Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Past players who would get into this squad

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Steve Sidwell is a decent choice as well who hasn't been mentioned yet. (Sorry, just looked up, he has been)

I do wonder how some of the players who were jettisoned when we got promoted would have fared if we have given them a chance. Stockdale, Baldock, Goldson in particular. Kayal did get chances but was in and out of the side and suffered with injuries, think he'd have been pretty good if he could have had a long run. Not that any of those would have really pushed our current squad (Goldson maybe)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It is faster whether you think it or not :shrug:

Yep. I love an evidence based argument and in this case, in 1976 average distance a player covered was 8-11km, 25% of which was walking, and only 11% sprinting.

Today 10km is low end and much more than 11% is sprinting - last season the highest in a match was nearly 14km covered, but it's not unheard of for a player to do 15km+.

Without the stop/start of a normal game, covering that kind of distance would be a constant 8 minute mile pace (if my maths is right) which would be hard for most sportspeople to maintain for 90 minutes, whatever their sport. But it's not constant, which makes it even harder.

Factor in stopping and starting, twisting, turning, then you're keeping control of a ball, holding and giving (but at the right time), being slow or fast, but you must get to the line, they'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, so there's only one way to beat them, get round the back, and it's even more impressive just how fast the modern game is.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yep. I love an evidence based argument and in this case, in 1976 average distance a player covered was 8-11km, 25% of which was walking, and only 11% sprinting.

Today 10km is low end and much more than 11% is sprinting - last season the highest in a match was nearly 14km covered, but it's not unheard of for a player to do 15km+.

Without the stop/start of a normal game, covering that kind of distance would be a constant 8 minute mile pace (if my maths is right) which would be hard for most sportspeople to maintain for 90 minutes, whatever their sport. But it's not constant, which makes it even harder.

Factor in stopping and starting, twisting, turning, then you're keeping control of a ball, holding and giving (but at the right time), being slow or fast, but you must get to the line, they'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, so there's only one way to beat them, get round the back, and it's even more impressive just how fast the modern game is.

Your maths is slightly out. 15k is 9.3 miles - if a player ran at a constant 8 minute mile pace throughout he’d cover 18k or just over 11 miles. Your comparison still remains though.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lawroson
Ward
Horton
G Nelson
S Nelson
Penny
Zamora
M Robinson
G Stevens

Plus those who have not played under GP but have played in the premiership

Bruno
Vincente
Bruno

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Jeff Minton! Yes he was OUTSTANDING for us, but the reason he looked so good was that he was playing in a really really really REALLY shit team. Ultimately though as a footballer he was very limited: he wasn't even good enough for Port Vale in the Championship, let alone in the PL. (I did like him though).

yes tongue was firmly in cheek - he did shine in that team though

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I really think only

Bobby Zamora,
Mark Lawrenson,
Wayne Bridge,

would get in a matchday squad these days (and Vicente if he meets the criteria). It's not a reflection of some absolutely superb players we have had over the years and decades. It's just a recognition of how good the squad we currently have are, and how much harder football at this level is today :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know about a lot of the gentlemen mentioned in this thread, but peak Wayne Bridge is a starter for Brighton every day.

I believe he was on 100k a week when we got him on loan from City, think we paid 10k of it. An absolute joy to watch charging down the win. He blotted his copybook against our Nemesis Zaha in the play offs though :down:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ward wouldn't get anywhere near this team.

He was a good old Division 2 / current Championship level forward.

You might as well nominate Gary Nelson who was just as good.

PS - Frank Worthington, but only in his younger days if that counts. When we had him, his legs had gone. Although he knew exactly what to so and where to be, he couldn't get there in time any more.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I really think only

Bobby Zamora,
Mark Lawrenson,
Wayne Bridge,

would get in a matchday squad these days (and Vicente if he meets the criteria). It's not a reflection of some absolutely superb players we have had over the years and decades. It's just a recognition of how good the squad we currently have are, and how much harder football at this level is today [emoji106]
Pretty much my thoughts plus Gary Stevens and possibly Sully.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Ward wouldn't get anywhere near this team.

He was a good old Division 2 / current Championship level forward.

You might as well nominate Gary Nelson who was just as good.

PS - Frank Worthington, but only in his younger days if that counts. When we had him, his legs had gone. Although he knew exactly what to so and where to be, he couldn't get there in time any more.

You obviously did not see him play , or you know nothing about football, great finisher and so skilful , would be perfect for the non contact football they play in the Premier league now

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Case
Lawrenson
Stevens
Foster
John Gregory
Ward

The first two were brilliant footballers in their roles, countless winners medals at the highest level.

I’d like to add Gareth Barry, pinched when 16, ironically by John Gregory who’d become a furtive cnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here