Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pardew for next England Manager

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Redknapp has a heart op and everyone is using this as the excuse he won't get the job and seem to be dismissing all the other bagagge that comes with him, such as an impending court case for tax evasion. Regretably, due to his connections with a certain club, Pardew is a good candidate. He laid the foundations for what Adkins is achieving with Southampton, he had success at with Reading before going to the hammers. Hodgson would be a good shout but you might have to question his ability to deal with the big egos of the players, something at which he was an abject failure at with Liverpool.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I dont care who gets the job as long as they've got the guts to axe all the older players who have been a let down for years and start again with younger players.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
Pardew's a good shout - don't think Rednapp will get it because of recent health issues.

I'd make Dougie Freedman take it and then when England cock up again we can really lay into the manager.

A Scot as an England manager? If we're going to get a foreign boss how about the legend that is Gus. When the England players get boo'd, which they invariably do, he can throw a hissy fit & tell the press he's going to go home. Imagine the compensation that would be saved.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A Scot as an England manager? If we're going to get a foreign boss how about the legend that is Gus. When the England players get boo'd, which they invariably do, he can throw a hissy fit & tell the press he's going to go home. Imagine the compensation that would be saved.

You lot do make me laugh, there's nothing like some REAL bitterness that we're bigger than you again. Mind you, you're probably one of those Palace fans that thought Charlton were your rivals until this season.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
You lot do make me laugh, there's nothing like some REAL bitterness that we're bigger than you again. Mind you, you're probably one of those Palace fans that thought Charlton were your rivals until this season.

Bigger? Hmmm. Three months in the Championship & you're a bigger club?

I've never seen Charlton as a rival, always been Brighton as I come from a family that have supported Palace since 1905. Not that I need to justify this. Are you one of the fans that see Southampton or Portsmouth as your rivals? Probably not & I wouldn't normally ask.

They were talking about Pardew on the Times podcast and as far as I can see (and I think one of the contributors agreed with me) there's been a lot of revisionist history when it comes to his career. What he achieved with Reading was probably about par for the course - he had a much bigger budget than practically anyone else in League One when he got them promoted, and even then he couldn't win it *snigger* and then he took Reading to the play-offs in the Championship. At West Ham took up (at the second attempt) a team that was far too good for the division, he had one decent season in the Premiership and then took them to the brink of relegation (it was only after he'd been sacked that Tevez decided to start scoring and they stayed up by the skin of their teeth). He failed completely at Charlton and then did reasonably well first season at Southampton (it's worth bearing in mind that while they started on -10 points he did have a budget miles beyond anyone else in the division, and they failed ultimately to make the playoffs) before starting last season direly.

I'm happy to admit that he's done a great job at Newcastle but that's been for about 12 months - his record previous to that is pretty chequered, IMHO.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I'd give it to Pearce. Been around the players long enough. Knows the one coming through from the U21's like Hart, Richards, Smalling, Jones, Wilshire, Carroll etc. If the FA on adamant on getting in an Englishman, then why not the one that is already in the set up at the moment?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I'd give it to Pearce. Been around the players long enough. Knows the one coming through from the U21's like Hart, Richards, Smalling, Jones, Wilshire, Carroll etc. If the FA on adamant on getting in an Englishman, then why not the one that is already in the set up at the moment?

Promoting from within has worked pretty well for Germany, although Joachim Loew has slightly more experience than Pearce does

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

if that happens we might as well turn off all the lights, make sure the door is well and truly bolted behind us and just give up.

he is a TERRIBLE manager

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
if that happens we might as well turn off all the lights, make sure the door is well and truly bolted behind us and just give up.

he is a TERRIBLE manager

Based on what? If players, managers in England are not given a chance to step up and prove themselves on the international level, we will never know if they are good enough will we.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

That'll be a pumped up route one old style England team then. Seeing as the players we have aren't capable of playing continental football that is probably not that bad an idea. We might get a team that is PROUD to play for England even if they are a bit shit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Based on what? If players, managers in England are not given a chance to step up and prove themselves on the international level, we will never know if they are good enough will we.
Based on his shit track record as Man City manager a few years back and tiresome eye bulging fist pumping rhetoric.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Basically Pardew hasnt been at Newcastle long enough yet to start CLATTERING the WAGS of staff and players. Give it time tho. No doubt England appeakls to him as he can tap up players cast offs.

What?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here