[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace did a fantastic job in phase 1 of their rebuild.
Freeman did a great job in identifying players to come in, but he doesn't identify particularly cheap options.
Much of last summer's deals were funded by Yank #3's money.

There are quite a few contracts coming to an end again and Gallagher to either sign or replace.
Freeman and Parish may need another excellent summer to stand still.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Strictly speaking both the predecessor companies went into administration once each, and no-longer exist. :wink:

True, which is why CPFC has a 12 year old history.

I guess when the club reaches its teenage years their fans will have to dress up in some sort of teenager garb, say like black hoodies or something....

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Fair play to Palace for ditching the gambling firm - let's hope the trend continues.

It's long overdue - hopefully the same will apply to naming of stadiums etc.
I was called out on here many years ago for stating I didn't think it right when the official bha site started advertising links to bet365 or something similar. It was the thin end of the wedge and it's good something is being done about it now.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Good read.

https://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286475

Will be interesting next season.

My pick of the comments at the end of the thread below.
e464fcbd25b02f29b759fb02ac8cb508.jpg
cbd69761ade152a49159ec99a6af7923.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Good read.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I have never known how Palace fans truly believe they have more room for growth than we do. They are one of many teams in London. We are the only team in the entire counties of both East and West Sussex (tinpot Crawley aside).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Good read.

It’s wonderful how you can spin situations when just ignore certain facts. Saying we’ve peaked & their future is adorned with success is a pure guess plucked out of a fictional future. & it’s funny how they comment on the reason for our success being down to Bloom pumping in money yet our net spend over the last few transfer windows has been very very low. & no doubt will be again in this window.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be fair to Palace who wouldn't be smug at such a fairytale season. Who would have thought that a net transfer investment of just £77 million, the fourth highest in the division behind Arsenal, Newcastle and Man Utd, could have seen a side shoot up from 14th to 12th?

In terms of transfer spend per league position change from 20/21 to 21/22:

Man Utd, Leeds, West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa, Burnley & Norwich all made investment, but lost ground.
Man City & Watford invested and stood still.
Of those who improved, Newcastle's £118.35m bought them 1 rung on the ladder, Liverpool's 1 place improvement cost them £53.55m. Arsenal gained 3 league places, paying £40.8m per rung, whilst Spurs' 3 places cost them only £18.53m each. Palace's 2 place improvement cost them £38.52m per position, whilst Brentford's 7 place leap came at a cost of £4.59m per position, and Wolves' 3 places, at a bargain £1.74m each.

Only four teams made a net profit on this season's transfers. Everton made £5.85m, but it cost them 6 league positions, Southampton made a handy £15.54m, but remained in 15th spot. Chelsea impressively made £1.76m whilst moving up from 4th to 3rd. Brighton improved by 7 league positions, whilst pocketing £4.32m, making £617,000 in transfer fees per league position gained.

This is of course a peak for Brighton. I've read somewhere that 'Bloom can only pump money into the club for so long.' The latter part is obviously a concern. What chairman could possibly sustain making a £0.6m profit on net transfer spend for every league position that his team improves? Especially if that has to be balanced with the third lowest wage bill of the 17 teams that weren't relegated.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
“Brighton have peaked”

How did they come to that conclusion, we have just started to move on up.

As Bournemouth used to mockingly call us “Club Infrastructure”, who had the last laugh?

Palace are in for a rude awakening if they think we have peaked…imo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think they realise that next season is also a rebuilding season for them.
5 players, who have featured in more than 10 starting elevens, are out of contract next month.

Unless their academy is ready to produce first teamers, money will need to be spent again.
Fortunately the yanks will be reallocating the Chelsea buyout cash into project Palace.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think they realise that next season is also a rebuilding season for them.
5 players, who have featured in more than 10 starting elevens, are out of contract next month.

Unless their academy is ready to produce first teamers, money will need to be spent again.
Fortunately the yanks will be reallocating the Chelsea buyout cash into project Palace.

On the Chelsea front, it amazing that, given Palace's amazing academy, their two best players are a) a Chelsea academy product bought for a substantial fee and b) a Chelsea academy product on a season-long loan deal.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
On the Chelsea front, it amazing that, given Palace's amazing academy, their two best players are a) a Chelsea academy product bought for a substantial fee and b) a Chelsea academy product on a season-long loan deal.

Worth mentioning that Gallagher is not one of the 5 I referred to in my post.
5 contracts to be renewed/replaced and a Gallagher sized hole to be filled.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To be fair to Palace who wouldn't be smug at such a fairytale season. Who would have thought that a net transfer investment of just £77 million, the fourth highest in the division behind Arsenal, Newcastle and Man Utd, could have seen a side shoot up from 14th to 12th?

In terms of transfer spend per league position change from 20/21 to 21/22:

Man Utd, Leeds, West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa, Burnley & Norwich all made investment, but lost ground.
Man City & Watford invested and stood still.
Of those who improved, Newcastle's £118.35m bought them 1 rung on the ladder, Liverpool's 1 place improvement cost them £53.55m. Arsenal gained 3 league places, paying £40.8m per rung, whilst Spurs' 3 places cost them only £18.53m each. Palace's 2 place improvement cost them £38.52m per position, whilst Brentford's 7 place leap came at a cost of £4.59m per position, and Wolves' 3 places, at a bargain £1.74m each.

