[Palace] Palace just signed some geezer for six million....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You still think your going to steel Bridders of us you tw*t? You give it all the biggun on BBS but come across as an absolute pr*ck who thinks his better than anyone else.

I don't think you get vince do you !

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Well he has no reason to lie then because the more he states he sold him for the more D&R will want their 20% for.
So this boy better perform at this money, but what I watched in April there is no chance he is going to be Prem class next season.

Personally it's the season after next that I really want him to perform.

mystery_man

Banned
Jun 7, 2013
Is this something you genuinely believe?

Of course not. I don't believe we have ever been in for Bridcutt to be honest. Speculation at most, as with 90% of the names we have been linked with. Much like you guys will get linked with any young Spanish squad players or free agents now Oscar is with you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Firstly, which players? Just as with your claims of businesses going bust, you aren't making a comment based on fact. You're making a comment based on what you would like to be true, because it's a convenient stick to beat Palace with. You've no idea if we hired any players who were better than we could afford to pay. You're just guessing.

At the time we got into financial difficulty, we were a well run club. We had players, as any club does, on contract. I would assume you would agree that there was nothing wrong with being a club, run within budget. The ITV digital collapse suddenly meant we were not in budget. We had players on contracts too expensive, with little motivation to move on to other clubs who no longer were offering such contracts. Jordan started to cut the cloth immediately. What he did not do, which you seem to think he should have, was to place every player on the transfer list, renege on contracts, and declare only pub players playing for free could play. He was trying to manage a financial situation that was suddenly dire, and in a sensible manner to get the club back on a proper footing. That was the right thing to do, to try and ensure creditors got their money back. As it happened, the company that owned the ground put their rates up, and despite Jordan cutting the club to the bone, and us playing a load of kids, he got put into administration by an aggressive creditor. The main loser was Jordan himself, who was owed the vast majority of the money. There was no benefit to Crystal Palace. We lost great players for next to nothing and avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth.

Crystal Palace's first administration started in the 98-99 season and ended 2000.

ITV digital launched in 2001 and collapsed in 2002.

Palace's second administration occurred in 2010.

Your link to itv digital is tenuous at best, and even if it were more closely linked, then how can you say you were well run when the collapse of itv digital didn't affect many other clubs, but the loss of that one source of income almost destroyed your club, 8 years later?

Yes. If you can't afford your bills, you sell your assets to pay them. It's the responsible thing to do. That you scoff at the idea it quite telling. It's what we did, selling mark beeney to pay our tax bills, it's what plymouth did when they sold us craig noone. It's what the redundancies are about. It's responsible business actions. No, you don't have to sell them all, or only sign pub players, that's just you being facetious, I'm sure. But sell a couple of players, re-negotiate with some that are willing.

Last edited:

Banned
May 19, 2013
Why is that?

I think it is extremely likely that we will get relegated, and would like us to follow the West Brom modal and try to ensure we have a team capable of going straight back up.

Of course I'd prefer not to go down at all, but I think that's unlikely. Mind you I thought promotion this year was impossible too :)

I think it is extremely likely that we will get relegated, and would like us to follow the West Brom modal and try to ensure we have a team capable of going straight back up.

Of course I'd prefer not to go down at all, but I think that's unlikely. Mind you I thought promotion this year was impossible too :)

I'd look a little further down the road to Wolves , if I were you.

Banned
May 19, 2013
Crystal Palace's first administration started in the 98-99 season and ended 2000.

ITV digital launched in 2001 and collapsed in 2002.

Palace's second administration occurred in 2010.

Your link to itv digital is tenuous at best, and even if it were more closely linked, then how can you say you were well run when the collapse of itv digital didn't affect many other clubs, but that one source of income almost destroyed your club, 8 years later?

Yes. If you can't afford your bills, you sell your assets to pay them. It's the responsible thing to do. That you scoff at the idea it quite telling. It's what we did, selling mark beeney to pay our tax bills, it's what plymouth did when they sold us craig noone. It's what the redundancies are about. It's responsible business actions. No, you don't have to sell them all, or only sign pub players, that's just you being facetious, I'm sure. But sell a couple of players, re-negotiate with some that are willing.

