Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pardew for next England Manager

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's done fantastically well so far this season. You can only beat what's in front of you, as they say - but it's worth noting that this has been Bolton, Wigan, QPR, etc.

Let's see how they do in their next three games (Man City A, Man Utd A, Chelsea H) then see where we stand...

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
He's done fantastically well so far this season. You can only beat what's in front of you, as they say - but it's worth noting that this has been Bolton, Wigan, QPR, etc.

Let's see how they do in their next three games (Man City A, Man Utd A, Chelsea H) then see where we stand...

If they get more than a point then they are doing very well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On either the guardian podcast or sunday supplement, one of the journalist mentioned speaking to someone in the FA who pretty much said they'll do what they usually do when it comes to selecting the england manager - go with whoever is the flavour of the month. If Pardew keeps newcastle in the top four, he could be flavour of the month.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I said that to someone a few weeks back and was greeted with derisive laughter...but there is the rub, there isn't exactly a long list of suitable candidates, is there!

If the FA want to appoint someone who is English, with experience of managing a team at the top level, the possible candidates probably go no further than:

Warnock - would probably send NSC into melt-down but not too bad an option.
Pardew - see the answer for Warnock.
Hodgson - has managed an international side before, albeit that it was Switzerland, but very experienced and probably a safe pair of hands.
Redknapp - if his ticker can stand up to the job.
Bruce - nice bloke but I don't think he has the making of an England manager.

After that you are probably looking at people like Pearce, doing a good job with the U-21's, is he good enough for the first eleven? Sam Allardyce, err, Ron Manager anyone?

My tip for the future would be Paul Tisdale, great young manager, but needs to manage somewhere much larger and more challenging than Exeter City first.

Last edited:

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is such a lack of 'other' decent candidates, there has always been a chance for someone unexpected to grab the spot if the Redknapp shoo-in didn't happen for whatever reason.

Before this week, I'd have said the most likely reason was fears over bung revelations. Now maybe it's health, it's not a job for a bloke with heart problems.

Price has probably gone now, but it would have been a good bet a fortnight ago. The thing about Pardew is he has a massive ego, and you do at least need that for England with all the shit that comes with it.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
He is not a bad choice if they are going down the Englishman route, which I think says more about that particular policy and the lack of good England managers than it does the quality

If Allardyce is in contention and they aren't keeping up with Southampton, surely Adkins would have to be? Now that would send NSC into meltdown

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have been thinking about this one, Pardew isn't that bad a choice, neither are the other possibles (Warnock, Hodgson, Redknapp or Bruce)...especially when you compare them to the likes of Keegan (tactically naive), Hoddle (different planet) or McLaren (nuff said) who have already had a go.

Probably the hardest part of the England job, apart from dealing with the ego issue (players, club managers, press, fans, etc, etc) is making the jump from managing a league side. Having the choice of the best players the nation can produce can prove a bit of a poisoned chalice, far harder than managing a team of players you have largely selected yourself.

Last edited:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Pardew's a good shout - don't think Rednapp will get it because of recent health issues.

I'd make Dougie Freedman take it and then when England cock up again we can really lay into the manager.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Probably the hardest part of the England job, apart from dealing with the ego issue (players, club managers, press, fans, etc, etc) is making the jump from managing a league side. Having the choice of the best players the nation can produce can prove a bit of a poisoned chalice, far harder than managing a team of players you have largely selected yourself.

The hardest part of the England job is the massively over inflated opinions of the players abilities (which seem to have disappeared somewhat since the World Cup - will be interesting to see if that remains the case going into the Euros) and the fact that you can go overnight from having the best ideas in the world and being one of the best England managers to being a chump who should go. As The Sun decided with Capello.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...the fact that you can go overnight from having the best ideas in the world and being one of the best England managers to being a chump who should go. As The Sun decided with Capello.

Fair point, what really pees me off is how people keep going on about Capello speaking bad English, yet his use of it is far better than the majority of his players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here