Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phobias

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
An ex of mine had/has a phobia of unvarnished wood. Could never have an ice lolly for example. One time one of her housemates superglued a wooden spoon to her room door handle and she was literally stuck in her room for hours because she couldnt go anywhere near the door.
She was on some tv show a couple of years ago for people who have irrational fears (the trannie from big brother was on it aswell) and was hynotised by a couple of quacks to imagine wood felt like cotton wool or something. She wasnt cured.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Dentists firstly, was butchered as a kid when I had 2 bottom wisdom teeth out aged 10 before they had come through my gums. In hospital for 3 weeks as the stitches kept undoing in my mouth.

Secondly heights but only when I get within a couple of feet from the edge. All was ok until I did a parachute jump aged 16

Yes me too. The dentist was just looking in my mouth and was then called outside by his secretary, he came back and preceded to pull the tooth, completely forgetting he had not given me any anesthetic injections. That hurt like a bitch, and I have been phobic about them ever since.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
My mates wife was terrified of chickens. Its looking over the edge of high objects that does me, but i love looking down from a plane. A few years back when my brothers wife had a baby at the RSCH i looked out of the window on level 9 and passed out. Woke up with my head resting on the bosom of a fair maiden (nurse)

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
A friend of mine has a massive phobia of FRUIT JUICE for some reason. This includes seeing a fruit juice carton, bottle or even just fruit juice in a glass. If you approach him with any fruit juice-related item in your hand, he will go mental. Bizarre.

I've got a mate who is exactly the same with ketchup. It really is odd.

For me, it's heights... I feel physically sick when up high, so the front row of the WSU would definitely be out of bounds!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
An ex of mine had/has a phobia of unvarnished wood. Could never have an ice lolly for example. One time one of her housemates superglued a wooden spoon to her room door handle and she was literally stuck in her room for hours because she couldnt go anywhere near the door.
She was on some tv show a couple of years ago for people who have irrational fears (the trannie from big brother was on it aswell) and was hynotised by a couple of quacks to imagine wood felt like cotton wool or something. She wasnt cured.

Wooden Lolly sticks!! I'm not alone! Now we have something in common, is your ex hot?

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Hospitals.

Everything about them is a nightmare. The smell of disinfectant and dead people, hardly any windows, uncomfortable beds and feeling like a prisoner before being discharged. I would rather die than spend a fortnight in one. Ugh!

Heights to a point-Don't mind anything where there is a feeling of being secure/safe ie rollercoasters, zipwire, london eye etc, however when doing tour of the Millenium Stadium was terrified whilst doing the top tier bit, and after walking (and in some parts crawling) to the top I immediately went straight back down, the steepness of it was unbearable!!

Having had a numbing injections so i could have stitches in my top lip after a scooter accident, and the same in my mouth for some teeth to be taken out so I could have braces, I despise needles. Seem to remember nearly passing out before having my Meningitis jab at middle school!!

Wasps, never been stung but having seen the pain my sister went through when she was stung in the foot whilst on holiday in Barbados I always get very nervous when the buggers are around! Not too fond of snakes either but never had a problem with spiders!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not a fan of telephones either. I think it's the mystery of who will be on the other end. Completely irrational I know.

Also have an aversion to haircuts. Not so much the process itself, used to shave my own head on a regular basis. It's the whole going to barber's thing that I like to avoid, much to the consternation of my girlfriend.

I'm the same with both of these.

Telephones - like you say it's the mystery of who is on the other end and then having to think of things to say, I'm one of those people that instantly thinks of the things I was supposed to say as soon as I put the phone down, I think it's a nerves thing.

Haircut - just get it over with and don't even think about striking up a conversation with me!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The usual for me: dwarfs and pigeondogs.

Bird-Dog-67391.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Telephones - like you say it's the mystery of who is on the other end and then having to think of things to say, I'm one of those people that instantly thinks of the things I was supposed to say as soon as I put the phone down, I think it's a nerves thing.

Probably the thing that annoys me the most is people that don't answer the phone or spend ages getting to it and then stare at the display number and say "Gosh! I wonder who this could be?" Well answer the fucker then before they give up or you won't know. :facepalm:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I was hoping there was going to be a special word for a fear of telephones but the best they could come up with was "Telephone phobia", I bet that took a lot of thought.
also the fear of the workplace - workplace phobia....... I mean, that's just lazy isn't it? Having said that, maybe they used all their creative genius on fear of friday 13th?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Medectophobia - The fear that the contour of your penis is visible through clothing.....you really couldn't make that up!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
also the fear of the workplace - workplace phobia....... I mean, that's just lazy isn't it? Having said that, maybe they used all their creative genius on fear of friday 13th?

They obviously couldn't come a consensus either

Friggatriskaidekaphobia, Paraskavedekatriaphobia, Paraskevidekatriaphobia – fear of Friday the 13th

I quite like:
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia – fear of the number 666
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - fear of long words
Spasmenagaliaphobia (neologism; no official name) – fear of broken glass

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here