Back after finally looking some facts up eh? Well it's a start.

The collapse of ITV digital did effect other clubs. The apparent "wealth" of the second tier evaporated, and clubs were left with expensive contracts that put them seriously into debt. Most club live in debt of course (including yours) and ours was no different there. When we really started to get into trouble was when the rent on Selhurst went up some time after Noades sold the ground from under us. For most clubs, a ground is an asset you can use as collateral, for us it was a steadily increasing drain.

I agree that you sell assets to pay debts, and that's what we did. But you don't sell all your assets, collapse the company, and do a runner leaving plenty of people out of pocket. That would make you a crook. Jordan cut costs while keeping the business going, and the brutal reality is that the best chance of paying back creditors was to go up, whereas going down would have meant they all lost out. Again, I doubt there was any moral motivation from Jordan. He was the biggest creditor and he was trying to protect his investment. Parish actually tried to buy the club off of him during this period (and would have inherited all the existing debts, except Jordan's) but he wasn't having it as it wasn't for enough money.

As it was, Jordan cut the running costs of the club to the bone (as remarked by the administrator when he took over). We sold players, and got cheaper ones in or used academy players. He even tried to mortgage the academy, offering a return on future sales. It was all in vein though, and the club fell further and further into debt.

The biggest loser, by far, was Jordan. He was both unlucky and a fool, but it's just bullshit to suggest he was doing anything but trying to keep the club going, which is what he should have been doing. If it's your opinion that clubs who go into administration should be thrown out of the league, or automatically relegated, or any other punishment I respect that. Those weren't the rules when it happened to us, but if that's what you think should happen, fine. But it's bullshit to suggest that our administrations were orchestrated for our advantage, or that we were deliberately gaming the system to get a higher league place. Both our administrations cost us heavily, and it's remarkable we managed not to get relegated either time.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Of course not. I don't believe we have ever been in for Bridcutt to be honest. Speculation at most, as with 90% of the names we have been linked with. Much like you guys will get linked with any young Spanish squad players or free agents now Oscar is with you.

Oh right, I was't having a go, just wondering if you'd heard something. Not sure I could cope if Bridcutt went to you - my mug would be mocking me for starters :lolol:

Banned
May 19, 2013
So what you are saying is you spent 6m on a championship player

I happen to know we didn't, but if we had and that was a player who ensured we went straight back up I'd be happy with the investment.

Other Palace fans won't agree, but I am pretty sure we're going down and it is a team capable of taking us straight back up that is my priority. Then we can try and stay there.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I understand that view and as I have said before this season will be a real test for your board.
They have the task of trying to keep you up with new signings and the money that will take in transfer, signing on fees and wages.
They will have to keep the current team happy and I would think a lot of renegotiation of contracts with them.
I understand that the cost of getting the ground up to speed for Sky requirements, will cost a couple of million.
And this is where Hull and Cardiff have the advantage the complete modernisation of Selhurst, which you and I both know will cost a fortune.
Sometimes it cost more to rebuild than to start from scratch and I think this will be a huge balancing act the directors will have to handle.
I read posts from some of your fans and they think when you beat Watford you were handed a cheque for £120 mill.
I think we are about to see, if these four guys really do have the money available to get things moving before some of this Sky money starts to roll in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Back after finally looking some facts up eh? Well it's a start.

The collapse of ITV digital did effect other clubs. The apparent "wealth" of the second tier evaporated, and clubs were left with expensive contracts that put them seriously into debt. Most club live in debt of course (including yours) and ours was no different there. When we really started to get into trouble was when the rent on Selhurst went up some time after Noades sold the ground from under us. For most clubs, a ground is an asset you can use as collateral, for us it was a steadily increasing drain.

