Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Player ratings Brighton vs Southampton

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sanchez - 6 should have done better at the free kick, beaten twice from outside the box.

Veltman - 7 worked hard and did plenty of covering for others
Webster - 5. Very rusty
Dunk - 5 . . .just way below his best
Cucurella - 7 worked hard and did plenty of covering for others

Mac Allister - 8
Caicedo - 7
Mwepu - 6

Trossard - 7 doesn't play so well with Maupay
Maupay - 4 nothing positive to say.
Webeck - 8MOM

Gross - 7
March - 6

Both brought on not for their strengths but for the managers crack pot idea today

Sarmiento - n/a

Ref 3 - piss poor

Potter 3 - should have nailed it, but ****ed it up in the second half.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6
Veltman - 7
Cucurella - 6
Dunk - 5 - one of his poorest games for some time
Webster - 4 - pleased he’s back, but was dreadful
Caciedo - 6
MacAllister - 6
Mwepu - 4 - clumsy in possession, literally no positional discipline which frequently left us exposed
Trossard - 7 some marvellous little spins and turns, back on form
Maupay - 6 worked very hard
Welbeck - 7 - lots of good touches, better when he stays more central

Gross - 6 - great sub we needed him, as we gained better shape with him centrally and when Solly finally switched
Solly - 6
Sarmiento - N/A

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Potter must take the blame for this one. Why change things when we have played well for two and a half games?

Why bring back Webster when he is clearly short of match practice? His inclusion disrupted the defence and probably partly responsible for Dunk's poor performance?

Why start with two strikers when we have done well recently with none? Makes no sense. Disrupting the midfield didn't help Mwepu's game.

Someone suggested that he started Maupay as he was expecting penalties during the game!!

Frustrating performance..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought Webster was poor and that soon brought down Dunk. Not sure Cucurella was anywhere near as bad as those two today.

We need to get Trossard on the ball more of the game , don't let him go missing by playing the ball to him and play him more central.

Thought Gross was ok when he came on, Solly is not doing himself any favours by electing to pass when he should cross or shoot. Missed an 'easy' header by missing the ball completely.

Sarmiento had to be on with at least 15 minutes if not 20.

I would have preferred to see Fergusson given game time ahead of March.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Groß and Solly improved things when they came on, we were really struggling in the second half before that
Webster was miles off it, and it was his awful pass that led to their second goal
Maupay (as usual) worked his nuts off and was very good first half, but faded after HT (with little service TBF)
Happy with Welbeck as MOM, even if it’s just for what he did for our second goal (but it wasn’t)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sums it up for me. Thought we were decent in the first half and then lost our form in the 2nd half giving the ball away needlessly and stupid fouls and but still created far more than they did. Nothing like Burnley game capitualtion or even Villa and Norwich lack of effort.
:

This is how I saw it as well. I’ll add that Potter changed things around so we had a good push in the last 10 or so minutes which culminated in a “goal.”

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sanchez 4
Veltman 7 - a fighter, used his nouse when Hassenhuttl overloaded him (which was a lot).
Dunk 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Webster 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Cucurella 2 - a defensive shocker, chaotic, leading to the first goal, shouldn’t play as a LB in a back 4.
Mwepu 4 - energy, poor decision making.
Caicedo 4 - energy, poor decision making.
Mac Allister 4 - likes to pass to Stains players
Trossard 7 - got a really good look at his play second half, on another level.
Maupay 2
Welbeck 6

March 1 (I usually defend the guy)
Gross 6 - improved us in attack
Sarmiento n/a - to little time.

Potter 0 - changed the wonderful formula of no strikers, to two indifferent strikers, handing Hassenhuttl the gift of complete midfield control.

If Potter left and you took over, I would find another team to support. 49000 posts and you are so negative I wonder why you bother.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Potter left and you took over, I would find another team to support. 49000 posts and you are so negative I wonder why you bother.

I was there today, Southampton ran much of the game, we kept passing it to them, we couldn’t live with their midfield.

Only Gross coming on changed it for the better.

It’s alright for you from the sofa, where every home and away game is the same. Three home wins since August pisses people off making the real world trek.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
MOM Welbeck 9 outstanding. Wooden spoon for a shocking poor again performance, far too slow distribution and the wrong pass from GK Sanchez 4; Caicedo average but what I really liked was occasions when he got really stuck in, reminded me off myself cant get the ball kick the sh1t outta the player, he did the former though and Im warming to him. Need to see more of him overall but improving.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
MOM Welbeck 9 outstanding. Wooden spoon for a shocking poor again performance, far too slow distribution and the wrong pass from GK Sanchez 4; Caicedo average but what I really liked was occasions when he got really stuck in, reminded me off myself cant get the ball kick the sh1t outta the player, he did the former though and Im warming to him. Need to see more of him overall but improving.

Tbf, they kicked the sh1t out of him

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rob Sanchez 6
Joel Veltman 8 -
Lewis Dunk 6 -
Adam Webster 5 -
Marc Cucurella 6 - .
Enock Mwepu 6 -
Moises Caicedo 6 -
Alexis Macallister 7 -
Leandro Trossard 5 -
Neal Maupay 5 -
Danny Welbeck 7 -
Subs:
Solly March 4 -
Pascal Gross 4 -

At last scores I agree with. I think some are being overly harsh on Sanchez because he didn't save the free kick - couple of points on that - 1. JWP is one of the best dead ball players in the league, 2. Sanchez had a wall in front of him of all 10 outfield players - must have looked like the Berlin Wall. Equally no credit for his splendid save in the second half.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Also watched live from WSU and seriously struggling to see what you saw in Welbeck's performance that you give him man of the match?

Apart from the goal; the pass, movement and pressure for the second goal; the Forster save and constant physical presence winning long balls? Tough crowd. MOM by a distance for me

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Surprised by the low scores for Maupay thought he was a real nuisance first half and he robbed the ball off the centre half to create another clear chance for Wellbeck which nearly resulted in a goal. As with Wellbeck he faded in the second half as Southampton got a foothold in the game but seeing a 4 or 5 score for him is very harsh IMO.

Also referee takes some of the blame for Southampton’s dominance they kicked mwepu and Caicedo off the park yet very few clear fouls were given

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At last scores I agree with. I think some are being overly harsh on Sanchez because he didn't save the free kick - couple of points on that - 1. JWP is one of the best dead ball players in the league, 2. Sanchez had a wall in front of him of all 10 outfield players - must have looked like the Berlin Wall. Equally no credit for his splendid save in the second half.

JWP has beaten far better ‘keepers than Sanchez with his dead balls. If there’s any criticism to be made, it should be aimed at those who conceded the free kick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from the goal; the pass, movement and pressure for the second goal; the Forster save and constant physical presence winning long balls? Tough crowd. MOM by a distance for me

Apart from all that, what else did he do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here