[Football] Player ratings Brighton vs Southampton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sanchez - 7 - Some very good bits, a little disappointed with the first goal and good with his feet
Veltman - 7 - Solid if unspectacular but game the ball away a lot in the second half
Dunk - 6 - Not his best game, not his worst
Webster - 5.5 - Not at his best (he's coming back from injury and is always worse) and the hospital pass for their second was frustrating
Cucurella - 7 - Good performance, but rookie error giving JWP a hit at goal from his perfect spot
Mwepu - 6 - Decent but easilu managed by Saints in the second half
Caicedo - 6 - As with Mwepu
Mac Allister - 8 - I thought he was fantastic today. Great passing and breaking up of play.
Trossard - 7 - Great 1st half, vanished for most of the 2nd
Maupay - 7 - Started really well, but faded in the second half. Created space for Welbeck to do what he did. Firmly established as the season's scapegoat
Welbeck - 9 - Superb all over the pitch. Dangerous going forward and creative too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sanchez - 7 - Some very good bits, a little disappointed with the first goal and good with his feet
Veltman - 7 - Solid if unspectacular but game the ball away a lot in the second half
Dunk - 6 - Not his best game, not his worst
Webster - 5.5 - Not at his best (he's coming back from injury and is always worse) and the hospital pass for their second was frustrating
Cucurella - 7 - Good performance, but rookie error giving JWP a hit at goal from his perfect spot
Mwepu - 6 - Decent but easilu managed by Saints in the second half
Caicedo - 6 - As with Mwepu
Mac Allister - 8 - I thought he was fantastic today. Great passing and breaking up of play.
Trossard - 7 - Great 1st half, vanished for most of the 2nd
Maupay - 7 - Started really well, but faded in the second half. Created space for Welbeck to do what he did. Firmly established as the season's scapegoat
Welbeck - 9 - Superb all over the pitch. Dangerous going forward and creative too

Spot on :thumbsup:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
MacAllister and Veltman shone.

Loved Sanchez holding on to that curling shot - keepers should do more of that. Most would have parried it away for a corner or back into play.

Maupay did some good stuff but also final ball was missing on a number of occasions

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sanchez 4
Veltman 7 - a fighter, used his nouse when Hassenhuttl overloaded him (which was a lot).
Dunk 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Webster 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Cucurella 2 - a defensive shocker, chaotic, leading to the first goal, shouldn’t play as a LB in a back 4.
Mwepu 4 - energy, poor decision making.
Caicedo 4 - energy, poor decision making.
Mac Allister 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Trossard 7 - got a really good look at his play second half, on another level.
Maupay 2
Welbeck 6

March 1 (I usually defend the guy)
Gross 6 - improved us in attack
Sarmiento n/a - to little time.

Potter 0 - changed the wonderful formula of no strikers, to two indifferent strikers, handing Hassenhuttl the gift of complete midfield control.

Zero for Potter is outrageously harsh in my opinion. Whilst Maupay was just Maupay, Welbeck was superb. Potter chose the right team and tactics to win this game....it was the players who then went and (marginally) let him down.

It wasn’t Potter’s fault we conceded that free kick, Webster gave the ball directly to WP, Gross had an excellent goal chalked off for a marginal offside. By your own admission above, many players were making bad decisions....Potter doesn’t tell them to do that.

I thought Potter did okay.

Agree with your Weltman assessment, he is so clever.

(And having seen your other comment yes, I was there :smile:)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
All 6s apart from:
Webster 4, shouldn’t have played, clearly not fully fit and was struggling within the first 5 mins. Cost us 2 points.
Cucu 5, worst 90 mins in the stripes IMO. His ‘defending’ when Livramento hit the post was shocking and unlike him.
Maupay 5, runs around a lot, um, that’s about it. He’s turning into a shitter version of Connor Gallagher.
Welbeck 7, worked just as hard as Maupay but actually looked a threat with an end product.

Potter didn’t do a lot wrong apart from possibly misjudging the fitness of Webster.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Zero for Potter is outrageously harsh in my opinion. Whilst Maupay was just Maupay, Welbeck was superb. Potter chose the right team and tactics to win this game....it was the players who then went and (marginally) let him down.

It wasn’t Potter’s fault we conceded that free kick, Webster gave the ball directly to WP, Gross had an excellent goal chalked off for a marginal offside. By your own admission above, many players were making bad decisions....Potter doesn’t tell them to do that.

I thought Potter did okay.

Agree with your Weltman assessment, he is so clever.

(And having seen your other comment yes, I was there :smile:)

We should've played the same formation and personnel as at Arsenal and Spurs, albeit replacing Bissouma (and Lamptey for one of those).

The zero or one striker set up worked brilliantly, why change a winning formula?