I agree that you sell assets to pay debts, and that's what we did. But you don't sell all your assets, collapse the company, and do a runner leaving plenty of people out of pocket. That would make you a crook. Jordan cut costs while keeping the business going, and the brutal reality is that the best chance of paying back creditors was to go up, whereas going down would have meant they all lost out. Again, I doubt there was any moral motivation from Jordan. He was the biggest creditor and he was trying to protect his investment. Parish actually tried to buy the club off of him during this period (and would have inherited all the existing debts, except Jordan's) but he wasn't having it as it wasn't for enough money.

As it was, Jordan cut the running costs of the club to the bone (as remarked by the administrator when he took over). We sold players, and got cheaper ones in or used academy players. He even tried to mortgage the academy, offering a return on future sales. It was all in vein though, and the club fell further and further into debt.

The biggest loser, by far, was Jordan. He was both unlucky and a fool, but it's just bullshit to suggest he was doing anything but trying to keep the club going, which is what he should have been doing. If it's your opinion that clubs who go into administration should be thrown out of the league, or automatically relegated, or any other punishment I respect that. Those weren't the rules when it happened to us, but if that's what you think should happen, fine. But it's bullshit to suggest that our administrations were orchestrated for our advantage, or that we were deliberately gaming the system to get a higher league place. Both our administrations cost us heavily, and it's remarkable we managed not to get relegated either time.

Firstly, I don't hang around here waiting for replies, I go off and do other things and come back.

The almost all the other clubs, some in worse financial positions than you (us for example) were not affected by the itv digital collapse to the point they enter administration. You can't say you're a well run club and then claim this club, that was so well run, was more negatively affected than nearly every other club. You clearly weren't that well run.

Why do you talk in extremes? Like the only options are keep all your players you can't afford (and let me be clear here, I'm not talking about a specific player that was too much, your wage bill as a total was more than you could afford to pay with all your other debts, hence the lack of specifics names of players), renege on debts leading to a second administration, or sell everything and fold up your club screwing people out of money owed? Firstly, that doesn't make sense, the point of selling assets is to raise the funds to pay the money owed, so that you're not screwing people over. Secondly, there's a middle ground. Sell a couple of players, refinance, make workable, fair deals with creditors (not "1-2p in the pound or nothing"). Sell a couple of players for a boost to your accounts to keep the wolves from your door, while you continue to limp along.

I'm not saying you orchestrated them, I'm saying they were not barriers you bravely overcame to find on the field success, that you (on the playing side) benefited from them, by clearing debt and not selling more of your assets and playing cheaper (and not as good/experienced) players

Banned
May 19, 2013
Firstly, I don't hang around here waiting for replies, I go off and do other things and come back.

The almost all the other clubs, some in worse financial positions than you (us for example) were not affected by the itv digital collapse to the point they enter administration. You can't say you're a well run club and then claim this club, that was so well run, was more negatively affected than nearly every other club. You clearly weren't that well run.

Why do you talk in extremes? Like the only options are keep all your players you can't afford (and let me be clear here, I'm not talking about a specific player that was too much, your wage bill as a total was more than you could afford to pay with all your other debts, hence the lack of specifics names of players), renege on debts leading to a second administration, or sell everything and fold up your club screwing people out of money owed? Firstly, that doesn't make sense, the point of selling assets is to raise the funds to pay the money owed, so that you're not screwing people over. Secondly, there's a middle ground. Sell a couple of players, refinance, make workable, fair deals with creditors (not "1-2p in the pound or nothing"). Sell a couple of players for a boost to your accounts to keep the wolves from your door, while you continue to limp along.

I'm not saying you orchestrated them, I'm saying they were not barriers you bravely overcame to find on the field success, that you (on the playing side) benefited from them, by clearing debt and not selling more of your assets and playing cheaper (and not as good/experienced) players

That's what we did. We limped along, selling players, getting cheaper ones in. We struggled. The month before ITV digital went down, we bought Ade Bloody Akinbye for £2.2m on a ludicrous contract. After that we were trying to get rid of expensive players and get deals in.

