Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Prices

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Had a guy who ran 3 petrol stations in the Midlands on the radio this morning, he's the first one to drop below the £1 mark with unleaded at 99.7p a litre I think it was.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And bus fares, and food prices, and electricty tariffs, all of which rise when fuel prices rise.

we'll not see direct reductions on these, but indirectly as inflation will be reduced so they wont go up as much. we use very little oil for electricity though there will be a knock on to gas prices, the effect will be small.

To be fair. Gas and electricity prices are falling. It's widely expected there could be a further round of price cutting by the end of the month. It's clear home energy prices should be falling faster though. Those relying on heating oil and bottled gas are already reportedly enjoying good savings.

Food prices are falling. Quite fast too. Check out the business news on any website going back a few months and see countless stories of falling food prices, intense competition between the supermarkets and their subsequent falling profits.

As for air fares then these are taking pee. British airways increased their fuel surcharge considerably when crude was rising. Now it's falling they have renamed the fuel surcharge as a carrier surcharge. This won't affect the masses who go online to buy the cheapest ticket (which has reportedly fallen) but those who collect airmiles and pay for the flight with miles and cash for the taxes and surcharges are being ripped off. A business class return ticket to the states now has over £500 in taxes and surcharges even when the actual airfare part it covered by miles.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
To be fair. Gas and electricity prices are falling. It's widely expected there could be a further round of price cutting by the end of the month. It's clear home energy prices should be falling faster though. Those relying on heating oil and bottled gas are already reportedly enjoying good savings.

Food prices are falling. Quite fast too. Check out the business news on any website going back a few months and see countless stories of falling food prices, intense competition between the supermarkets and their subsequent falling profits.

As for air fares then these are taking pee. British airways increased their fuel surcharge considerably when crude was rising. Now it's falling they have renamed the fuel surcharge as a carrier surcharge. This won't affect the masses who go online to buy the cheapest ticket (which has reportedly fallen) but those who collect airmiles and pay for the flight with miles and cash for the taxes and surcharges are being ripped off. A business class return ticket to the states now has over £500 in taxes and surcharges even when the actual airfare part it covered by miles.

This.

And British Airways have you over a barrel as its still cheaper than booking with another airline. They are just punishing frequent flyers knowing we have little choice.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have been told by two sources that the petrol station just past the one time Goldstone ground in Old Shoreham road have dropped their prices below a £, not tried them myself as i only filled up last week at ASDA at £1.05

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What worries me is that the price of a barrel of crude has fallen by 50%ish, where as the price of petrol has only reduced by less than 20%ish, and when the price of crude rises, as a it inevitably will, will the Oil companies put up the price of petrol at the same rate, meaning we will be paying a higher price for fuel, in relation to the crude price, than we have up until now

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What worries me is that the price of a barrel of crude has fallen by 50%ish, where as the price of petrol has only reduced by less than 20%ish, and when the price of crude rises, as a it inevitably will, will the Oil companies put up the price of petrol at the same rate, meaning we will be paying a higher price for fuel, in relation to the crude price, than we have up until now

There's many reasons fuel doens't fall - or rise - directly in line with oil prices.

Duty is #1, front and centre, huge element of the cost to the consumer. This cost is fixed irrespective of the cost of crude
Refinery costs only fall very slightly (due to the reduction in input costs for their own energy use) and are almost fixed as a result. Usually dearer in Winter too.
Transport costs only fall in part (same reason, their fuel goes down but the drivers salary and the cost of the tanker doesn't)

I'd hazard a guess a lot of stations have been working on a fixed+percentage margin basis for fuel also; a margin to cover banking costs and the like and a fixed profit per litre. That latter bit won't change either.

Duty is a bit lower on petrol and significantly lower on diesel in Ireland, so despite higher VAT diesel is the equivalent of 90p here - having dropped a higher % than the UK due to the duty element.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
we'll not see direct reductions on these, but indirectly as inflation will be reduced so they wont go up as much. we use very little oil for electricity though there will be a knock on to gas prices, the effect will be small.

Eon have announced their gas prices are being reduced by 3% as from today.

Dec 29, 2011
If 40% of petrol price is down to the oil used, a 50% fall in oil price should lead to a 20% fall in petrol prices

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Diesel this morning

Tesco Holmbush 112.9
Garage in Partridge Green 129.9 !!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Paid 99.9p this afternoon (admittedly with a Sainsburys money-off voucher) :thumbsup:

There are three garages in the South Birmingham area currently retailing unleaded at 99.7p per litre.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath petrol and desiel £108.9 and £118.9 still think Haywards Heath to expensive . Please update prices

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here