[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It doesn’t look like that…but there’s been a lot of beer since.

[video]https://m.facebook.com/screamingalice1/videos/-on-this-day-march-27-1989-referee-kelvin-morton-awards-a-record-five-penalties-/346886020090284/[/video]

Sounds like Rod Hull on commentary!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It doesn’t look like that…but there’s been a lot of beer since.

[video]https://m.facebook.com/screamingalice1/videos/-on-this-day-march-27-1989-referee-kelvin-morton-awards-a-record-five-penalties-/346886020090284/[/video]

Ha, thanks loz! I remember at the time being outraged at the penalty awards against us, but when I watch these replays, I am always gob-smacked that the only "dodgy" penalty really was the one given to us!! @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=23343" target="_blank">Baldseagull</a></u>.. my memory was viewing from the corner, but as you an read here, my memory of the day is flawed somewhat! Maybe we had the corner and the bit behind the goal. Feel certain that i watched from there, behind the goal, for another game when we played in all red .. Gary O'Reilly still playing for us. age is a terrible thing!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
pretty sure I stood on that terrace to watch us play Charlton (or was it wimbledon?) and the whole ground was fairly united in its opprobrium towards our mutual hosts.. about 1987?

Maybe that's what I have in mind? Would have been Charlton in 87, Dons were still at Plough Lane till the 90's. I also went to a Palace v Newcastle game and stood with Geordies around that time in that end

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We always used to be in the white horse end but pretty sure for the 5 penalty match we were all in the arthur waite.

I was definitely at the Holmesdale end, I just thought I was more central than I must have been.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A 'mildly amusing' (there's a quote for the review) Palace fan at Edinburgh Fringe includes this exchange in his set.

New to me, but it's from five years ago...

palace.png

Still, more up-to-date than the mispelt name in club badge (2004), which was also mentioned.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Will be tuning in to the Palace game tonight.

More than happy to drop to 7th in the table but thoroughly looking forward to Palace sitting on nil points after 2 games

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Will be tuning in to the Palace game tonight.

More than happy to drop to 7th in the table but thoroughly looking forward to Palace sitting on nil points after 2 games

We are 8th so I’d take a drop to 7th after tonight’s game.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I found myself in a strange position last night because I always enjoy it when Liverpool are struggling, just because of all the hangers-on in their support base with no connection to the city. And it's always an instinctive thing to root for the underdog.

So I actually watched the game from a fairly neutral perspective and tried to assess Palace without my usual Brighton bias.

I think they deserved the draw, despite riding their luck quite a lot. The counter-attack for the goal was well worked, exposed Liverpool's flaws, and after that they remained organised, if not exactly fluent.

Which brings me to Zaha. He took his goal well and arguably should have had a winner in the second half, but apart from that I thought he looked like a player who's faded quite a lot. Very little work rate off the ball, nothing like what you see from, say, Maupay when he finds himself isolated for long periods.

I'll admit that Zaha has been a phenomenal player over the years and obviously he does well against us. But last night he looked way past his best. Injury? Attitude? Or just age? I have no idea.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have to say I thought Palace should've taken all three points and, like us, everyone was talking of Liverpool failing rather than recognising what was a decent performance. Hopefully it won't last and they'll not resist cocking it up as the season progresses! Oh, and when Zahahaha goes to PSG or wherever they now think he's worthy of.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
So a draw at Anfield is not to be sniffed at, but Liverpool are weak at present. They had Milner and Elliot in central midfield and were down to ten men with around half an hour to go.
Liverpool equalise and then no change of plan from Palace. Still happy to defend deep and see if they could catch Liverpool on the break. I think it was an opportunity lost for them, albeit a draw is, on paper, a good result at Anfield.
Wins are tough in the Premier League and they failed against a ten man team to capitalise. Oh well...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Palace were particularly fortunate that both Salah and Nunez were hopeless (esp the latter, obviously). But they definitely looked very lively on the break. Zaha is an absolute enigma - took his goal very well, but missed a couple of other presentable chances.
Roy would have been proud of that performance!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really odd from palace - I though Paddy V was meant to bring a brave new world, after the ultra-conservative Roy years? They were good in the first half, and ahead through a really good goal on the break. Then, faced with a misfiring ten men, and the chance for a fantastic win - bottled it, sat deep and played for a point. Very strange.

What I would say, is that they didn't really have an 'extra man' in the second half. Such was Zaha's complete lack of effort, in the latter stages, that it was effectively 10 v 10.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Really odd from palace - I though Paddy V was meant to bring a brave new world, after the ultra-conservative Roy years? They were good in the first half, and ahead through a really good goal on the break. Then, faced with a misfiring ten men, and the chance for a fantastic win - bottled it, sat deep and played for a point. Very strange.

What I would say, is that they didn't really have an 'extra man' in the second half. Such was Zaha's complete lack of effort, in the latter stages, that it was effectively 10 v 10.

Big Pat is being pragmatic. In the majority of games we'll look to keep the ball and dominate possession, and when playing away from home against superior opposition we'll look to keep things tight with 5 defenders and play on the counter. In order to be successful, we'll need to be able to do both. That's how we took 4 points off City last season without conceding a goal. There was definitely a part of me watching the game last night that hoped we'd take the game to Liverpool, but a point away from home is always a good result, especially against Liverpool at Anfield (where they haven't lost a game since the paleolithic era).

As for Wilfried, he was playing as an isolated lone striker for 96 minutes and was tasked with running into the channels to chase through balls for the entire game. It's no surprise he was exhausted. If it were any other player, he'd have been taken off after 60 minutes to be replaced with fresh legs.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Big Pat is being pragmatic. In the majority of games we'll look to keep the ball and dominate possession, and when playing away from home against superior opposition we'll look to keep things tight with 5 defenders and play on the There was definitely a part of me watching the game last night that hoped we'd take the game to Liverpool, but a point away from home is always a good result, especially against Liverpool at Anfield (where they haven't lost a game since the paleolithic era).

How about the 3rd Feb 2021

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55820950

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Big Pat is being pragmatic. In the majority of games we'll look to keep the ball and dominate possession, and when playing away from home against superior opposition we'll look to keep things tight with 5 defenders and play on the counter. In order to be successful, we'll need to be able to do both. That's how we took 4 points off City last season without conceding a goal. There was definitely a part of me watching the game last night that hoped we'd take the game to Liverpool, but a point away from home is always a good result, especially against Liverpool at Anfield (where they haven't lost a game since the paleolithic era).

As for Wilfried, he was playing as an isolated lone striker for 96 minutes and was tasked with running into the channels to chase through balls for the entire game. It's no surprise he was exhausted. If it were any other player, he'd have been taken off after 60 minutes to be replaced with fresh legs.

On the whole, I agree with the pragmatism. In last night's circumstance though, it was pure cowardice. I'd have been hugely disappointed if Potter's Albion had done the same. Not with the final result, of course, but with the lack of intent. It was all very Chris Hughton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports