[Palace] Palace just signed some geezer for six million....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What is a Rylan?

A pathetic attempt at a homophobic slur ? Rylan is the camp gay fella who appeared on X Factor and Celebrity Big Brother. Quentin , another endearment used by Palace fans is a touching reference to Quentin Crisp , a gay man who was outrageously effeminate long before any gay rights movement. Interestingly he was born in Sutton and for all we know may have been one of the earliest Queens to watch Crystal Palace.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Administration does bother me. More than you I suspect. Brighton fans, in the main, don't really seem to give a toss about administration. They don't really complain about the other clubs (can't remember the number, but think it's around 50) who have been in administration. They still shop at high street shops that have been in administration. It is, for the most part, a tired act behind which lies the most tedious hypocrisy. Palace fans do this kind of pointless baiting too of course, with Brighton over the fact that you "didn't care enough" to stop your ground being taken out from underneath you. That is clearly nonsense, just as the notion that we somehow used administration as a tactic, or that we somehow "cheated". Jordan was a fool, but he was running the club fine till he got screwed from two angles at once (the collapse of ITV digital, and the company that owned the ground raising the rent). Now that's business of course, but running an overdraft and paying bills on the last day of the month is hardly unusual in business. At the point we got into financial difficulty, Jordan cut the cloth. Down to the bone. He was trying (hoping really) to get the club back on a financial sure footing, yet Brighton fans seem to think that he should have done something different? Yet whenever I ask what should have been done differently there is no answer.

My suspicion is that Brighton fans don't care about the creditors. They would have been happy if we had gone bust and didn't even receive a penny. That's the hypocrisy I find nauseating. Pretending to care about those who lost out, while at the same time being gutted that we didn't go bust and that they were screwed even more.

As for redundancy/sacking - is it some way more admirable that it IS Brighton's fault that those people are losing their jobs? Does that give them more comfort?

Thats a lame analogy. High street stores don't come round to competing businesses that struggled (with their owners losing out to protect staff and stay in business), bragging about how they are still a top name shop, having been able to afford to break into social media and Internet markets by wiping out debt through administration, maintaining a high profile rather than following the model of the shop that worked within their budget, struggled for a while until they were in a position to afford Internet connections, web staff etc.

You apparently have missed mother threads criticising Portsmouth, Leeds andsouthampton on here if you think it's only palace we criticise for administration.

Is it hypocrisy to want a club that is causing other businesses to go bust to bust itself? I suppose it may be, in the same way that people want murderers to face capital punishment. A club that goes bust will appreciate more what the local businesses are going through thanks to them, and if they start again, they will be more aware of their impact, maybe want to make good with those businesses in some way.

The main differences that I can see with the difference between sacking and redundancy, is redundancy an be voluntary, and you are given a redundancy payment (often times more than is the legal minimum if you take the redundancy voluntarily), whereas sacking is a one way street, where you don't get payouts to help tide you over until you get a job.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It would indeed be disastrous. Palace managed promotion on such a number of ST holders. Brighton have posted successive £9m losses, lost their manager, key players, and still find themselves in the same division despite crowds being at capacity. Therefore, I agree you'd better retain the interest of all the 75 minuters you can.

Successive 9m losses? We've only posted 1 lot of accounts from the Amex so far haven't we? The accounts for the season just gone will be out sometime near the end of the year and those will include a 30% increase in ticket sales as well as an 850k Brucey bonus.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Thats a lame analogy. High street stores don't come round to competing businesses that struggled (with their owners losing out to protect staff and stay in business), bragging about how they are still a top name shop, having been able to afford to break into social media and Internet markets by wiping out debt through administration, maintaining a high profile rather than following the model of the shop that worked within their budget, struggled for a while until they were in a position to afford Internet connections, web staff etc.

You apparently have missed mother threads criticising Portsmouth, Leeds andsouthampton on here if you think it's only palace we criticise for administration.

Is it hypocrisy to want a club that is causing other businesses to go bust to bust itself? I suppose it may be, in the same way that people want murderers to face capital punishment. A club that goes bust will appreciate more what the local businesses are going through thanks to them, and if they start again, they will be more aware of their impact, maybe want to make good with those businesses in some way.

The main differences that I can see with the difference between sacking and redundancy, is redundancy an be voluntary, and you are given a redundancy payment (often times more than is the legal minimum if you take the redundancy voluntarily), whereas sacking is a one way street, where you don't get payouts to help tide you over until you get a job.
Plenty of businesses that have been in administration later trumpet their economic success and place in the market, both to future investors and to shareholders.

And which business went bust as a result of Palace going into administration? You don't know do you, because you've just made it up. Kind of proves my point that you have no interest in the actual administration, or those who actually lost out. It's just a convenient stick for you to try and attack Palace with, and as I said is every bit as tedious as when Palace fans make up nonsense regarding the circumstances in which you lost your ground. What I wanted when Palace went into administration is the same as what I want when any club (or business) goes through it. For the least amount of harm to be done to all involved. That you'd rather companies just went bust says a lot about you. But then I'm against the death penalty too.

