Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Prices

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I'm on holiday in the US at the moment, petrol is about $2 per gallon, which works out at about 29p per litre. I wonder if I can bring any back in bottles in my hold luggage?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just had crimbo away in Shropshire, Petrol station next to where we stayed was £1.12.9 on crimbo eve but that magically dropped to £1.10.9 too !

However, imagine my surprise when we stopped at the services along the M40 on the way home and found it at £1.25.9 !!!!!!! 15 p a litre more, what gits !

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Will the government put up petrol duty?
With prices falling daily they are losing a lot of money on VAT charged per litre. According to estimates we buy 50,000,000 litres a day. The price has gone from £1.37 ish to £1.07 a drop of 20p. VAT on 20p is 4p so the government is losing an income of £2,000,000 a day, so will they be tempted to put duty up by 4p soon?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I used to have an app on my phone but it is only as good as the input from contributors who post frequently. It certainly pays to shop around though if you can. Today at Tesco in Holmbush it was £1.12.9 while at the BP garage by Brooklands it was £1.18.9 I know it's only 6p a litre but it all adds up.

Taxi drivers try not to fill up at supermarkets. See how many miles you get on a tankful from BP Shell compared to Tesco etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
With prices falling daily they are losing a lot of money on VAT charged per litre. According to estimates we buy 50,000,000 litres a day. The price has gone from £1.37 ish to £1.07 a drop of 20p. VAT on 20p is 4p so the government is losing an income of £2,000,000 a day, so will they be tempted to put duty up by 4p soon?

:ohmy::wink:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

You noticed the error there then £1.37 minus £1.07 is 30p and the VAT is 6p. And I've just done my tax return as well. Better recheck!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Can't say I've noticed the difference in fuel prices. Still costs me a tenner every time I put petrol in...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Taxi drivers try not to fill up at supermarkets. See how many miles you get on a tankful from BP Shell compared to Tesco etc.

How much difference does this make? I've been driving to work for the last 3 months and generally fill up at Asda because it's on my way home, I'm starting to wonder whether I should switch to BP/Esso as my car does seem to be particularly thirsty.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Last week Sainsbury's got some great publicity across the media saying they were reducing their prices by 2p per litre.
The following day they reduced unleaded by 1p and diesel not at all.

Ergo: they are all lying thieving *******s. :(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How much difference does this make? I've been driving to work for the last 3 months and generally fill up at Asda because it's on my way home, I'm starting to wonder whether I should switch to BP/Esso as my car does seem to be particularly thirsty.

in the past some supermarkets have brought up dodgy supply that's been contaminated or passed of as different quality to what it really is. in general, assuming there's no shenanigans and the RON rating is true and accurate, there's no difference for most people. some of the additives the brands use may help with de-coking so that's a factor for diesels in particular that may affect very high mileages.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
As a taxi driver I've got fuel cards for shell and Esso so get a bit cheaper than most ( not a lot ) but still use tesco etc don't notice that much difference still get about 600 miles to. Tank

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Depends what car i suppose but 80 miles on a 40 litre tankful.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Depends what car i suppose but 80 miles on a 40 litre tankful.

I'll have to do a comparison. I've got a Mini Cooper S and at the moment I'm lucky if I get 300 miles from a tankful.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Apart from your subtracting error I think you'll find that over 50% is down to tax and duties

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm just wondering if and when we will see a reduction in air fares ? I always remember the airlines were always quick to add a fuel surplus charge in times of regularly rising prices. I shan't be holding my breath though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm just wondering if and when we will see a reduction in air fares ? I always remember the airlines were always quick to add a fuel surplus charge in times of regularly rising prices. I shan't be holding my breath though.

And bus fares, and food prices, and electricty tariffs, all of which rise when fuel prices rise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here