Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Past players who would get into this squad

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many past players who haven't played for us in the Premier League era would get into this matchday squad do you reckon? I'm not going to count those who played for us when well past their best - so I'm ruling out Vicente even though he was still incredible.

The obvious ones are probably Mark Lawrenson, Dean Saunders, Steve Foster and Michael Robinson. Not sure about Peter Ward or Brian Horton - although both would have been good enough in 2017 when we first got here, just as, say, Dale Stephens was.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Gary Stevens as a ball playing centre back would have fitted in well.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Horton is good enough to cover the Caicedo role. He was a box-to-box midfielder who could tackle, score and had a great passing range. He could also play the Ali Mac role. Lawro, obviously would be in. Robbo in as cover for Welbeck. I would find a place for Wardy because we have nobody else like him for spinning and going past defenders in and around the area, and with an eye for goal.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Peter Ward without a shadow of doubt, when you look back at the clod-hopping animals that passed as defenders back in the 70's then it's no contest. Wardy ran rings round them and I'm sure he would do the same today, Wardy was something special, that's why he's our chairman's all time favourite player, and I'm not arguing with Tony.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bobby Zamora could have played the Welbeck role damn well. I know he's technically Amex era but I'm considering the earlier version of him.

Zamora of Fulham era would have been ideal in the current Welbeck role.

Annoyed with myself that I hadn't already name checked Zamora - comfortably the best player we had in that Albion era.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How many past players who haven't played for us in the Amex era would get into this matchday squad do you reckon? I'm not going to count those who played for us when well past their best - so I'm ruling out Vicente even though he was still incredible.

The obvious ones are probably Mark Lawrenson, Dean Saunders, Steve Foster and Michael Robinson. Not sure about Peter Ward or Brian Horton - although both would have been good enough in 2017 when we first got here, just as, say, Dale Stephens was.

I am not sure of your selection criteria, do you mean Amex era, or Premier League era?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Peter Ward without a shadow of doubt, when you look back at the clod-hopping animals that passed as defenders back in the 70's then it's no contest. Wardy ran rings round them and I'm sure he would do the same today, Wardy was something special, that's why he's our chairman's all time favourite player, and I'm not arguing with Tony.

Didn't exactly set the world on fire in the top flight with Notts Forrest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But favourite player isn't the same thing. Two of my favourite players were nowhere near good enough for this side.

Ward was brilliant in division 3, pretty damn good in division 2, but really not up to much in the top division. He'd be a lesser version of Teemu Pukki.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Vicente Rodríguez
Robert Zamora
Leonardo Ulloa

I am going with who I have seen play in the stripes, rather than hearsay.

I am sure Ward was a fantastic player in his day in the lower two divisions against poor clod kicking defenders, during a culture of drinking & smoking before and during a match. He never really stepped up though did he.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here