Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players on the way out ?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Get rid of the development squad for a start, none of them remotely near a first team place even with the worst injury crisis the club has ever had. What is the point if none of them can step up ?

I'm pretty sure if Gus was still here we would have had someone step up from the U21s

whilst i don't prescribe to Ernest's solution, you gotta say he does have a point......the U21s don't really seem to offering many/any players pushing for first team places.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
whilst i don't prescribe to Ernest's solution, you gotta say he does have a point......the U21s don't really seem to offering many/any players pushing for first team places.

The academy has been open less than 18 months - surely it's a long term solution and not a quick fix? No kids at the beginning of their football education will be ready for the 1st team for a few years.

I do agree its not great the amount of prem rejects we have signed who are already 18 and not made an impression, but this is more poor scouting than coaching I would think?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

the current under 21s might not be up to much but the kids in the u13,14,15s etc are our potential golden generation and thats why we built the facility in the first place not for the now but the tommorow and further

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
the current under 21s might not be up to much but the kids in the u13,14,15s etc are our potential golden generation and thats why we built the facility in the first place not for the now but the tommorow and further

This.......the dev squad should be 'home grown' in 5 years or so.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

i dont disagree but you would still think we might have picked a few older ones pushing for a place....

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Get rid of the development squad for a start, none of them remotely near a first team place even with the worst injury crisis the club has ever had. What is the point if none of them can step up ?

I'm pretty sure if Gus was still here we would have had someone step up from the U21s

Its that clown thing again :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from March, JFC, Ince, Walton...
I think the comments about the development squad related to the present, rather than history. Walton made his 1st. team debut last year, Ince and March over two years ago, and JFC over five years ago. One or two looking like stepping up NOW would be welcome!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What is his value then? I have no idea.
Neither have any of us - there's just this broken record of 'he's an England U21 player (so he must be good/worth a lot of Wonga)'. The fact is that a list of former England U21 players reveals a whole lot of names who never went on to become full internationals, and spent most, if not all, of their subsequent careers as jobbing journeymen around the Championship or lower leagues.

We've had a few of them here - for example, Paul Kitson, Dan Harding, Joe Mattock, Joe Bennett and Gary Gardner; no superstars or mega-bucks transfers there. Being an England U21 in itself is no guarantee that the player will be worth a lot of money.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We reportedly turned down £2.5m for Stephens from Derby in August. He's going nowhere.

Is the right answer Derby got the same response as Fulham did for Dunk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I can see Holla and Chicksen going out if there are buyers. JFC on loan again I would guess.

Would like to see some of the new talent owning through.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A few days ago the Liverpool boards were reporting interest for kayal. It will be interesting to see what the ambition is from the board( IE bloom). I am not certain he will splash a hundred million, however I expect a few million pound type players coming in.

I wonder how long it will be before. we get to see the Scottish/Spanish wunderkid!

Sorry that JH has been bigged up in this way as I am sure that neither player nor club have created that expectation.

I hope that we give the guy a break !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] will be able to provide comedy value.

Clubs will no doubt be interested in Stephens and Kayak, but it'll take a rediculous transfer fee to get them at this stage of the season and our current position in the table.

Slight correction for you

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A few days ago the Liverpool boards were reporting interest for kayal. It will be interesting to see what the ambition is from the board( IE bloom). I am not certain he will splash a hundred million, however I expect a few million pound type players coming in.

I wonder how long it will be before. we get to see the scottish/Spanish wunderkid!

Call me the voice of doom if you wish, but . . .

I really can't see us signing 'a few million pound type players' as you put it, in this transfer window. As we know it is always notoriously difficult to do business in January, as other clubs are loathe to let players go mid season, and any that may be available are ridiculously overpriced.

As to Jack Harper, I don't envisage seeing him much before next season!

Hope I'm wrong on both counts mind you!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
JFK has a very long term injury. I doubt he'll find a club, unless it's on a pay-as-you-play deal.

Being shot in the head in Dallas in 1963 probably didn't do his prospects of first team football in the Championship much good.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No one unless some of these injuries clear up or we sign replacements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here