Sadly, it's pretty rare to get more than statutory redundancy. I didn't get it, and I doubt any Brighton employees will. Those who have been working for you will have got

0.5 week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
1 week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
1.5 week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

It really doesn't tide you over till you get a new job. Certainly not in this job market.

Those with less than two years get nothing.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
Plenty of businesses that have been in administration later trumpet their economic success and place in the market, both to future investors and to shareholders.

And which business went bust as a result of Palace going into administration? You don't know do you, because you've just made it up. Kind of proves my point that you have no interest in the actual administration, or those who actually lost out. It's just a convenient stick for you to try and attack Palace with, and as I said is every bit as tedious as when Palace fans make up nonsense regarding the circumstances in which you lost your ground. What I wanted when Palace went into administration is the same as what I want when any club (or business) goes through it. For the least amount of harm to be done to all involved. That you'd rather companies just went bust says a lot about you. But then I'm against the death penalty too.

Sadly, it's pretty rare to get more than statutory redundancy. I didn't get it, and I doubt any Brighton employees will. Those who have been working for you will have got

0.5 week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
1 week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
1.5 week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

It really doesn't tide you over till you get a new job. Certainly not in this job market.

Those with less than two years get nothing.

Like palace fans clubbing together to repay st johns, I wonder if the holier than thou brighton fans will chip in for the unfortunate 18 ex employees until they get back on there feet.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hello rylans/tarquins how are we today, still ******* furiously over the fact that we have spent some money on gayle (I say some money as we will never know the final figure)

Well here is today's exclusive:

by Hugh Southon

4th July 2013 12:20pm BST

Exclusive

Crystal Palace's record signing - Dwight Gayle - has been tipped as a future England star by the man who sold him.

The 22 year old - who only went professional two years ago - agreed a £6.5 million initital fee with the newly promoted Londoners which could hit £10m in add ons.

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry - who oversaw the deal on behalf of The Posh - said: "Under Ian Holloway's management I believe he can become an England player.

"He scored 20 goals for us last season and we were relegated. he scores with both feet, has great skill and tremendous control.

"Palace have lost Wilfried Zaha but they are going to be just as excited by this young man."

Fry signed the player from Dagenham and Redbridge for £450,000 in an after-match deal following a game against Southend United.

Prior to that, in non-league football, Gayle had scored 64 goals for Stansted and 57 for Bishop Storford.

Holloway targeted the player last season should his team gain promotion and moved fast to get his man.

Fry said: "Ian is a tremendous manager particularly with strikers and I believe he will turn this young man into a £20 million player."

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/27596-fry-gayle-s-set-for-england-stardom.php

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10481726.Up_to_18_Albion_jobs_to_go_at_the_Amex/

Staff have been told about the job losses in a series of meetings over the last week and already about half a dozen have indicated they will go voluntarily.

Staff taking voluntary redundancy will be given an enhanced financial package as well as access to counsellors, careers advisors and personal financial advisors.​

I imagine if I took the effort I could find a business or two from your lists of creditors that have now closed (someone else on this thread claims to know of a business personally), but you would no doubt claim it was because of other factors, not the debt owed just because of palace, and you'd be right. But it doesn't change the fact that palace rub it in the faces of fans that they have spent 35 plus years in the top two divisions, not to trumpet their own success, as hi street businesses might, but to specifically put yourselves above us. It is not hypocritical to highlight a major factor in your success in this context.

Last edited:

Banned
May 19, 2013
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10481726.Up_to_18_Albion_jobs_to_go_at_the_Amex/

Staff have been told about the job losses in a series of meetings over the last week and already about half a dozen have indicated they will go voluntarily.

Staff taking voluntary redundancy will be given an enhanced financial package as well as access to counsellors, careers advisors and personal financial advisors.​

I imagine if I took the effort I could find a business or two from your lists of creditors that have now closed (someone else on this thread claims to know of a business personally), but you would no doubt claim it was because of other factors, not the debt owed just because of palace, and you'd be right. But it doesn't change the fact that palace rub it in the faces of fans that they have spent 35 plus years in the top two divisions, not to trumpet their own success, as hi street businesses might, but to specifically put yourselves above us. It is not hypocritical to highlight a major factor in your success in this context.

It's a while since I looked, but I have looked (which is more than you) and over a year after we came out of administration they were still all (thankfully) trading. I have not checked for the first administration.

I think Palace are quite right to trumpet being in the top two divisions for the past 35 years. That we achieved that despite two administrations is remarkable. Brighton fans seem to want to claim that we achieved it because of our administrations, which is farcical. Both administrations did enormous damage. The first was Goldberg's foolishness in the Premier League which saw us fall out of that division and only stay up at Stockport with kids and players playing without wages. The second was caused by an aggressive creditor who called Jordan's bluff, against a club that had already cut the cloth to the extent that the administrators remarked on it when they took over, and again almost saw us relegated. At what point were we having an unfair advantage? The day after ITV digital collapsed? The first time Jordan missed a bill? Brighton fans like to claim we were splashing cash on players that gave us an unfair position in the league, but the opposite was true. We were selling and cutting trying to keep our heads above water. Jordan was hoping against hope to turn things around so he could pay his creditors, which is what any business should do. Though I think it was more because he was by far the largest creditor more than any sense of ethics from him.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Like palace fans clubbing together to repay st johns, I wonder if the holier than thou brighton fans will chip in for the unfortunate 18 ex employees until they get back on there feet.

