Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace make £23 million profit from first season in PL

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, well Bournemouth must surely be FFP-busting, with the russian's money, THIS season ( we'll find out next year ) and Watford are Udinese B, so have found their own solution.

I'd be a lot happier not having a strategy that relied on fluking it.

I am really struggling with the attractiveness of an ongoing 7-8 million annual debt and trusting to luck, against a 23 million profit.

If Bournemouth by sheer bad luck don't do it this season, it will be really interesting to see how they fair next season. Got to give to Bournemouth that have proved a lot of doubters wrong including me. I'm actually a bit jelous of their situation now, when we should have been there 3 seasons ago but due to the ego of our manager at the time, and the fact he didn't want to be hear anymore made us blow it right at the end.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm really not sure how a very average, non-acheiving, middling Serie A sides unwanted reserve players can be seen as that beneficial to a challenge in the Championship.
Nevertheless, their presence in the squad stretches their budget a bit does it not ???

Would they have Vydra if they were not part of the Udinese group ???

SAC

May 21, 2014
When Southampton were taken over and brought out of Administration, the new owner Marcus Liebherr paid off every single creditor in full.

No chance of that happening with Palace. Instead you get Disney crowing in the press about how wonderfully RICH they are now. Just imagine reading that as one of the creditors amongst the £80 millon-odd that Palace had conveniently written off over the course of their DOUBLE administrations. Those creditors they thieved from must feel sick to their stomachs.

CPFC, classy as always.

I thought that Southampton paid all of their creditors (not sure about it being in full) except the people who built the ground and then did a deal on the ground not paying in full. I could be wrong but I think this is what a Southampton fan post on here a year or two back.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Tony Bloom OWNS BHAFC. He is spending HIS money on the business he owns-his football club and associated businesses. Is it really that difficult for you to understand? it isn't 'somebody eles's money.

Erm no Tony Bloom doesn't own BHAFC. I suggest you check your facts on that one. He owns a 75% stake of it (may be more now not sure?) And yes he is sticking his cash into it which is great for Brighton fans and not so great for other club's fans who don't have rich benefactors. It's not 'fair' but its the way it is. Just like it's not fair that creditors agreed to receiving a penny in the pound rather than Palace being liquidated but there we go.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Those 17 goals from season long loanee Odion Ighalo (sort of a Udinese player although he never really plays for them) have been quite helpful though haven't they.

Most teams in this league have a 17 goal a season striker, they all get them from somewhere. As I said, MOST teams have one.

Nevertheless, their presence in the squad stretches their budget a bit does it not ???

They still have to conform to the squad size though don't they? Also, as EP mentioned, Udineses Serie A wage bill is lower than ours, and therefore I guess lower than other Championship clubs too. I'm sure those players bring a lot to the club, and of course at least they in some way have the same "owners" but is it that much different to us having half a dozen loan players from the Premier League and elsewhere?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is that including the 10 million from the sale of Zaha?

I'm not sure why I should be standing up for the Palace fans, but they did pay St John Ambulance their fees, when Jordan couldn't, so it is a little unfair of us to throw that at them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we had signed Ulloa in the summer instead of January, if Gary Dicker hadn't broken Will Hoskins' leg and the Murray-Hoskins swap deal had gone through, if Dean Hammond hadn't headed straight at Speroni from six yards at Selhurst, if Murray hadn't done his cruciate in the first leg leading to Zaha playing a more forward role at the Amex, if the referee at Bolton hadn't fallen over and tried to save face by blaming it on Barnes, if Bruno hadn't gone to sleep in the first match of the season in the last couple of minutes and cost us one point and given them an extra two......
As said, every team has a list like that, every season.
Except us, this year :down:

There's no doubting we spent much of that season set up to not lose, instead of winning.
When the emphasis changed so did the results.

I'm no wiki-acker (and certainly don't have the memory) but I'm prepared to bet the make up of our midfield changed through that spring run in, when compared to the rest of that season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm really not sure how a very average, non-acheiving, middling Serie A sides unwanted reserve players can be seen as that beneficial to a challenge in the Championship.

Pozzo owns 3 clubs , there is nothing to stop him shuffling players around. Watford end up with players on loan from Granada and Udinese who are then signed permanently for nominal fees.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair play to Palace, they've really made the most of promotion. They've done well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Most teams in this league have a 17 goal a season striker, they all get them from somewhere. As I said, MOST teams have one.

Only two other teams have 17+ goal scorers this season. Daryl Murphy (free signing) and Cameron Jerome (£1.5m fee from *them*...same as Baldock).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes, well Bournemouth must surely be FFP-busting, with the russian's money, THIS season ( we'll find out next year ) and Watford are Udinese B, so have found their own solution.

