Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
“Welcome in!”

Frequently heard when entering shops / restaurants in the USA - never heard it here thankfully.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
"What goes around comes around" - no it doesn't

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Almost unique - WTF!!

No doubt about it (as in, if xxx hadn't had to go off, we'd have won, no doubt about it) - of course there effing was!

"like" - don't start me off

"regularly" when they mean "frequently" - as in "He regularly scores goals like that" (no he doesn't)

<insert club name here> are certain of buying <insert player/managers name> from Brighton in the Summer

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No, I still work all over the UK and am an HPL at a London University. No-one that I deal with, except the odd Student, uses them.

I mark down my Students when they use colloquial Language in their Assignments and put it in their Feedback.

I'm a Sidesman at my Local Church and have never heard them used there in 20 years.

Almeria clearly a different place to Sullington. Thank You for your insult about my friends.

I'm not insulting your friends but simply saying their spoken English is unusual.

Almería is certainly a different place to Sullington but the corpus data I referenced is from the UK.

Presumably, the assignments you refer to are written but we're discussing spoken English, aren't we?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm not insulting your friends but simply saying their spoken English is unusual.

Almería is certainly a different place to Sullington but the corpus data I referenced is from the UK.

Presumably, the assignments you refer to are written but we're discussing spoken English, aren't we?
The assignments are written but much of the language they use is laughably bad for Scientific Papers. I can only presume they speak that way as well.

We clearly are not going to agree so I am going to leave this thread.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
“I know rite” (I spelt it like this as I think that is how they would think right is spelt)

Drives me mad hearing that.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
What’s with this “sorry if fixtures” malarkey?

Can someone explain the origin, cheers Fam
From loads of people separately posting "when do the fixtures come out?" weeks and weeks before the date the coming season's fixtures are due to be published.

"Fixtures" came to mean something that's been posted about many times already.

I briefly considered replying to your post with "fixtures" because this is a question that has been asked many times before, but luckily you caught me in a helpful mood :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Was going to (gonna) say, skill was definitely early 80s for me too. (50 now but still think, ooh that's nice when I see some kid on a bmx)
I built a BMX 'for my son' about 10 years ago. . . He wasn't particularly taken by it, and I managed about 100 yards. They do look good though.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And we'll be back at Wembley in June for the all Manchester FA cup final. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here