Did you chip in for these 29 made redundant by CPFC2010, or did you help the four who took the club to a tribunal?

10. 28 May was the date upon which the dismissal letters were given to the 29 staff who were being made redundant, including the 4 Claimants.
http://www.employmentcasesupdate.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed15952

Banned
May 19, 2013
Did you chip in for these 29 made redundant by CPFC2010, or did you help the four who took the club to a tribunal?

10. 28 May was the date upon which the dismissal letters were given to the 29 staff who were being made redundant, including the 4 Claimants.
http://www.employmentcasesupdate.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed15952

As a point of order, they were made redundant by the administrator Brendan Guilfoyle. Their argument was that they should have been entitled under TUPE to go for the same or similar jobs once the company had been purchased by CPFC2010. Which personally I think is a fair point.

It's a while since I looked, but I have looked (which is more than you) and over a year after we came out of administration they were still all (thankfully) trading. I have not checked for the first administration.

I think Palace are quite right to trumpet being in the top two divisions for the past 35 years. That we achieved that despite two administrations is remarkable. Brighton fans seem to want to claim that we achieved it because of our administrations, which is farcical. Both administrations did enormous damage. The first was Goldberg's foolishness in the Premier League which saw us fall out of that division and only stay up at Stockport with kids and players playing without wages. The second was caused by an aggressive creditor who called Jordan's bluff, against a club that had already cut the cloth to the extent that the administrators remarked on it when they took over, and again almost saw us relegated. At what point were we having an unfair advantage? The day after ITV digital collapsed? The first time Jordan missed a bill? Brighton fans like to claim we were splashing cash on players that gave us an unfair position in the league, but the opposite was true. We were selling and cutting trying to keep our heads above water. Jordan was hoping against hope to turn things around so he could pay his creditors, which is what any business should do. Though I think it was more because he was by far the largest creditor more than any sense of ethics from him.

Palace or not Palace. Clubs that go into administration should be automatically relegated the following season. Clubs are choosing when to enter admin so that relegation is avoided. I seem to remember Palace having a pretty strong squad when they took on Sheff Wed in final game at Hillsborough not a team stuffed with trialists and youth players, did you sell your ground and all assets to pay your debts ? NO YOU DIDN'T..

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As a point of order, they were made redundant by the administrator Brendan Guilfoyle. Their argument was that they should have been entitled under TUPE to go for the same or similar jobs once the company had been purchased by CPFC2010. Which personally I think is a fair point.

But did you chip in to help the 29 like we-8-Brighton feels is the honourable thing to do, to help them get back on their feet as he put it?
As a lot of them had been working without pay.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Your administration came about, in part, because you hired players who were better than you could afford to pay. If you had hired players within your budget, your team would be weaker and chances are one of those near misses wouldn't have been misses, and you'd have been relegated at least once. That is why brighton fans argue that you (and Portsmouth etc.) have the success you have because of administration, not despite it.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
[/B]
Well here is today's exclusive:

by Hugh Southon

4th July 2013 12:20pm BST

Exclusive

Crystal Palace's record signing - Dwight Gayle - has been tipped as a future England star by the man who sold him.

The 22 year old - who only went professional two years ago - agreed a £6.5 million initital fee with the newly promoted Londoners which could hit £10m in add ons.

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry - who oversaw the deal on behalf of The Posh - said: "Under Ian Holloway's management I believe he can become an England player.

"He scored 20 goals for us last season and we were relegated. he scores with both feet, has great skill and tremendous control.

"Palace have lost Wilfried Zaha but they are going to be just as excited by this young man."

Fry signed the player from Dagenham and Redbridge for £450,000 in an after-match deal following a game against Southend United.

Prior to that, in non-league football, Gayle had scored 64 goals for Stansted and 57 for Bishop Storford.

Holloway targeted the player last season should his team gain promotion and moved fast to get his man.

Fry said: "Ian is a tremendous manager particularly with strikers and I believe he will turn this young man into a £20 million player."

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/27596-fry-gayle-s-set-for-england-stardom.php

Come on Headband, It's Sports directs sports news page FFS :D

Banned
May 19, 2013
But did you chip in to help the 29 like we-8-Brighton feels is the honourable thing to do, to help them get back on their feet as he put it?

I didn't even know about them to be honest. I would have if I did. I certainly did for those who lost their jobs in our first administration, and went to the benefit concert organised for them too. It seems they were made redundant right as the club looked to be going under, so I am ashamed to say I wasn't paying enough attention to them. I notice only four were involved in that case. I do hope it's because the others were taken back on, but I don't recognise the names of even those four. As I do for the Brighton employees, I feel terrible for anyone who loses a job. It's a really shitty thing to go through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports