Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phobias

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Up to the age of 16 or so i was also shite scared of phones, couldn`t answer them or dial a call.Could of been down to the fact that we never had a phone at home all the time i was a kid.

And has i`ve got older the dentist,totally petrified of the bastards.I got to go in 2 weeks time and i`m already shitting myself !!
Some people find this strange how a 19 stone,6ft 5in,47 year old can be shit scared of the dentist.I put this down to having to go has a kid when they never gave you any sort of pain relief.

So maybe some phobias do have something to do with what happened when you were a kid and not the fact that you were born with them ?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Not a fan of telephones either. I think it's the mystery of who will be on the other end. Completely irrational I know.

Also have an aversion to haircuts. Not so much the process itself, used to shave my own head on a regular basis. It's the whole going to barber's thing that I like to avoid, much to the consternation of my girlfriend.
I'm no longer alone! :)

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Butterflies and moths which my mates think is great, especially when we going through butterfly houses at the zoo.
also canoe's I used to love conoeing as a kid and got all my bcu badges as a scout, but on a family day out my sister tightened my spraydeck up so tight i couldn't undo it when i capsized. Was under for about two minutes ended up ripping the fabric and cockpit of the canoe apart. cant get in a canoe now although have recently been trying and have managed to at least sit in one

Yay more butterflies wohoo i don't feel so odd

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Also have an aversion to haircuts. Not so much the process itself, used to shave my own head on a regular basis. It's the whole going to barber's thing that I like to avoid, much to the consternation of my girlfriend.

Is it to do with have to make crappy small talk? There used to be a barbers in Manchester where the guy spoke about 3 words to you unless you struck up conversation with him, i used to go to the barbers more often back then.

I also used to know someone who had a phobia of bananas and someone else who had a phobia of tissues, both a bit odd.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Dentists firstly, was butchered as a kid when I had 2 bottom wisdom teeth out aged 10 before they had come through my gums. In hospital for 3 weeks as the stitches kept undoing in my mouth.

Secondly heights but only when I get within a couple of feet from the edge. All was ok until I did a parachute jump aged 16

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Never comfortable on the phone - say your business and hang up - chit chat - no.

Dentists - does anyone like them?

Hairdressers - yep I always put it off, but once I'm inside it feels ok.

The huge, spine shaking, toe curling phobia for me is - wooden lolly sticks. If a dry wooden stick touches my tongue I freak out and mehhyaaayyaaaa can't even think about it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Dentists - does anyone like them?

Until recently I had a very real phobia of dentists, so much so it was about 20 odd years since I'd been to one and my teeth were a complete and utter mess.

Organised through my GP I went through a course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and I've now been to the dentist four times in the last three months and am finally getting my teeth sorted.

If anyones phobia is having an impact on their lives, I would thoroughly recommend CBT :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I watched a video the other day in AS Psychology about a woman who had an extreme phobia of feathers. Even a small feather would freak her out. She decided to confront her fear and after two hours of sitting with s professional she was able to hold a big feather right up at her face with relative ease. She had never been able to do that for 30 because she was always so petrified. It just goes to show that phobias can be dealt with with a little bit of courage.

This is called flooding i believe, a common way to combat extreme phobias.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Flying, heights and snakes, therefore Snakes on a plane IS my worst nightmare.

I'm incredibly mindful of snakes, I have to be. In a few weeks I'll be building a house for myself on a patch of wild land in India on which I've already encountered cobras, rat snakes and various small vipers. It's also prime Russel's viper territory (the most lethal snake in India) and King cobras are not unheard of, let alone reticulated pythons. Bring it on!!! It's the sharks that really bother me.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Kuraenothnetophobia is a wierd one - the fear of man made sattelites falling on ones head...

And i'd be pretty pissed off if i had this one..Kolpophobia - a fear of female genitals! :tantrum:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A friend of mine has a massive phobia of FRUIT JUICE for some reason. This includes seeing a fruit juice carton, bottle or even just fruit juice in a glass. If you approach him with any fruit juice-related item in your hand, he will go mental. Bizarre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here