Only four teams made a net profit on this season's transfers. Everton made £5.85m, but it cost them 6 league positions, Southampton made a handy £15.54m, but remained in 15th spot. Chelsea impressively made £1.76m whilst moving up from 4th to 3rd. Brighton improved by 7 league positions, whilst pocketing £4.32m, making £617,000 in transfer fees per league position gained.

This is of course a peak for Brighton. I've read somewhere that 'Bloom can only pump money into the club for so long.' The latter part is obviously a concern. What chairman could possibly sustain making a £0.6m profit on net transfer spend for every league position that his team improves? Especially if that has to be balanced with the third lowest wage bill of the 17 teams that weren't relegated.

Good stats. Using last year's loss of 53.4m as a benchmark, I worked out that accounting for the fact that this included about 15m Covid costs, adding the extra amortisation of the new transfers (but taking away amortisation from Izquierdo and Ryan's expired contracts) and then allowing for an extra 15m in TV money and around 70m in player sales, that we'll have made a profit in the region of £35m. Probably some stuff I've not accounted for, but I'd be fairly confident that Tony Bloom won't have needed to 'pump any money in' over the last 9-10 months.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
whether we like it or not, Palace have been ahead of us for a long long time, and have with the exception of a couple of results between us , been "better" in terms of league positions and also getting results from the top 6.

This has been a given ever since we were promoted, and of course for the seasons they were Prem and we were championship.
What they now have to come to terms with, is that after almost twice as long in the prem as us, despite all that tv money, we have been making ground slowly but surely, and we are now at the point where we are statistically ahead of them not only in league position, but also equally as likely-or more so- to get a positive result from the traditional top 6 clubs. Indeed we gathered just one point bless from the top six than they did-and we were first and second in that regard compared to the rest of the other 14

This season has seen us end with almost identical win, loss, draw records, and so even the most die hard head in the sand refusnik among them must realise that in every respect we are at least equal to, and in most cases ahead of them (ground, academy,finances etc)

I cant actually think of one area in which Palace are better off than Brighton

What must be especially galling for them is the fact that they now know beyond any doubt that the American backers were actively wanting to invest in a different club, whilst Tony has shown for a years and years that he isnt looking to jump ship as soon as a better offer comes along. That must shake their faith that the club is on a sound footing (if it ever were), and leave them in fear of there financial backing may vanish very quickly. The comments that Tony cant keep putting money in despite all evidence that he is highly unlikely to withdraw support, is simply clutching at straws in the quest of finding issues at Brighton.

It has to be said that after years of simply buying expensive misfits and spending a fortune on wages, they now have looked south and seen that the way to do it is to invest in younger players, and develop talent. They have to an extent copied our managerial style with a youngish manager playing it has to be said, attractive football.

As a result the two clubs are quite evenly matched in terms of on field ability but I would think most realise that we are way ahead in terms of stability, facilities and having the groundwork not only in place but producing financial results, and players for a sustainable positive future.

I think that neither club is going to be troubling the Champions league for a while, but equally it would seem neither should be too concerned about facing the championship relegation battle.

Things of course could change, no one foresaw Evertons struggling to the extent they did, but Everton proved that spunking lots of money doesnt guarantee safety, but the clubs who take a longer view, with solid finances , a integrated management, recruitment and development policy are more likely to weather short term fluctuations in form and financial conditions

Its a new reality for Palace, a lot of us have been saying for a while that we were catching up and they were not progressing, I think they are now aware of that, and the owners seem to have cottoned on that our was was in fact the better way and have now moved to c hange, but its now them in the catch up stage, their acadamy is someway behind in producing regular players for prem, championship where as we are now seeing the results . I think we are in for a year or two of us being quite evenly matched on the field, and its going to be interesting if the Palace board will hold their nerve if and when a 6 matches loss sequence comes around

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Worth mentioning that Gallagher is not one of the 5 I referred to in my post.
5 contracts to be renewed/replaced and a Gallagher sized hole to be filled.

Very good point. To be honest, Palace are in a FAR better place now than under Hodgson and Vieira has done a good job in his first season. There's nothing wrong in admitting that Palace are moving in the right direction after years or colossal mis-steps, but I genuinely believe that we're in a better place.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very good point. To be honest, Palace are in a FAR better place now than under Hodgson and Vieira has done a good job in his first season. There's nothing wrong in admitting that Palace are moving in the right direction after years or colossal mis-steps, but I genuinely believe that we're in a better place.

Agree, Brighton is situated on the coast, beautiful countryside and fresh coastal air.
Whereas the Croydon crew are inland and surrounded by pollution and bile :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
“Brighton have peaked”

How did they come to that conclusion, we have just started to move on up.

As Bournemouth used to mockingly call us “Club Infrastructure”, who had the last laugh?

Palace are in for a rude awakening if they think we have peaked…imo

Of course we've peaked, when are Palace fans ever wrong? Everyone remembers that second season syndrome at The Amex when the crowds fell away and we all had about 8 seats each to chose from each game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports