[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
On the whole, I agree with the pragmatism. In last night's circumstance though, it was pure cowardice. I'd have been hugely disappointed if Potter's Albion had done the same. Not with the final result, of course, but with the lack of intent. It was all very Chris Hughton.

To be honest, even without Liverpool at full strength, I think that man for man Liverpool are a much stronger team – and I suspect that would have become even more apparent if Palace had tried to get on the front foot and attack a bit more. In the first 15 minutes I had a feeling that Palace were about to get thrashed. With the personnel at their disposal I don't really blame Palace for their cautious approach, even when Liverpool lost Nunez.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
On the whole, I agree with the pragmatism. In last night's circumstance though, it was pure cowardice. I'd have been hugely disappointed if Potter's Albion had done the same. Not with the final result, of course, but with the lack of intent. It was all very Chris Hughton.

Cowardice :smile:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

The cowardice aspect was after the theatrics for the red card I thought - they cacked themselves then. Up to then they were setting about the game as they normally do - its all they can do without Gallagher. It was Liverpool who were really poor, no pace to their game, really predictable. Feels like something is broken with them, only Diaz at it really

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Be a real shame if the one privately owned house in Wooderson Close was Brighton, Charlton, millwall or even worse a creditor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Parish doing the bare minimum to keep the fans hopes alive whilst not actually spending any meaningful money on the stadium.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Parish doing the bare minimum to keep the fans hopes alive whilst not actually spending any meaningful money on the stadium.

I read somewhere that as an individual Parish has taken more money out of Palace as consultantcy, wages whatever than he personally has ever put in ?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Up to then they were setting about the game as they normally do - its all they can do without Gallagher.

I'm assuming you're fishing here but just in case you're not, we had 57% possession in our loss against Arsenal last week. We'll probably surrender possession against Liverpool & City and play on the counter, but we'll try to dominate possession against pretty much everyone else, for better or for worse.

To be honest, even without Liverpool at full strength, I think that man for man Liverpool are a much stronger team – and I suspect that would have become even more apparent if Palace had tried to get on the front foot and attack a bit more. In the first 15 minutes I had a feeling that Palace were about to get thrashed. With the personnel at their disposal I don't really blame Palace for their cautious approach, even when Liverpool lost Nunez.

I agree. Even with 10 men they were pressing relentlessly, and Luis Diaz was playing like a man possessed. City & Liverpool are so far ahead of everyone else in terms of quality that they'd still probably finish in the top 6 if they played with 10 every week.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm assuming you're fishing here but just in case you're not, we had 57% possession in our loss against Arsenal last week. We'll probably surrender possession against Liverpool & City and play on the counter, but we'll try to dominate possession against pretty much everyone else, for better or for worse.

I agree. Even with 10 men they were pressing relentlessly, and Luis Diaz was playing like a man possessed. City & Liverpool are so far ahead of everyone else in terms of quality that they'd still probably finish in the top 6 if they played with 10 every week.
Not fishing, its been the norm for many years, last season marked a change but Gallagher made a big difference. No surprise seeing them revert to normal behaviour now. It was an opportunity to go for Liverpool after their indifferent start and poor defensive choices. What did Palace do? Sit back and defend. Again. It's funny occasionally shitehousing results at such clubs but not every time surely?

By the way, well done for having such possession at home against Arsenal. That is still an improvement over the last 6 or so years, well done Pat. He's done well to make such profound changes, it has surprised me a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Palace played like they did at the Amex last season. Parked the bus, surrendered possession and sneaked a lucky draw. Even though most of Hodgson’s players have now gone, Vieira does still revert to that style against superior teams such as Liverpool, City and us.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Not fishing, its been the norm for many years, last season marked a change but Gallagher made a big difference. No surprise seeing them revert to normal behaviour now. It was an opportunity to go for Liverpool after their indifferent start and poor defensive choices. What did Palace do? Sit back and defend. Again. It's funny occasionally shitehousing results at such clubs but not every time surely?

By the way, well done for having such possession at home against Arsenal. That is still an improvement over the last 6 or so years, well done Pat. He's done well to make such profound changes, it has surprised me a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Gallagher is an excellent player. He presses relentlessly and intelligently, has a fantastic first touch and can finish like a center forward. He is not, however, a particularly gifted passer of the ball. He's not the sort of player you look to when you want to dictate possession, and he's not particularly good at showing for the ball from a deep position. When played in a deeper role last season he struggled and often went missing.

While Gallagher's pressing and goals will definitely be missed (assuming he doesn't come back before the end of the window) his absence in the side is likely to result in us keeping *more* of the ball, not less. Especially as he'll be replaced by Eze, who is a very gifted passer and dribbler.

As for whether we should stop trying to shithouse results against Liverpool and City... I don't think so. Vieira's willingness to shithouse occasionally meant that we kept two clean sheets against City last season (the only team to do so) and took 4 points off them. If we take the game to everyone outside the Champions League places and sit back to counter against the big boys, that's just fine by me.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Gallagher is an excellent player. He presses relentlessly and intelligently, has a fantastic first touch and can finish like a center forward. He is not, however, a particularly gifted passer of the ball. He's not the sort of player you look to when you want to dictate possession, and he's not particularly good at showing for the ball from a deep position. When played in a deeper role last season he struggled and often went missing.

While Gallagher's pressing and goals will definitely be missed (assuming he doesn't come back before the end of the window) his absence in the side is likely to result in us keeping *more* of the ball, not less. Especially as he'll be replaced by Eze, who is a very gifted passer and dribbler.

