Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
They are such a shambles of a club; it will probably never happen, but why spend £100m on one totally out of proportion Texas shopping-mall of a stand when 3 sides of Selhurst are not fit for purpose? We built an entire stadium for £100m! Obviously it's a vanity project for their current owners, but surely they could knock down both their cow-shed stands and build something half decent on both sides for that kind of money, perhaps that even match the Holmesdale stand. Anyway, not our problem and long may they provide pre-war standard facilities to the good people of Croydon...

It comes down to space….there isn’t any.

A decision has been made I would think to stay in the south Norwood area, space is limited. Going back to Crystal Palace was knocked on the head quickly by Bromley council for some lots of reasons. To move south we are talking northern Surrey and that just ain’t going to happen, cost , transportation to name a couple of reasons.

So palace are left with trying to upgrade the ground in the footprint they have. The Holmesdale end it a good stand great viewing and good concourse facilities as good as most grounds. The Whitehorse end too small for the premier league although many yeas since I went in there. Park road stand again haven’t been in there for many a year, seats were ok but concourse is poor. Main stand is too small but actually surprisingly ok on the concourse and the bars are good.

With the restrictions of the Whitehorse end, the Holmesdale doesn’t need to be changed IMHO. Park road being on a public road with private housing along it only really practical thing to modernise at the moment is the main stand and that comes with its own difficulties.

But can I just say all this ground business seems to annoy Brighton fans more than palace fans. I sit in the Holmesdale and would not want in changed…I like it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can’t they just sell Zaha for the £53.2bn he’s supposedly worth, and then build an entire new town and stadium?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Can’t they just sell Zaha for the £53.2bn he’s supposedly worth, and then build an entire new town and stadium?

With the average semi in South Norwood going for over half a million that would not go far in that neck of the woods.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

A decision has been made I would think to stay in the south Norwood area, space is limited. Going back to Crystal Palace was knocked on the head quickly by Bromley council for some lots of reasons. To move south we are talking northern Surrey and that just ain’t going to happen, cost , transportation to name a couple of reasons.

So palace are left with trying to upgrade the ground in the footprint they have. The Holmesdale end it a good stand great viewing and good concourse facilities as good as most grounds. The Whitehorse end too small for the premier league although many yeas since I went in there. Park road stand again haven’t been in there for many a year, seats were ok but concourse is poor. Main stand is too small but actually surprisingly ok on the concourse and the bars are good.

With the restrictions of the Whitehorse end, the Holmesdale doesn’t need to be changed IMHO. Park road being on a public road with private housing along it only really practical thing to modernise at the moment is the main stand and that comes with its own difficulties.

But can I just say all this ground business seems to annoy Brighton fans more than palace fans. I sit in the Holmesdale and would not want in changed…I like it.

So basically what your saying is: I’m happy having bagged my ticket in the only decent stand. Everyone else in the other 3 stands can slum it and make do with 1970s standard facilities and sight lines despite paying modern PL prices.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Back onto the original title is Palace fans biggest fear still us turning up safe or has it gone back to basic hygiene and using a bar of soap?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In these anti-car use times surely the answer is to knock out a few parking spaces and shift it over a bit, or do a Liverpool and buy up the houses in Park Road?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
So basically what your saying is: I’m happy having bagged my ticket in the only decent stand. Everyone else in the other 3 stands can slum it and make do with 1970s standard facilities and sight lines despite paying modern PL prices.

Well yes I am happy with where I sit but that was my choice…. Well forever, as I stood in more or less the same place since about 1975.

I don’t think the sight lines are poor from any stand unless you get limited view ones, and I would say better than Everton and much better than QPRs . We have to improve the ground I agree, but if you don’t want to pay then don’t no one is forcing anyone.

As mentioned I have only stood in the park lane and Whitehorse stands so that shows you how long ago it was, I have probably sat in the main stand twice in the last 10 years and even then was pleasantly surprised how nice the bars were. In fact a Liverpool/ Brighton fan I know went to watch Liverpool v palace last year and actually commented at how nice the bars in the main stand were. ( and yes he has a ST at the Amex which I care not a jot !)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well yes I am happy with where I sit but that was my choice…. Well forever, as I stood in more or less the same place since about 1975.

