Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phobias

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Stasiphobia - a fear of standing...i think Zaha has this one.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Medectophobia - The fear that the contour of your penis is visible through clothing.....you really couldn't make that up!

Mine's so big that it wouldn't matter to me but it may cause a lot of women to faint. :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was hoping there was going to be a special word for a fear of telephones but the best they could come up with was "Telephone phobia", I bet that took a lot of thought.

Telephonephobia is correct

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
They obviously couldn't come a consensus either

Friggatriskaidekaphobia, Paraskavedekatriaphobia, Paraskevidekatriaphobia – fear of Friday the 13th

I quite like:
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia – fear of the number 666
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - fear of long words Spasmenagaliaphobia (neologism; no official name) – fear of broken glass

Ha. Love this one. Couldn't they find anything longer :lol:
I wonder if fear of short words is just "P" ???

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Mine's so big that it wouldn't matter to me but it may cause a lot of women to faint. :thumbsup:

They must suffer from Aichuriphobia if they faint...the fear of being poked by a pointed object.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I you have this one, you really won't like this thread....

Phobatriviaphobia - the fear of trivia about phobias

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
My phobia is buoys in the sea - the big ones with bells or other stuff on them...like the one in the opening scene of Jaws...can't stand them!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I rather hoped mine would have an elaborate name that I could disguise my phobia with, but alas:

Jellyfish phobia :facepalm:

I'm alright with pictures, but if I see one in real life I go all weird and can't speak...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A good snowy morning to you all.

For reasons I understand, but don't wish to divulge, I'm literally terrified to answer telephones. It might sound a bit odd, but it's a genuine phobia I've had for 30 years. Anyway, it just got me thinking....What irrational ( or rational if you know why I guess ) fears do you have?

Strange that as great granny used to hide in a cupboard if the phone rang at our house when she was visiting. She never had a phone herself and just could not get her head around the technology. Never did understand the completely over the top way she acted over this.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Strange that as great granny used to hide in a cupboard if the phone rang at our house when she was visiting. She never had a phone herself and just could not get her head around the technology. Never did understand the completely over the top way she acted over this.

I'm not quite at the stage of hiding or running away, but I do 'freeze' or 'clam up' when the phone goes. Caller ID helps massively as I then have an idea who's at the other end. It's the unknown numbers that get me. Bit of a bugger really, as I need to use my mobile for business purposes. Things have got to the point where I try to direct any customers to my website and email, to keep in contact with me, rather than phone.
I'm thinking that the idea of facing my fears head on is the best way forward as this silly behaviour can't continue!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Tablets!

Not scared of them, just can't swallow the feckers... And I have to take them everyday!!!

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
heights i cried on the london eye i was scared stiff

needles it took 5 teachers at school to hold me down for one of the jabs it was horrible

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here