Jordan made lots of mistakes, but for most of his time in charge he was just running us like every other club in the league. In debt and funded by the chairman. Same way you're run now. It was only at the end, when he got into trouble himself that things went truly tits up. If Bloom gets into trouble in 6 or 7 years, will you say the players you bought now were from cheating?

By the time he was in real trouble we had cut our staff right down, and had a cheap team and kids playing.

I looked up administration on wiki, just to get the other clubs who got into trouble around the same time as us. Interestingly the article on the history of administration starts off by talking about ITV digital (I didn't just add it either!) and how it was the catalyst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(British_football)

That's what we did. We limped along, selling players, getting cheaper ones in. We struggled. The month before ITV digital went down, we bought Ade Bloody Akinbye for £2.2m on a ludicrous contract. After that we were trying to get rid of expensive players and get deals in.

Jordan made lots of mistakes, but for most of his time in charge he was just running us like every other club in the league. In debt and funded by the chairman. Same way you're run now. It was only at the end, when he got into trouble himself that things went truly tits up. If Bloom gets into trouble in 6 or 7 years, will you say the players you bought now were from cheating?

By the time he was in real trouble we had cut our staff right down, and had a cheap team and kids playing.

I looked up administration on wiki, just to get the other clubs who got into trouble around the same time as us. Interestingly the article on the history of administration starts off by talking about ITV digital (I didn't just add it either!) and how it was the catalyst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(British_football)

As like most Palace posters on here you are a pedlar of myths, half truths and lies.

The 11 Palace that took to the field in your crunch relegation fixture at Sheffield Wednesday in May 2010 consisted of only one player under 24 - Scannell , who Jordan had previously valued at £3m , yet in the depths of pending administration chose not to sell. Victor Moses was the only player of value you were forced to sell.

The others players at Hillsborough were all long term established players , such as Speroni, Butterfield, Derry, McCarthy, Hill, Lee etc - most of whom were moved on when relegation was avoided and not prior to admin. Spin it whichever way you wish but there is no doubt that Palace deliberately held onto their player assets by seeking to be placed into administration in Jan 2010 and therefore not having to sell them.

Banned
May 19, 2013
As like most Palace posters on here you are a pedlar of myths, half truths and lies.

The 11 Palace that took to the field in your crunch relegation fixture at Sheffield Wednesday in May 2010 consisted of only one player under 24 - Scannell , who Jordan had previously valued at £3m , yet in the depths of pending administration chose not to sell. Victor Moses was the only player of value you were forced to sell.

The others players at Hillsborough were all long term established players , such as Speroni, Butterfield, Derry, McCarthy, Hill, Lee etc - most of whom were moved on when relegation was avoided and not prior to admin. Spin it whichever way you wish but there is no doubt that Palace deliberately held onto their player assets by seeking to be placed into administration in Jan 2010 and therefore not having to sell them.

LOL. Sure Major. Getting placed into administration helped us keep players :D

Game, Set, Match.

LOL. Sure Major. Getting placed into administration helped us keep players :D

I think you completely misunderstand the concept. You should have sold all your better players to avoid going into administration - you didn't and you avoided relegation at the cost of others.

It's not hard to understand.:ffsparr:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

99% Correct Major

Crystal Palace
01 Speroni
03 Hill
05 McCarthy
17 Lawrence
20 Butterfield
22 Ertl
04 Derry
07 Ambrose
14 Scannell
18 Andrew
19 Lee
It was a strong team that kept them up and one until the ten point deduction was chasing a play off spot,
But on top of losing Moses they had also sold Fonte.
It was the Fonte transfer that forced Agilo to mistrust Jordan who had secured the loan from them against the players contracts.( The league looked very closely at this as a possible breach of third party ownership ) When he sold Fonte and failed to give any money to Agilo they got spooked and when the HRMC put in a winding up order, Agilo played safe and forced the club into Admin.
But as you say they kept their promotion chasing squad less those two together to avoid relegation.
On top of that eleven they also had Clynne on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports