Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
'Skill' in the late 80s.

What really gets my goat is 'the proof is in the pudding'. No, it isn't.
I once had a trifle that was pretty pokey. There was definitely some proof.

made by a real skill kid.

skill and rad(ical) were BMX early 80's, at least for me.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
On similar lines, incorrect use of the word ‘literally’.

“I literally died with laughter”

I THINK YOU MEAN ‘FIGURATIVELY’

The dictionary literally says that this use is not incorrect :)

Screenshot 2023-04-22 1.15.09 PM.png

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why would you want presenters to speak in anything but a normal and natural way?

As a language teacher, I always drill "gonna, wanna, shoulda, woulda, coulda" into my students as that's how they are most often pronounced. It's hardly a new thing either. The latter three date back to the 14th century.

These days "I'ma" is becoming an increasingly common variant of gonna in the States. Has this spread to the UK yet?
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/imma
Because no-one I know or speak to uses this dreadful lazy teenage crap. Sorry if I gunna offend you...

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
I have never, and will never, call anyone "Bro".
Even if I had a brother, I would never call him that.

Also, when asked a question I would never answer in the affirmative, "100%".

Probably an age thing.
Don't ever move to New Zealand. In Auckland, 'bro' features in every sentence.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Because no-one I know or speak to uses this dreadful lazy teenage crap. Sorry if I gunna offend you...

You must have a peculiar group of friends and acquaintances. I've just checked the Hansard Corpus and it's been used multiple times in Parliament over the past 100 years. Aside from that, there are over 12000 citations on the British National Corpus, taken from conversations, church sermons, business meetings and university lectures. (Yes, I'm a word nerd with time on his hands).

I'd say it's so normal that you don't even notice it when people say it.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You must have a peculiar group of friends and acquaintances. I've just checked the Hansard Corpus and it's been used multiple times in Parliament over the past 100 years. Aside from that, there are over 12000 citations on the British National Corpus, taken from conversations, church sermons, business meetings and university lecturers. (Yes, I'm a word nerd with time on his hands).

I'd say it's so normal that you don't even notice it when people say it.
No, I still work all over the UK and am an HPL at a London University. No-one that I deal with, except the odd Student, uses them.

I mark down my Students when they use colloquial Language in their Assignments and put it in their Feedback.

I'm a Sidesman at my Local Church and have never heard them used there in 20 years.

Almeria clearly a different place to Sullington. Thank You for your insult about my friends.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I once had a trifle that was pretty pokey. There was definitely some proof.

made by a real skill kid.

skill and rad(ical) were BMX early 80's, at least for me.
Was going to (gonna) say, skill was definitely early 80s for me too. (50 now but still think, ooh that's nice when I see some kid on a bmx)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Seriously?? 'I'm gonna go to the shops.' That's not 'lazy teenage crap', it's literally how almost every native speaker speaks.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
This :thumbsup: (with slight edit)

Anyone that went to school in Brighton probably did sports day at the stadium, and it was always known as Withdean or Withdean Stadium.
I don’t actually remember hearing anyone call it “The Withdean” until the Albion played there.
It’s always bugged me 😁

I didn’t go to school in Brighton but my Dad did. He’s often told me about one particular sports day he did there. My memory is a little hazy now but somehow one boy inadvertently exposed himself (shorts split or fell down or something) towards the end of the race.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Footballers being interviewed, commencing their reply with "Yeah no".
Wait, what?
It's so common, Harry Kane does it for every bloody answer!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Before a game has even kicked off " I would take a draw".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here