Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Patrick Moore dies

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
He was going to do a special on telescopes for christmas presents in the next show, would have like to have heard his opitions.
When you compare him to the other people on TV, he's a class apart. Like the Vikings believed the only thing that lives in this world after your death is your reputation, his is well assured.

His last show BBC iPlayer - The Sky at Night: Mercury and the Moon

Also I wouldn't get to despondent Chris Lintott is going to prove a worthy successor I think, if he take the main job.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to work for Southern gas many years ago - latter part of the 1970's and early 1980's, and he was famous for writing fatuous letters of complaint for no apparent reason and being gratuitously rude.... so you are not alone.

That's your side of the story. I think most gas company customers will side with and believe Patrick's version of events. What was his complaint? Day-light robbery? Crap service? Rubbish customer care?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
To have a Savile 'Jim'll fix it' clip on here is just wrong, but that's just my opinion. The way these men seem to have lived their lives was galaxies apart, excuse the pun.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As everyone else has found him lovely, I can only assume that either (a) it's only in a behind-the-scenes TV workplace environment that he wasn't pleasant, and/or (b) the people I worked with who slagged him off were exaggerating, so I take back my post.

GamesMaster wasn't exactly his natural environment. He probably found it all quite odd and, perhaps, scary too.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's your side of the story. I think most gas company customers will side with and believe Patrick's version of events. What was his complaint? Day-light robbery? Crap service? Rubbish customer care?

We are talking about things that happened 30 plus years ago and that I was not dealing with directly. This was when Gas was still a nationalised industry and it was correspondence mostly with the customer accounts department, with very senior management. Whether his complaint was justified or not is something I can't comment on because I can't remember the details. But i do remember the letters were rude and sarcastic to the extent of unpleasantness.

I subscribe to the view that it is not necessary to be rude when you are complaining about something. Apart from anything else it's counter-productive, because if you have a genuine and justified complaint, people are more likely to be sympathetic and do more for you if you are nice about it. If you are effing and blinding at someone over the phone (which Patrick Moore didn't - I am not accusing him of that), you can expect to have the phone put down on you.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I met him maybe 35 years ago and eccentric, generous but absolutely engaging and enthusiastic is how I remember him. I was invited along with a couple of others and our Venture Scout Leader to his house to spend a pleasant evening looking at stars. Problem was we went in the height of Summer and it is very late before it gets dark enough to see much at all. We spent the evening drinking 'shandies' made by Patrick and our tea-total Leader drove us home pissed as farts as poor old Patrick didn't have any lemonade. :) The other occasion was playing cricket for Selsey v West Wittering and Patrick was an occasional bowler of slow motion spin proportions and a statue- like fielder who applauded your shot if it went by him by a few inches. Great pleasure to have met him - R.I.P Sir Patrick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Legend

RIP

bernardo

Nov 2, 2012
Last night, at around 20:00, my son and I went for a walk kicking a football along Hove lawns. In a moonless sky without clouds, you'd have been be able to identify any star and constellation... my son would... myself... Orion's belt, that's all. Anyway, we were completely unaware of Sir Patrick Moore's demise, and it was only when my son decided to go again for another walk tonight, under the same clean sky, we realised of the brilliant coincidence that at the time of the great Astronomer's departure there's is such a clear view of that which he loved so much.
This time when looking at Orion's in its tilted position it seemed that if joined as if they were part of a dot-to-dot puzzle, the stars could reveal the image of a goal keeper, perhap's the Albion's, as if streching to make one of the saves of the season. The scale of the image is such and the motion of the costellation so slow that you'd be forgiven to think that you're looking at a huge HD screen, but better than that, as you are actually there, on the grass.
Don't know if he liked football, but wherever he is, all the best to Sir Patrick Moore.

This song came to my mind. It always reminds me of a great friend of mine. And it took me a long time to realised what a great friend she was.

YouTube

bernardo

Nov 2, 2012
Perhaps is that all the good that he did it clearly outweights the mystakes he might have made, as we all do.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Last night, at around 20:00, my son and I went for a walk kicking a football along Hove lawns. In a moonless sky without clouds, you'd have been be able to identify any star and constellation... my son would... myself... Orion's belt, that's all. Anyway, we were completely unaware of Sir Patrick Moore's demise, and it was only when my son decided to go again for another walk tonight, under the same clean sky, we realised of the brilliant coincidence that at the time of the great Astronomer's departure there's is such a clear view of that which he loved so much.
This time when looking at Orion's in its tilted position it seemed that if joined as if they were part of a dot-to-dot puzzle, the stars could reveal the image of a goal keeper, perhap's the Albion's, as if streching to make one of the saves of the season. The scale of the image is such and the motion of the costellation so slow that you'd be forgiven to think that you're looking at a huge HD screen, but better than that, as you are actually there, on the grass.
Don't know if he liked football, but wherever he is, all the best to Sir Patrick Moore.

I could not have put it better

the universe is now a smaller place without Patrick Moore

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here