Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

theboybilly

For me it's all about their academy. There is a LOT of talent in south London. If they can successfully tap into that then they're going to be in a really strong position. At the moment that talent is going pretty much everywhere but Palace.

If Chelsea's new owner lets the academy side of things slide that opens the door for the rest of the London clubs and the longer Palace stay in the Premier League the more attractive a proposition they'll be. Especially if they have a good community outreach programme(I have no idea if they do).

I really, really hope they continue to be poorly run and their academy fails...

We are tapping into the South London talent scene too. Quite heavily as well. Chelsea will be the big draw for some but there will be gems to snap up. Our Academy have been looking beyond the South East for ages now.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Palace have yet to come across a model that a) generates money from the academy (which we know takes time), b) creates a clear route to the first team (although Vieira seems more Potter than Hodgson on that front) or c) gives players that grounding to succeed in the pyramid somewhere.

Arron Wan Bissaka to Man U for £50 mill ?
2 academy graduates make their debuts this season at 18.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Not forgetting tyrick mitchell who ,not only being our first choice left back ,made his england debut in his breakthrough season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The Wan Bissaka sale wasn't really part of a "model", though was it.
None of that money was reinvested in the squad, as I recall, it just covered some debts didn't it?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The Wan Bissaka sale wasn't really part of a "model", though was it.
None of that money was reinvested in the squad, as I recall, it just covered some debts didn't it?

Facts dear man facts, the 50 million was almost entirely spent on the academy.

You must try and remember most clubs have to self finance projects like that and don’t have an owner that is happy to finance it themselves.

That’s not a dig BTW, that’s your luck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not forgetting tyrick mitchell who ,not only being our first choice left back ,made his england debut in his breakthrough season.

Is that the same Tyick Mitchell who went right through Brentford's academy, only moving when that was closed down, or another Tyick Mitchell?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

You must try and remember most clubs have to self finance projects like that and don’t have an owner that is happy to finance it themselves.

How’s life with co-owner Textor? £90m pumped in last year and this year has bought a Brazilian side to act as your feeder club.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Is that the same Tyick Mitchell who went right through Brentford's academy, only moving when that was closed down, or another Tyick Mitchell?[/QUOTE

Their loss was our gain.
Mind you, Brighton have done similar, picking up Ben White from Southampton?
I also remember Solly March being at Palace .....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah fair enough, but as I said, it wasn't part of a "model".
After 6 years in the Premier League you had to sell your best prospect, in order to fund an academy.
2 seasons later you had to rebuild your squad.
1 season later you have 5 further first teamers out of contract, and your player of the season going back to his parent club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You could of course go bust and pay a penny in the pound, more than once

2010 club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is that the same Tyick Mitchell who went right through Brentford's academy, only moving when that was closed down, or another Tyick Mitchell?[/QUOTE

Their loss was our gain.
Mind you, Brighton have done similar, picking up Ben White from Southampton?
I also remember Solly March being at Palace .....

When was Solly at Palace?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Is that the same Tyick Mitchell who went right through Brentford's academy, only moving when that was closed down, or another Tyick Mitchell?

The other tyrick Mitchell.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah fair enough, but as I said, it wasn't part of a "model".
After 6 years in the Premier League you had to sell your best prospect, in order to fund an academy.
2 seasons later you had to rebuild your squad.
1 season later you have 5 further first teamers out of contract, and your player of the season going back to his parent club.

I don’t believe Conner was the player of the year ?

Not really sure where your going with 5 players out of contract that must be the same at all clubs, and I think at least two of them only signed one season contracts anyway.

All these things are not really fear though it’s pretty standard football stuff.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I don’t believe Conner was the player of the year ?

Not really sure where your going with 5 players out of contract that must be the same at all clubs, and I think at least two of them only signed one season contracts anyway.

All these things are not really fear though it’s pretty standard football stuff.

He wasn't. Conor Gallagher got it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here