Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planet Earth II

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Truly astounding television of the highest order. I can't even imagine the effort that has to go into even a minutes viewing time.
Fascinating stuff. The snakes were like something out of the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Can we please have more quality stuff like this at the expense of Britains got talent, Strictly come dancing, cake baking and all the other poop that is on?

The cost of producing it is about 50x (*) per minute than that of bake-off. 4 years to make; 82,000 DVD's worth of recorded footage, 2000 days in the field, 120 separate filming locations. Compare that to a dozen weekends filming in a tent in an English country hotel's garden. If the licence fee payer were prepared to stump up 50x the current fee, I'm sure the Beeb would love to produce nothing but high cost programming.

On topic: those snakes can just do one.

* quick back of the fag packet mental arithmetic estimate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Truly astounding television of the highest order. I can't even imagine the effort that has to go into even a minutes viewing time.

The 'Diaries' segment at the end of each programme shows just some of the extreme lengths the production crew have to go to in order to capture these stunning scenes. As you say, truly astounding.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Can we please have more quality stuff like this at the expense of Britains got talent, Strictly come dancing, cake baking and all the other poop that is on?

Come on Grubby, can you tell me any other way to keep the wife quiet for an hour or more. Sheer bliss for me, as I can catch up on NSC without interruption.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Come on Grubby, can you tell me any other way to keep the wife quiet for an hour or more. Sheer bliss for me, as I can catch up on NSC without interruption.

Good point and well made but my sentiments remain. Worth the licence fee alone in my opinion. The other stuff can "do one" as the youngsters say.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Good point and well made but my sentiments remain. Worth the licence fee alone in my opinion. The other stuff can "do one" as the youngsters say.

I loved it, but I am guessing with wildlife programmes you soon run out of truly exceptional TV, no matter how wonderous the planet might be most of animals lives as our own are pretty mundane, there are not many gangs of snakes, dragons and diehard penguins about, you are soon back to countryfile ..................

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The cost of producing it is about 50x (*) per minute than that of bake-off. 4 years to make; 82,000 DVD's worth of recorded footage, 2000 days in the field, 120 separate filming locations. Compare that to a dozen weekends filming in a tent in an English country hotel's garden. If the licence fee payer were prepared to stump up 50x the current fee, I'm sure the Beeb would love to produce nothing but high cost programming.

Those bloody snakes, amazing, but never trust anything that moves that fast and doesn't have legs.

This :eek:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ne-live-reptile-intrudes-on-flight-in-mexico/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don't know about the other programmes, but when I vote for the dancers on Strictly, it costs money, so therefore it's topping up the licence fee and helping to pay for the other stuff. I also vote online which is free.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know about the other programmes, but when I vote for the dancers on Strictly, it costs money, so therefore it's topping up the licence fee and helping to pay for the other stuff. I also vote online which is free.

I never understand the motivation to vote on those (or any) shows, I genuinely don't.

About the only one of that ilk that I watch is I'm a Celeb, but never once have I felt even the slightest inclination to go to the bother of voting. I don't geddit.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

I'm sure the BBC would sell 82,000x more DVDs of snakes chasing down an running iguana steak than Paul Hollywood's preening.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not exactly SWIMMING tho is it? More of a SLOTHY-PADDLE really

Paddle ? That stream was pretty DEEP. I thought he did alright. Fair play to the fella, swimming across a current on the offchance of climbing up a tree and getting his end away. Shame he only found that single mum, I was quite up for watching a bit of SLOTHSEX.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Paddle ? That stream was pretty DEEP. I thought he did alright. Fair play to the fella, swimming across a current on the offchance of climbing up a tree and getting his end away. Shame he only found that single mum, I was quite up for watching a bit of SLOTHSEX.

I found the display of Komodo Dragon foreplay quite disconcerting enough, thank you very much.

I can only reiterate the very wise words of The Bloodhound Gang on this topic:

'Me and you baby ain't nothing but mammals
So let's do it like they do on The Discovery Channel'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here