Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planet Earth II

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was one of the best episodes of a natural world programme that I have ever seen. Even the back-slapping exercise at the end that has now crept into BBC natural world film-making was genuinely interesting.

Superb stuff.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It was one of the best episodes of a natural world programme that I have ever seen. Even the back-slapping exercise at the end that has now crept into BBC natural world film-making was genuinely interesting.

Superb stuff.

Never been a fan of the 'diaries' segment (or whatever it happens to be called each series). It can be interesting to see how Hingis are don,pe, but it's quite repetitive and detracts from the proper majesty of letting the footage speak for itself, I also don't like the way they act as if all the crew are some sort of heroes who put themselves in peril for free. Surprised they don't just create a spin off 30 minute show like all reality shows have now. 80 minutes content for hardly any more money.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Do you realise that all the camera crew are freelance? Or that they do end up in some pretty dodgy situations? I find the post episode segment as good as the programme itself albeit for different reasons.

A mate of mine filmed regularly with Attenborough and I'll never forget him telling me that a life was lost when they were trying to film that famous snow leopards segment. In his words no natural history footage is worth a human life. So when you say they are portrayed as some sort of hero's, perhaps that's what they are on occasion.

Have a read of one of his blogs regarding how he came to work with Attenborough here:-

http://hughmiles9.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/exploring-new-guinea-with-david.html?m=1

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What about the Albatrosses? They looked computer generated...obviously they weren't, but they looked like something out of Avatar. And you've got to love the comedy that DA adds when talking about the poor fella waiting for his mate - and shots like the one where a penguin waddles past, entirely uninterested.

David Attenborough is 90. What a man! My dad knew him. Wish he'd introduced us...

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Do you realise that all the camera crew are freelance? Or that they do end up in some pretty dodgy situations? I find the post episode segment as good as the programme itself albeit for different reasons.

A mate of mine filmed regularly with Attenborough and I'll never forget him telling me that a life was lost when they were trying to film that famous snow leopards segment. In his words no natural history footage is worth a human life. So when you say they are portrayed as some sort of hero's, perhaps that's what they are on occasion.

Have a read of one of his blogs regarding how he came to work with Attenborough here:-

http://hughmiles9.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/exploring-new-guinea-with-david.html?m=1

Very good read that, I certainly never knew that he came up with the idea for match of the day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What about the Albatrosses? They looked computer generated...obviously they weren't, but they looked like something out of Avatar. And you've got to love the comedy that DA adds when talking about the poor fella waiting for his mate - and shots like the one where a penguin waddles past, entirely uninterested.

David Attenborough is 90. What a man! My dad knew him. Wish he'd introduced us...

I thought exactly that, in HD their markings were so distinct they looked like CGI birds from a Pixar film, and their movement and the brilliant commentary just added to that.

If you only want to watch the racer snakes bit then you might as well see it on http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gogglebox/on-demand/62778-008 (c.33 mins in), because they show just about all of it but you get the comments of the Gogglebox regulars too. They mirror those on this thread, with everyone rooting for the lizards and nobody defending the snakes' right to survive. Two of the women are hiding behind their knitting and a cushion, but another asks a searching question: How does the newly hatched iguana know that these snakes can only detect movement? I don't beleive it's instinct, and I'm wondering if this infant lizard is already intelligent enough to realise that if it runs, then it's a sign of weakness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here