Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pardew Sacked [merged]

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Guess it's inevitable they will cone looking for Gus and we will find out if the delay in signing his contract was to include a buy-out clause. Best outcome might be TB suddenly finds funds for a striker.........

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I thought this was a wind-up when i read it. Incredible, there is obviously a lot more to this. Could Wilkins be a contender for the job? He is the only one retained of the main coaching staff:

Southampton have sacked manager Alan Pardew - just two days after the team's 4-0 win at Bristol Rovers.

The npower League 1 side issued a statement claiming "it is essential to make changes to the first team management and coaching".

The 49-year-old led Saints to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in March with a 4-1 win over Carlisle at Wembley and they started the season as firm favourites to achieve promotion to the Championship, although one win in their first three matches leaves them 14th in the table.

A statement from the club read: "Following a review of the current status in and around the first team, the club has decided that, to achieve its well known targets, it is essential to make changes to the first team management and coaching.

"These targets for sustained and significant progress embrace both the first team and the football development and support centre as integrated, co-operative units.

"Consequently, the first team manager Alan Pardew, first team coach Wally Downes and goalkeeping coach Stuart Murdoch have been relieved of their duties with immediate effect. We wish them well for the future.

"While we have commenced our careful evaluation of our candidates and longer term requirements, Dean Wilkins has taken on the caretaker role for the first team and he will be assisted by Martin Hunter, the under-21 coach.

"We recognise that frequent changes to the football management are unlikely to assist in the winning of trophies and promotions.

"However, we are taking these steps to achieve our aims, which we share with all supporters, to get promoted this season, and secure long term stability and progress for our football operations."

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
On the face of it,an odd decision just now....but who knows what is going on behind the scenes!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I thought this was a wind-up when i read it. Incredible, there is obviously a lot more to this. Could Wilkins be a contender for the job? He is the only one retained of the main coaching staff:

Southampton have sacked manager Alan Pardew - just two days after the team's 4-0 win at Bristol Rovers.

The npower League 1 side issued a statement claiming "it is essential to make changes to the first team management and coaching".

The 49-year-old led Saints to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in March with a 4-1 win over Carlisle at Wembley and they started the season as firm favourites to achieve promotion to the Championship, although one win in their first three matches leaves them 14th in the table.

A statement from the club read: "Following a review of the current status in and around the first team, the club has decided that, to achieve its well known targets, it is essential to make changes to the first team management and coaching.

"These targets for sustained and significant progress embrace both the first team and the football development and support centre as integrated, co-operative units.

"Consequently, the first team manager Alan Pardew, first team coach Wally Downes and goalkeeping coach Stuart Murdoch have been relieved of their duties with immediate effect. We wish them well for the future.

"While we have commenced our careful evaluation of our candidates and longer term requirements, Dean Wilkins has taken on the caretaker role for the first team and he will be assisted by Martin Hunter, the under-21 coach.

"We recognise that frequent changes to the football management are unlikely to assist in the winning of trophies and promotions.

"However, we are taking these steps to achieve our aims, which we share with all supporters, to get promoted this season, and secure long term stability and progress for our football operations."

I don't think there is anyway that they'll give the job to Wilkins. They are obviously looking for a high profile manager with a good track record. The move will probably be too soon for Gus - thank goodness.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I wonder what Redneb makes of it? :lolol:

Very surprised. Hope Dean Wilkins gets the job permanently but I don't think he will.

Obviously bloody ridiculous. I would have said at least go up with him and then get a big name to get us in the prem. Mind you we'll all stop grizzling if we get the right guy in.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
:nelson: ha ha.

Says on SSN that all the coaching staff have been sacked. How come Wilkins isn't included in that list? Thought he was coaching staff. Perhaps he was just the tea boy, maybe bhabhs can shed some light

Zola would be my favourite, wilkins is considered a good coach and someone with experience has to be in charge, there is no way they would of sacked pardew without already having someone lined up, otherwise they would of done it in the summer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems strange so soon after the owner dies, is there a behind the scenes power struggle going on? They had all summer to sack Pardew, why now?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Whats the real story then redneb? I know there are so many crazy sackings these days, but what has Pardew done other than have a couple of dodgy results at the start of the season? Even with Pardew, I would of thought a top 4 finish was nailed on for Saints?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Ha!ha!ha! :rave:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, Good luck to him in finding another job with the same status & prestige given how he's now ballsed up there, charlton & west ham!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Obviously bloody ridiculous. I would have said at least go up with him and then get a big name to get us in the prem. Mind you we'll all stop grizzling if we get the right guy in.

:lolol: Anyone would think your club were Real Madrid or something. Championship is the right level for SFC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here