Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Past players who would get into this squad

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In my 53 years of attending, Ward, Lawrenson, Zamora, that's it. And by that I mean these could be considered, and whether or not the first two would be able to cope with the pace and intensity of the modern game is anyone's guess. So the only one I'd back with confidence is our Bobby.

There is an argument for Tommy Cook but going back so far is absurd - I suspect we will find that homo sapiens has literally evolved a bit further since those days. Football, fitness, health and everything else has, certainly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vicente Rodríguez
Robert Zamora
Leonardo Ulloa

I am going with who I have seen play in the stripes, rather than hearsay.

I am sure Ward was a fantastic player in his day in the lower two divisions against poor clod kicking defenders, during a culture of drinking & smoking before and during a match. He never really stepped up though did he.

He had his moments with Forest but he did not get along with Mr Clough. Only 28 league games in 3 years. When he asked Clough to extend his loan with us so he could play in the 83 cup final, Clough said 'Son, I never played in a cup final. And neither will you'. Wardy told me that himself.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Ward would be amazing in our current squad. But...... I shouldn't really engage with this thread - I don't like untestable hypotheticals.

Or do I? ???

:wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mike Small would offer something different to what we had now. Gotsmanov may be a possibility.

The standout player is clearly Lawrenson, who'd comfortably be our best defender

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The way i'd be looking at this is that there are a finite number of places in a squad, either 25 man or matchday, so if you're putting someone in, you first have to take someone out.

So let's say you're looking at the 18 man matchday squad, I think there are a few you might change.

So for example

Horton I expect would get the nod over Alzate
Murray or Zamora surely would get in over Undav
Upson or Foster probably over Van Hecke
Kuipers or Steele is more contentious
Knocky or Sarmiento?
Bridge over Estupinan I expect.

But what this of course ignores is the potential over those i've replaced. So I've taken , in many cases 300 game club legends and put them in place of those who are up and coming. So for example who's to say that Estupinan won't go on to do better than Bridge.

If I could choose one player who'd make our squad better ...... That's Zamora

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Didn’t Ward score 18 or 19’for us in the top flight whilst in a pretty average team generally in that division. ? Now imagine if we had a striker’with those figures now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Gordon Smith would play the Gross role to perfection.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I never saw Smith do a Cruyff so on that alone it’s a no from me.

Has Gross scored a 17’min hatrick to salvage a late point ?’ They are both Brighton greats now though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Calderon as a utility wingback might get a sniff

Kuzszcak as sub goalie

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Didn’t Ward score 18 or 19’for us in the top flight whilst in a pretty average team generally in that division. ? Now imagine if we had a striker’with those figures now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its scandalous you have ruled out Vicente... hang your head in shame Simster.

Give him a set of Boots now with Bruno and I would still start them both :)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Has Gross scored a 17’min hatrick to salvage a late point ?’ They are both Brighton greats now though.

Personally I don’t think Smith is a great but was a decent player in a fairly average first div team, nor would he be good enough in this squad but it’s all about opinions.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The way i'd be looking at this is that there are a finite number of places in a squad, either 25 man or matchday, so if you're putting someone in, you first have to take someone out.

So let's say you're looking at the 18 man matchday squad, I think there are a few you might change.

So for example

Horton I expect would get the nod over Alzate
Murray or Zamora surely would get in over Undav
Upson or Foster probably over Van Hecke
Kuipers or Steele is more contentious
Knocky or Sarmiento?
Bridge over Estupinan I expect.

But what this of course ignores is the potential over those i've replaced. So I've taken , in many cases 300 game club legends and put them in place of those who are up and coming. So for example who's to say that Estupinan won't go on to do better than Bridge.

If I could choose one player who'd make our squad better ...... That's Zamora

Kuipers would be nowhere near our squad

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of all the players I've seen since 1966 the only two who I think could get into this side are Lawrenson and Zamora. (If we're not counting those who were past their best when they joined us, otherwise Joe Corrigan would be a good shout).

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
But favourite player isn't the same thing. Two of my favourite players were nowhere near good enough for this side.

Ward was brilliant in division 3, pretty damn good in division 2, but really not up to much in the top division. He'd be a lesser version of Teemu Pukki.

Don't agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here