I'd be a lot happier not having a strategy that relied on fluking it.

I am really struggling with the attractiveness of an ongoing 7-8 million annual debt and trusting to luck, against a 23 million profit.

Well said, you're not the only one. But this "remember when we used to be at Withdean, how can anyone complain/it's still a nice day out with my kids/mates" mindset still seems to predominate.

We'd better get used to it: assuming that there's any truth at all in these Ince/Dunk departure rumours, it looks like we're still basically a selling club. If so then it seems we've found our level and that's what we'll get in the near term: mid-table Championship mediocrity, with a hope and a prayer for a promotion push in a ridiculously tight, unpredictable division. I'm actually ok with all that. But it doesn't exactly get the blood coursing through the veins with excitement.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Erm no Tony Bloom doesn't own BHAFC. I suggest you check your facts on that one. He owns a 75% stake of it (may be more now not sure?) And yes he is sticking his cash into it which is great for Brighton fans and not so great for other club's fans who don't have rich benefactors. It's not 'fair' but its the way it is. Just like it's not fair that creditors agreed to receiving a penny in the pound rather than Palace being liquidated but there we go.

And get your facts right, the Football club doesn't owe Bloom £130 million either. The club rents the facility from the Stadium company that Mr Bloom invested in.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
And get your facts right, the Football club doesn't owe Bloom £130 million either. The club rents the facility from the Stadium company that Mr Bloom invested in.

You're quite correct there Piltdown Man. So effectively you're no better than West Ham getting gifted a stadium and paying a nominal amount of rent for it? Personally, I don't have a massive issue with the set up and think fair play to Brighton for that but if you read my signature you can somewhat understand my view of people constantly going on saying we cheated when you're currently engaged in a similar practise. Last I checked you were still making losses (in terms of footballing and non footballing losses) so as a club you are using others cash no?

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Is that including the 10 million from the sale of Zaha?

I'm not sure why I should be standing up for the Palace fans, but they did pay St John Ambulance their fees, when Jordan couldn't, so it is a little unfair of us to throw that at them.

1. Yes it is.

2. We did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're quite correct there Piltdown Man. So effectively you're no better than West Ham getting gifted a stadium and paying a nominal amount of rent for it? Personally, I don't have a massive issue with the set up and think fair play to Brighton for that but if you read my signature you can somewhat understand my view of people constantly going on saying we cheated when you're currently engaged in a similar practise. Last I checked you were still making losses (in terms of footballing and non footballing losses) so as a club you are using others cash no?

Others meaning fans. Tony Bloom is a fan as are other shareholders.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Only two other teams have 17+ goal scorers this season. Daryl Murphy (free signing) and Cameron Jerome (£1.5m fee from *them*...same as Baldock).

Fair enough, though I see it as Murphy 23, Deeney 19, Jerome 18 & Ighalo 17, by the end of the season there will be others, right now there are 25 goalscorers with 10+ goals in this division.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well said, you're not the only one. But this "remember when we used to be at Withdean, how can anyone complain/it's still a nice day out with my kids/mates" mindset still seems to predominate.

We'd better get used to it: assuming that there's any truth at all in these Ince/Dunk departure rumours, it looks like we're still basically a selling club. If so then it seems we've found our level and that's what we'll get in the near term: mid-table Championship mediocrity, with a hope and a prayer for a promotion push in a ridiculously tight, unpredictable division. I'm actually ok with all that. But it doesn't exactly get the blood coursing through the veins with excitement.
Every team in England outside of Citeh, Chelski and the heavily mortgaged Utd are selling clubs.

The Albions entire philosophe is that of a 'selling club', that's why the training facilities and coaching standard are set so high.

We need to enjoy the young talent while they are here, and enjoy the money they bring in, when they leave.
Making the hounding of a yoof player and England under 21 international, all the more bizarre.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
we're still basically a selling club...we've found our level and that's what we'll get in the near term: mid-table (and/or) a hope and a prayer for a promotion push in a ridiculously tight, unpredictable division. .

ie: like everyone else in the Champ...including the 3 clubs that get promoted every season...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought that Southampton paid all of their creditors (not sure about it being in full) except the people who built the ground and then did a deal on the ground not paying in full. I could be wrong but I think this is what a Southampton fan post on here a year or two back.

The debt in 2009 when Liebherr took over was around £30m, £22m of which was owed to Norwich Union (now Aviva) for the stadium construction costs. The unsecured creditors were paid off - whether he cleared the stadium debt in one hit or not I don't know, but he was clearly in a position to continue to service it at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here