Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Patrick Moore dies

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I met him a couple of times (through music as he was a bit of an amateur composer) and he was barking BARKING mad but a thoroughly pleasant chap.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A nasty person by all accounts (I worked on GamesMaster and the stories I heard from those who had to go and film him for it...) but RIP nonetheless. Lived in a giant telescope on Selsey Bill, didn't he?

Met him on more than one occasion and he was always perfectly charming.
He also used to come into the pub where my daughter worked;always a true gent.
R.I.P.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
RIP Patrick Moore.

I wonder who will champion Monocle wearing now?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I used to live in Selsey Bill too and met him on many occasions and found him a really decent guy, remember me and mate bunking off school once and he stopped in his old morris minor and gave us a lift while we were hitching a lift to chichester. Also when my daughter had a telescope for xmas i wrote to him asking for some tips and he invited myself and daughter to his house and the use of his observatory .... RIP Patrick

As everyone else has found him lovely, I can only assume that either (a) it's only in a behind-the-scenes TV workplace environment that he wasn't pleasant, and/or (b) the people I worked with who slagged him off were exaggerating, so I take back my post.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As everyone else has found him lovely, I can only assume that either (a) it's only in a behind-the-scenes TV workplace environment that he wasn't pleasant, and/or (b) the people I worked with who slagged him off were exaggerating, so I take back my post.

:thumbsup: I'm not very pleasant in the workplace environment either!

Nice tribute by Brian May on the BBC website, I love this line and will insist it is included in my obituary! "...................."Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."

I will, of course, also insist that they change the name.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
Sad to here that one of our own Sussex legends has passed on.

R.I.P Patrick. Always had an eye on the stars. Heck knows what the other one was looking at?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I used to work for Southern gas many years ago - latter part of the 1970's and early 1980's, and he was famous for writing fatuous letters of complaint for no apparent reason and being gratuitously rude.... so you are not alone.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I used to work for Southern gas many years ago - latter part of the 1970's and early 1980's, and he was famous for writing fatuous letters of complaint for no apparent reason and being gratuitously rude.... so you are not alone.
Maybe just hated the gas board!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
RIP. Good man. Loved the stars. Hope he enjoys them, even more, now he's with them.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
this makes me sad :( a great character and 'Sky at Night' also introduced me to 'At the Castle Gate' from 'Pelleus and Mellisande'. RIP Sir Patrick, a true legend :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here