Didn't look to be much interest in the ball against Liverpool. Hot potato time. Tenacious energetic midfielders are crucial for front foot football - you have to be brave and inventive and having someone that will get the ball back when lost is essential. You need the ball to be able to pass it and possession is only any good if it is put to good attacking use. He's a big miss for you definitely.

I'd be really surprised if Chelsea let him go but these rich clubs do the strangest things at times

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Didn't look to be much interest in the ball against Liverpool. Hot potato time. Tenacious energetic midfielders are crucial for front foot football - you have to be brave and inventive and having someone that will get the ball back when lost is essential. You need the ball to be able to pass it and possession is only any good if it is put to good attacking use. He's a big miss for you definitely.

I'd be really surprised if Chelsea let him go but these rich clubs do the strangest things at times

All of that seems true to me.

What isn't true, however, is that without Gallagher we'll immediately revert to Hodgson-style bus parking. He'll be a big miss, but I've got every confidence in Dougie Freedman's ability to recruit & Vieira's ability to coach his way out of the problem Conor's absence presents. They don't get much wrong these days.

I think if Conor does move, it'll be because he's not convinced that he'll get enough first team football at Chelsea to get a place in Southgate's World Cup squad. Whether we'll be able to afford him when the likes of Newcastle & Everton will be sniffing around remains to be seen.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
All of that seems true to me.

What isn't true, however, is that without Gallagher we'll immediately revert to Hodgson-style bus parking. He'll be a big miss, but I've got every confidence in Dougie Freedman's ability to recruit & Vieira's ability to coach his way out of the problem Conor's absence presents. They don't get much wrong these days.

I think if Conor does move, it'll be because he's not convinced that he'll get enough first team football at Chelsea to get a place in Southgate's World Cup squad. Whether we'll be able to afford him when the likes of Newcastle & Everton will be sniffing around remains to be seen.

Viera's done great, really surprised me. I can't see him reverting to Hodgson style either but he's clearly concerned that the team aren't able to have a go against the better sides away from home, that was also the case last season - you guys were so timid at our place. However, Viera had so little time and a massive change to playing staff so there's no doubt he has done exceptionally well. I still feel that a big reason for that was Gallagher though.

Freedman and his ability to recruit? Shocked to hear that being said. He has the ability to spend a great deal and gamble, the money wasted at your club on both wages and fees is the reason that the new stand remains on paper. Regardless of all that I think both our clubs will have decent seasons. It's the first season that I've not been concerned about relegation - which probably dooms us......

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Viera's done great, really surprised me. I can't see him reverting to Hodgson style either but he's clearly concerned that the team aren't able to have a go against the better sides away from home, that was also the case last season - you guys were so timid at our place. However, Viera had so little time and a massive change to playing staff so there's no doubt he has done exceptionally well. I still feel that a big reason for that was Gallagher though.

Freedman and his ability to recruit? Shocked to hear that being said. He has the ability to spend a great deal and gamble, the money wasted at your club on both wages and fees is the reason that the new stand remains on paper. Regardless of all that I think both our clubs will have decent seasons. It's the first season that I've not been concerned about relegation - which probably dooms us......

You'll have a hard time finding a Palace fan who doesn't speak highly of Dougie. We had been spending an awful lot of money on players approaching the end of their careers as a sort of 'quick fix' under Pulis & Allardyce, but spent very little under Hodgson due to our wage bill being so high.

In the last two years, Dougie has been briefed with shifting under-performing high earners, reducing the average age of our squad & signing young talent that could be developed and eventually sold for a profit. He has excelled in every area. Our recruitment of late has been exceptional; the likes of Eze, Olise, Guehi, Andersen, etc. have been enormously successful in their first seasons for the club and are a large part of the reason that we're so optimistic about the future. When it comes time for them to be sold, I'd imagine we'll make significant profit on all of them.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You'll have a hard time finding a Palace fan who doesn't speak highly of Dougie. We had been spending an awful lot of money on players approaching the end of their careers as a sort of 'quick fix' under Pulis & Allardyce, but spent very little under Hodgson due to our wage bill being so high.

In the last two years, Dougie has been briefed with shifting under-performing high earners, reducing the average age of our squad & signing young talent that could be developed and eventually sold for a profit. He has excelled in every area. Our recruitment of late has been exceptional; the likes of Eze, Olise, Guehi, Andersen, etc. have been enormously successful in their first seasons for the club and are a large part of the reason that we're so optimistic about the future. When it comes time for them to be sold, I'd imagine we'll make significant profit on all of them.

I've heard lots of criticism of Freedman in the past. The players mentioned were pretty standard I'd say, hardly unearthing good players for good prices. Guehi and Anderson are decent but certainly not worth more than the fee paid - Chelsea with options on Guehi too I understand. Olise was a gamble due to his own issues I believe, hence there not being a queue of clubs for him at the decent price paid, but he seems to have buckled down well. Palace obviously suits him. Eze another standard buy. Nothing there beyond what anyone else could do, meanwhile Benteke got a contract extension at north of £100k/week only to shift him on for free after another unsurprisingly poor season. All very standard/predictable type transfers that aren't going to generate significant profit, definitely an improvement on the previous transfer approach but you'd be hard pushed to find anyone doing worse than before. As for not renewing contacts of the overpaid journeymen signed previously that's not exactly a ringing endorsement either -although an improvement on the Benteke saga certainly.

Football fans are a funny bunch, I recall so much hype about the donkey centre half signed from Liverpool for £30m when that was an extraordinarily high fee - until they realised what everyone else was saying about him after he left at the end of his contract. Awful buy. Not saying that Guehi/Anderson are of that type but are certainly overhyped by Palace fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports