Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panorama Tonight - 28th May

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
There were union flags covered with the National Front symbol "joined N & F" all over the place in the early 80s. If you look at England matches in the 1982 WC in Spain, they are sadly all too prominent, as is fighting in the stands.

Thanks for that Mr Pedant, but I was in Spain for group games and although there were problems, I certainly didn't get the Fascist vibe you seem to recall, San Sebastion was awash with troublemakers yes, but no Nazis I am afraid, try again please.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
What VERY RECENT tournaments?..... I seem to recall zero arrests in SA, and only 2 when 25000 Chelsea fans recently visited Munich..... please enlighten me on this RECENT comment.

Recent as in the last few tourniments. Thousands of England fans in Germany singing anti German songs about the war and then causing havoc in Holland and Belgium. The zero arrests in SA is probably largly down to the distance and price to get there. I would imagine it was a similar scene in Japan and Korea.

Dont get me wrong, I know that the large percentage of England fans are well behaved and I dont have anything against singing certain Football songs. What I was trying to say is that you could make a 30mins TV program about England fans and Football in England that looks just as bad as the one the other night.

None of these games shown were Polish or Ukrainian international matches, they were local derby's with crowds of a couple of thousand for some of them. Also, what we all know as Football banter could quite easily be mistaken as aggressive and threatening to someone who doesnt know about Football crowds. Its easy to see how a family on the train from Lewes to Brighton at about 4.45 on a Saturday get intimidated when the train pulls in to Falmer, but I havent seen any trouble on the trains for the whole of last season. (I know there was a couple of issues, Palace for one)

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Watched it on catch up last night, pretty shocked by some of the footage, especially the Indian students who were attacked at the Derby game. The thing that was the most shocking was the Police stating that they have never seen any signs or racism in the football grounds, and when the students were attacked the police just stood by and watched. It's embarrassing.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011

Dont get me wrong, I know that the large percentage of England fans are well behaved and I dont have anything against singing certain Football songs. What I was trying to say is that you could make a 30mins TV program about England fans and Football in England that looks just as bad as the one the other night.

After the WC in Germany, Panorama did make a programme about "how bad" English troublemakers were there. It actually consisted of nothing but rumour and inuendo, and it also transpired that TV film crews were in Germany buying multiple rounds of drinks for group on English who they "interviewed" in pubs, and then goading them into kicking-off so they had something to film. The media have their own story to peddle.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just transferring Albion v Donny last game at Goldstone from video. Brighton's racists were disturbing, as bad as Poland and Ukraine and it was only 1997. Thankfully not the case now.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i think your find,it wasnt racist behaviour,as been mentioned on here,many times,it was a song the north stand used to sing,and as some couldnt get tickets they we nearer the tunnel.
The greengrocers down boundary rd used to make a killing years ago,noone banana,2 banana,3 bannana 4 bannana,nana nana nana

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just transferring Albion v Donny last game at Goldstone from video. Brighton's racists were disturbing, as bad as Poland and Ukraine and it was only 1997. Thankfully not the case now.

Try BHA v Millwall at the Goldstone in 1990 - very loud footage of Millwall fans in the south stand chanting "Deyo, deyo, daylight come and I want to go home" at Mike Small when he came over to take a corner.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
i think your find,it wasnt racist behaviour,as been mentioned on here,many times,it was a song the north stand used to sing,and as some couldnt get tickets they we nearer the tunnel.
The greengrocers down boundary rd used to make a killing years ago,noone banana,2 banana,3 bannana 4 bannana,nana nana nana
I think you will find that is not the case. the authorities in Ukraine are in denial too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here