I don’t think the sight lines are poor from any stand unless you get limited view ones, and I would say better than Everton and much better than QPRs . We have to improve the ground I agree, but if you don’t want to pay then don’t no one is forcing anyone.

As mentioned I have only stood in the park lane and Whitehorse stands so that shows you how long ago it was, I have probably sat in the main stand twice in the last 10 years and even then was pleasantly surprised how nice the bars were. In fact a Liverpool/ Brighton fan I know went to watch Liverpool v palace last year and actually commented at how nice the bars in the main stand were. ( and yes he has a ST at the Amex which I care not a jot !)

Interesting about the bars as a few years ago I had to survey the beer dispense equipment in them all after furry things had eaten the pythons.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I'm sorry but how can a Palace fan possibly say the Arthur Wait is fit for purpose. A barely safe concourse, pillars obstructing the views, no leg room in the event of needing to sit down, a low roof making it hard to see all the pitch from the back of the stand....it's a disgrace. Absolute shit heap. I don't doubt the Holmesdale is good but the Arthur Wait is certainly not. "Fine bars" what a load of old tripe

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There is a balance to be had between investment in a first team, training ground facilities and ability to attract young up and coming talent, and having a decent stadium with good facilities and good views. Taking Everton as an example, Goodison is an atmospheric ground but it looks very tired and the view, certainly from the away end isn't great. They are building a nice new shiny stadium in the dock area of Liverpool which will be a huge upgrade.
Selhurst is old school as a stadium and there is a charm to that but eventually big money will need to be spent on it. If you can't increase the capacity, or cost of ticket, by the upgrade then there's a significant financial issue looming. It's not as if it can't be done. Anfield is in an urban area but looks and feels the part. It certainly doesn't feel unloved in any way.
If you take Palace into a nice new stadium in more rural Surrey then it would cost an absolute fortune. It's certainly a dilemma for the club.
I get what you are saying Loz, in that I used to stand on the crumbling east terrace of the Goldstone and loved the atmosphere of the place, but ultimately old stadia are unsustainable. Money is needed to modernise or to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Holmesdale held the away fans in the 80's the first few times I went to Selhurst, when did it change?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Your ground debacle doesn't annoy me. I think it is hilarious that your car crash of a club can't build one new stand.

What annoys me is when I read that the developers engaged by CPFC to build the new stand are wining and dining the MP for the area who employs the "lead Councillor" overseeing the "redevelopment". No shenanigans going on there then. No sirrreeeee!

https://insidecroydon.com/2022/08/10/residents-blocked-from-meeting-by-football-clubs-lobbyists/

BTW did anybody (dullard or otherwise) ever locate the "ring-fenced" £100M kitty?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
0C1C285B-6470-4BCD-BD05-91A72D32CE1A.jpeg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Your ground debacle doesn't annoy me. I think it is hilarious that your car crash of a club can't build one new stand.

What annoys me is when I read that the developers engaged by CPFC to build the new stand are wining and dining the MP for the area who employs the "lead Councillor" overseeing the "redevelopment". No shenanigans going on there then. No sirrreeeee!

https://insidecroydon.com/2022/08/10/residents-blocked-from-meeting-by-football-clubs-lobbyists/

BTW did anybody (dullard or otherwise) ever locate the "ring-fenced" £100M kitty?

Don’t get annoyed about something you nor me can do anything about, what will be will be….chill

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
A key element of the original planning application was a Section 106 agreement between the developers – CPFC – and the planning authority – Croydon Council – that the club would re-locate all households affected by the development, compensate the council for loss of rents and re-locate all residents. But Palace never signed their 2018 S106.

Wow!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Only in the right hand corner. That changed when the new stand was built if not a bit before.

Pretty sure I stood behind the goal for the 5 Penalty match at least.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Pretty sure I stood behind the goal for the 5 Penalty match at least.

It doesn’t look like that…but there’s been a lot of beer since.

[video]https://m.facebook.com/screamingalice1/videos/-on-this-day-march-27-1989-referee-kelvin-morton-awards-a-record-five-penalties-/346886020090284/[/video]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here