Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PA System

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Paul Samrah had been relieved of his matchday duties at the Amex so I was very very pleased to see him announcing again today. The glitches he had were so funny to me because, although we have a magnificent new home, along with the comedy goals, it was so Brighton!

The glitch reminded us of Norman Collier. [yt]pQjmqfZX9CA[/yt]

I hope he is gonna continue announcing, a genuine owner of the much overused Albion legend tag imo.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Such a shame that this took the shine off the day for Paul. Still, it wouldn't be the Albion if everything was easy! Hopefully, over time he'll be able to look back on it and laugh - certainly no reason to be embarrassed, just one of those things.

As for the person who slated him - that's beneath contempt. Utter moron. If it wasn't for the likes of Paul, there'd have been no new stadium to open.

I'm sure all the difficulties will be ironed out over time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just to add to the sentiment Paul, you are much appreciated by all genuine Albion fans, anyone who says otherwise is not worth the time of day. Really gutted for you that your day was spoilt, honestly though, I was in the East and although it was frustrating, nobody could have or did blame you. Just those pesky Gremlins.....

I sincerely hope you continue with the announcements and can put this behind you. :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A shame that mic time was wasted on Richie Reynolds and the opera singer when I'm sure most in attendance would have rather listened to Knight, Bloom, Perry and Chapman say at least a few words on such an occasion.

To have them standing there but basically ignore them was an insult, IMO. To be honest, the whole 'opening ceremony' came across to me at least as a half-arsed farce. Sussex By The Sea was a mess because all you could hear was the opera singer yelling it, the band and any effort from the fans was utterly drowned out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A shame that mic time was wasted on Richie Reynolds and the opera singer when I'm sure most in attendance would have rather listened to Knight, Bloom, Perry and Chapman say at least a few words on such an occasion.

To have them standing there but basically ignore them was an insult, IMO. To be honest, the whole 'opening ceremony' came across to me at least as a half-arsed farce. Sussex By The Sea was a mess because all you could hear was the opera singer yelling it, the band and any effort from the fans was utterly drowned out.

I thought that was one of the best points as even with his lead the fans tried to speed it up but he kept it going at the correct pace. I agree about the amplification for the band.I don't think that words from DK or TB was needed and did I sense a little hostility between the two as everybody shook hands with each other but I didn't notice them shake each others hands, perhaps I just missed it.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Shame it didn't cut out at the right time to stop that bloody opera singer RUINING Sussex By The Sea.

This. It wasn't Paul's problems that spoilt it for me.
Why did that knob of a singer decide to put his own slant on both 'Abide with me', and 'SBTS'. Changing the key at the end of both, totally ruined the show.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Shame it didn't cut out at the right time to stop that bloody opera singer RUINING Sussex By The Sea.

I thought the opposite it's a shame people didn't listen to how it is supposed to be sung and at the right speed. Everybody should learn the words as it could become a anthem

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I thought the opposite it's a shame people didn't listen to how it is supposed to be sung and at the right speed. Everybody should learn the words as it could become a anthem

Sorry, but having waited 14 years to sing that as the teams come out at our new home, it should have been left to the fans and the marching band to do the job, not an opera singer who couldn't even get all the words right.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The mics also cut out for the blessing from the Centre Circle, so no it had nothing to do with where I was standing or whether I moved around or not. We swapped mics, batteries, levels & everything. We did a test this morning and earlier this week and all was fine. It might have been amusing for some, but it ruined the day for me - after 14 years, I was so looking forward to it. These things happen, but I wish they didn't!

It might have seemed it at the time but you shouldn't look back and consider the day ruined by that technical fault. Let's be honest, you weren't waiting 14 years to introduce a few legends as I'm sure you will agree that there was more significance to the day than that, and your contribution over that 14 years to achieving it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but having waited 14 years to sing that as the teams come out at our new home, it should have been left to the fans and the marching band to do the job, not an opera singer who couldn't even get all the words right.

What words did he get wrong then?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite. But at least it gave me a chance to use this reputation functionality and express my opinion that way

That's the sort of post expressing negative reputation was made for (Mr Burns not ROSM). I've done the same.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What words did he get wrong then?

End of the second verse, the line should be "when you go from Sussex, whoever you may be, you may tell them all that we stand and fall, for Sussex by the Sea" whereas he sang "if you come to Sussex", which makes naff all sense whatsoever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
End of the second verse, the line should be "when you go from Sussex, whoever you may be, you may tell them all that we stand and fall, for Sussex by the Sea" whereas he sang "if you come to Sussex", which makes naff all sense whatsoever.

It's
When you come to Sussex, whoever you may be
You can tell them all that you'll stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's
When you come to Sussex, whoever you may be
You can tell them all that you'll stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea.

Sorry, but that lyric that makes no sense. Why would you come to Sussex and tell people that? We already know that. Surely it should be 'go from' as in you leave Sussex and tell the wider world "that we'll stand or fall"

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In any case, I still feel that it was a mess and would have been much improved if he had just shut up. All a matter of opinions I suppose. :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The words of Sussex by the Sea are

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the sea.