EPL games are invariably won in the midfield battle. We swamped Arsenal and Spurs, they couldn't live with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We should've played the same formation and personnel as at Arsenal and Spurs, albeit replacing Bissouma (and Lamptey for one of those).

The zero or one striker set up worked brilliantly, why change a winning formula?

EPL games are invariably won in the midfield battle. We swamped Arsenal and Spurs, they couldn't live with it.

I can think of a few reasons why Potter would change a team, not least the fact we'd played 3 of the big boys all away from home within 10 days and some players need a rest; I thought we looked tired against city. Saints play a very different game to those three. And the Tross, Welbeck and Maupay triumvirate has worked very well in the past.

But, my main point was that we drew due to some below par performances and some key decisions by players which Potter has little control over once they cross the line. Maybe Potter did not have the perfect day...but to give a big fat 0 is not just in my opinion.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can think of many reasons why Potter would change a team, not least the fact we'd played 3 of the big boys all away from home within 10 days and some players need a rest. Saints play a very different game to those three. And the Tross, Welbeck and Maupay triumvirate has worked very well in the past.

But, my main point was that we drew due to some below par performances and some key decisions by players which Potter has little control over once they cross the line. Maybe Potter did not have the perfect day...but to give a big fat 0 is not just in my opinion.
How come other teams play their best players constantly but ours need to rest after a few games? Sounds a cop out to me. Certain players don’t have the quality at this level it’s getting more obvious the longer we are in the PL. Potter does have control over what players he selects like any manager.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
regardless of who's fit, performing whatever, leaving a gaping hole in midfield for a headless chicken up front is stupid and was clear for all to see. Bringing Gross on helped, but it should have been for Maupay not Mwepu.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can think of a few reasons why Potter would change a team, not least the fact we'd played 3 of the big boys all away from home within 10 days and some players need a rest; I thought we looked tired against city. Saints play a very different game to those three. And the Tross, Welbeck and Maupay triumvirate has worked very well in the past.

My opinion is that the set up left Cucurella vulnerable throughout. We turned to each other on 5 or 10 minutes and said "Shit, they tearing us apart" as the ball pinged round our empty box, Veltman/Cucurella being overloaded time and time again.

Out of our 34 games, how often has the Maupay and Welbeck starting duet led to a win?

We'll have to agree to disagree. EPL matches are invariably won or lost in the midfield battle. The only typical exception to that, where a manager doesn't giving one jot, mass packing their defence and counter attacking to rob wins (every CPFC team before Viera). That's not Potter's style.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My opinion is that the set up left Cucurella vulnerable throughout. We turned to each other on 5 or 10 minutes and said "Shit, they tearing us apart" as the ball pinged round our empty box, Veltman/Cucurella being overloaded time and time again.

Out of our 34 games, how often has the Maupay and Welbeck starting duet led to a win?

We'll have to agree to disagree. EPL matches are invariably won or lost in the midfield battle. The only typical exception to that, where a manager doesn't giving one jot, mass packing their defence and counter attacking to rob wins (every CPFC team before Viera). That's not Potter's style.

I cannot say I was thinking "Shit, they tearing us apart" on 5-10 minutes. From this particular thread it's quite clear we all see games, and individual performances, quite differently. Let's agree to disagee.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

7 games, 3 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks, 3 wins out of 34.

I see where you're coming from but the stats aren't propping up the argument. While I'm sure you could say that Pep picks about eight midfielders each game and look where it's got him, there is a riposte: Klopp routinely only plays 3 midfielders and, yesterday, soon after he withdrew one of them and moved to a 424, Liverpool scored and went on to get another.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see where you're coming from but the stats aren't propping up the argument. While I'm sure you could say that Pep picks about eight midfielders each game and look where it's got him, there is a riposte: Klopp routinely only plays 3 midfielders and, yesterday, soon after he withdrew one of them and moved to a 424, Liverpool scored and went on to get another.

Can I just say that the Liverpool system’s uniquely fluid. You’ll see Mane and Salah 20 yards from their own goal after chasing back an opposition runner. Pace everywhere, sustainable for 90 minutes. Combinations of Fabinho and one/two others get support when not in possession.

[Not saying we should replicate that, way out of our budget and scouting network].

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
How come other teams play their best players constantly but ours need to rest after a few games? Sounds a cop out to me. Certain players don’t have the quality at this level it’s getting more obvious the longer we are in the PL. Potter does have control over what players he selects like any manager.

He might have control what players he selects. However, he has no control over the fact that a good percentage of the players at his disposal, would struggle to make an impact in The Championship.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He might have control what players he selects. However, he has no control over the fact that a good percentage of the players at his disposal, would struggle to make an impact in The Championship.

Absolute nonsense. Like who?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports