Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plan B..? Your thoughts

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hope Bozza is charging these people for this free content for their show.

They may as well have a message on a loop saying:

"We have nothing new to say, we have resorted to reading out internet threads, go to North Stand Chat.com for real news and views on Brighton and Hove Albion. We have nothing new to say, we have resorted to reading out internet threads, go to ........"

I heard the presenters a few weeks ago mumbling on about "we like the interweb on this show (well done you - welcome to the C21st) , here are some messages from it". Feeble.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bad SCR! That's a bad SCR! How dare you ask a difficult question!

Martin Perry says the money fairies are coming with pots and pots of cash so why don't you beleive him?

Bloomin journo's!

It's not journalism though, is it? It's more of this abdication of responsibility to actually make proper radio programmes with properly researched and put-together items, and instead try and get the listeners to do all the work for you very cheaply.

If they had bothered to - with or without the input of the club - go out and ask planning sources, whoever, about the possibility of a Plan B, that would be different. But they haven't.

Fair enough to have one post-match phone-in to get fans views - but before the match let's have some proper programme-making. If I want to listen to the view of the bloke in the pub, I'll be in the pub.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Yawn

Plan B: let's use the phone in to talk about the Walsall game!!!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Plan B is to build a stadium in Mile Oak made entirely of forks.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Plan B is to build a stadium in Mile Oak made entirely of forks.

My plan B was to relocate (MK Dons style).

We could become the Isle of Wight Seagulls and play on a School field in Cowes.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's not journalism though, is it? It's more of this abdication of responsibility to actually make proper radio programmes with properly researched and put-together items, and instead try and get the listeners to do all the work for you very cheaply.

If they had bothered to - with or without the input of the club - go out and ask planning sources, whoever, about the possibility of a Plan B, that would be different. But they haven't.

Fair enough to have one post-match phone-in to get fans views - but before the match let's have some proper programme-making. If I want to listen to the view of the bloke in the pub, I'll be in the pub.

The problem is, SCR wants more people to phone in and give their views. Over the years Harty and the team have appealed for people to phone in and express their views and generally this has fallen on deaf ears.

i know people are not happy sometimes talking on the radio, as I found out when I went around the Sportaman after one game trying to get people on to talk about the game. So therefore the same people tend to phone in...surayah, aland from HH, Dave from Brighton, Phil etc . Everynowandagain you get a gem ( Ade Newnhams call re Baker was one of those) BUT people on here whinge and moan about Ian's style, but the answer to that is that if there are all the lights flashing with people wanting to speak, then logically, he woill have more people to speak to.....if no-one phones in then you cant expect him to sit in silence.

When Levo and I did it after the MK Dons micky mouse cup game, we had two callers!!!!! Listening to Simaon and me chatting for half and hour to ourselves peobably either increased the suicide rate or the birth rate as people thought " bugger this I am off to bed".

Its really up to the people of Sussex....if you want a phoen in then you are going to have to support it, or if Crawley get into the league, you may find they get more airtime...then see what the binfest will be like on here

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gaffer, I do think you're missing my point. I think Harty does a great phone-in, and he's a very good host. What I am criticising is the over-reliance by the station (and not just this station) on this form of filling airtime.

I want to hear professional broadcast journalists producing great stuff, supplemented by the odd phone-in. It's becoming all phone-in/audience led.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gaffer, I do think you're missing my point. I think Harty does a great phone-in, and he's a very good host. What I am criticising is the over-reliance by the station (and not just this station) on this form of filling airtime.

I want to hear professional broadcast journalists producing great stuff, supplemented by the odd phone-in. It's becoming all phone-in/audience led.

I have no problem with that, and to be honest I have no axe to grind with the Phone in...ireally enjoyed it when I helped out and things have moved on, BUT they are constantly trying to get interest.......last year it was the before during and after people, this year, Ian gets more fans as guests( you can only listen to so much of my whinging voice)....SCR put stuff on here to see what sort of reaction they get and when it gets quiet they can fill by reading some of it.

The issue is, are phone ins becoming a thing of the past? If so what replaces it...The Internet MessageBoards? probably

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Have you ever listened to the phone in? That's all it is, the view of the bloke in a pub (or some stupid old girl who can't be long for this world).

I gave up listening some time ago for two very simple reasons a) Harty likes the sound of his own voice far too much b) the quality of the callers was dreadful and the same people week in week out. You'd get:

A teenager who probably posts on here and is clearly a bit of nerdy geek with few friends all of which you can hear in the background.

The dotty old girl I mentioned above

A child (8 - 12 years old)

The bloke from Haywards Heath

Dave The Gaffer

If it's changed then I might give it another go.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Plan B: Build a cheap 8,000 seater stadium in the field at Falmer, after 5 years give it a roof.

Plan C: Invest heavily in the Euro-lottery on a double roll-over week.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dave The Gaffer

If it's changed then I might give it another go.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

you can start listening again then Phillip

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmmm you seem to have got the word worried confused with delighted. Surely that is what they want?
I know it's what they WANT. But they should be worried that they might not be able to appreciate their victory.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Plan B involves everyone that normally buys a Withdean Wager ticket to agree that the £1 instead buys a Euro Millions lottery ticket, with all winnings going to the club in the hope that we can hit the jackpot.

*thinks about it*

Actually that's not a bad idea:p

Edit: Can't believe I didn't see Winkers post above before I posted that:down:

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Down by The Concorde, a 3,000 seat (that's what it said in The Arsgas)beach vollyball arena was knocked up in about 3 days. give em 2 weeks notice this time and we'll be sorted

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is NO plan B...its Falmer or bust!!!

eeek

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Why would the stadium fall "victim" to the "credit crunch"? Most of the money is coming from Lottery and Football Foundation funding which is unaffected by the "credit crunch".

Plus we've had this conversation a hundred times before - why can't SCR think of something else more imaginitive to discuss!

The maximum grant available from the football foundation is £2M. We have also secured a grant of over £5M from SEEDA.

Beyond that is speculation. I'm not aware of any lottery funding, but maybe Sport England could contribute.

I think the educational facilities will also possibly mean we qualify for additional grants, although how much is anybody's guess. However these will be to pay for the classrooms etc, not the stadium which will mean they certainly won't cover the entire cost.

I expect some funding will be from directors loans. We don't have billionaire owners but I'm sure some board members and/or owners must be millionaires. The naming rights might bring in a decent wedge too.

Unfortunately, even with all these sources, the majority of funding is almost certainly going to be from financial institutions. But remember banks make money by lending. They can't just stop lending altogether. With them running scared from domestic mortgages they will be looking for other opportunities. A project like this might be considered a much safer investment than housing at the moment. I'm trying to remain positive.

I'm sure the club would never publicly admit it (with good reason), but I expect plan B would involve building Falmer in stages as per the original plan which of course would require a smaller initial loan. One way or another it will be built.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here