Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] P and O

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Johnson's reply to criticism of this on PMQT just now was that they are in favour of commerce and jobs, wheras labour is against this.
But the Tory Brexit government have made it more expensive and time consuming to trade with our closest trading partners? The twists, turns, lies and denials from this shower are incredible.....even Sunak has traded his soul in for the hope of the PM job....." The work starts now. " .. obviously forgetting the last 12 years !

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The new staff will be on the international maritime minimum wage.

£5.56 per hour.

Edit: £5.15 to £6 per hour.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Jesus wept.

Some utter CJTC representative of P&O is on BBC news at the moment 'justifying' their actions.

Horrendous.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently Huw Merriman MP, Con. told the boss of P&O that " he should resign for knowingly breaking the law as regards the sackings of British seamen."

Was it not the Conservative government that said they were willing to break international law in Northern Ireland in a " Limited and specific way " ?

Once you start ignoring laws and rules where does it end?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
what can the TUC do; what could the Irish unions have done that they didnt do?

Call a 24 hour general strike - shut the country down and let the Tories and P&O know there would be more to come - then get the European Trade Union Confederation to black and boycott any and all movement by P&O and anything moving on or off their ships (French and Belgian dock workers have already declared they will black P&O).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Thanks to Thatcher 'secondary action' is not legal in the UK. The only people who can strike are the sacked workers.

F*ck Thatcher's anti-union laws - it is about time they were broken

The British people voted for this because they didn't like being dictated to by unions.
Bullsh*t - the only reason Thatcher every got elected was because of the anti-working class policies of the Wilson/Callaghan government - and the subsequent incompetence of first Michael Foot's LP (sabotaged by the Gang of Four) and particularly the proto-tory Lord Kinnock.

I doubt the British people will concern itself much with the sacked workers. We have moved on from all that sort of thing. We are free, now.
Yes 'free' to be abused by the likes of P&O and tossed onto the scrap heap at a whim so they can increase their profits - Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem really needs to add to his $6billion to cement his place among the oligarchs of the UAE

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
F*ck Thatcher's anti-union laws - it is about time they were broken

Bullsh*t - the only reason Thatcher every got elected was because of the anti-working class policies of the Wilson/Callaghan government - and the subsequent incompetence of first Michael Foot's LP (sabotaged by the Gang of Four) and particularly the proto-tory Lord Kinnock.

Yes 'free' to be abused by the likes of P&O and tossed onto the scrap heap at a whim so they can increase their profits - Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem really needs to add to his $6billion to cement his place among the oligarchs of the UAE

I normally agree with most of your post JRG :) - But I am not having Michael Foot ''trashed'' - He was one of the most '' progressive '' human beings this country has ever seen - I was very young when he was Leader of the Labour Party but I met him later on in life after he had left Politics at a fund raising event and his views on so many social justice and equal rights issues were way ahead of their time.

He told me a story about someone came to his door one time campaigning on behalf of Local Residents in Hampstead to get a Burger Van closed down which apparently was somewhere close to Jack Straws Castle Pub - I can't verify his story because he was telling his own story but he said to me that the local Residents asked him to sign a Petition to close the Burger Van Down because it was attracting Gay Men on to Hampstead Heath. He claimed he told them to sling their hook because and I quote - He said he said to them '' those Boys will be cold when they come off the Heath and would need a good warm cup of tea ''

I pissed myself laughing when he told me the story because I was looking at this old bloke who must have been about 80 at the time and I just couldn't imagine him as some sort of ''Gay Activist''

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

…. and he would’ve 100% known that at the time, “ends justify the means”. Today, intimating that it was an accidental oversight.

Then saying it’s alright because of the discretionary redundancy payouts (way in excess of the statutory maximum).

But that does not compensate the pecuniary loss in foregoing the remainder of a working life’s remuneration at P&O.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Caught some of this today and some of the questions were farcical. As i would like to know why and what went on in the Middle East in November last year when Grant Shapps was it seems told by P and O huge major changes were on the way. Any decent QC would have ripped Hebblethwaite to shreads.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I normally agree with most of your post JRG :) - But I am not having Michael Foot ''trashed'' - He was one of the most '' progressive '' human beings this country has ever seen - I was very young when he was Leader of the Labour Party but I met him later on in life after he had left Politics at a fund raising event and his views on so many social justice and equal rights issues were way ahead of their time.

He told me a story about someone came to his door one time campaigning on behalf of Local Residents in Hampstead to get a Burger Van closed down which apparently was somewhere close to Jack Straws Castle Pub - I can't verify his story because he was telling his own story but he said to me that the local Residents asked him to sign a Petition to close the Burger Van Down because it was attracting Gay Men on to Hampstead Heath. He claimed he told them to sling their hook because and I quote - He said he said to them '' those Boys will be cold when they come off the Heath and would need a good warm cup of tea ''

I pissed myself laughing when he told me the story because I was looking at this old bloke who must have been about 80 at the time and I just couldn't imagine him as some sort of ''Gay Activist''

You misunderstand the point I was making NooBHA - I have also met Foot and he was, as you point out, a decent guy. The problem was that he did exactly what Corbyn tried to do - accommodate the (what would now be called Blairites) 'Gang of Four' and their wider circle - and they did just what the Blairites did to Corbyn - stabbed him in the back, irrespective of the consequences to the Labour Party and to the working class in Britain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I quite enjoyed the public monstering that grasping slimeball Hebblethwaite got today. "Are you in this mess because you don't know what you're doing, or are you just a shameless criminal ?"

Won't mean much in the great scheme of things unless he is forced to resign, but it was good to see a piece of filth like him squirm on a hook for a while. No doubt he'll still get his grubby mits on his bonuses, and hs index-linked pension. But everyone now knows what an utter scumbag he is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here