Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new Prime Minister Theresa May, and her cabinet...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
but prepared to accept and get on with Brexit and is sensible enough to not make any categorical promises or assurances prior to Article 50 negotiations.
Well that would be her spin on it yes. In reality the EU aren't going to say that Brits have to come home while their citizens are free to stay here, but there's no need to state now that these people are bargaining chips. It's bad enough for foreigners here already, I think it's better to reassure them that they won't be kicked out.

But I'm not against May, she may be the best person for the job, I really don't know.

If one thing is constant in politics it's don't trust a politician, May was in the Remain camp but reluctantly, all the sound bites are she was a leaver.
That's not a great sign.
Boris was a leaver but mainly so he could oppose Cameron, all his leanings were towards Remain, go figure.
And people criticise him for it, but they don't have a problem with May doing the same ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you genuinely think they are similar situations.
If she wanted us to leave, but campaigned for remain to help her career, then yes, it seems pretty clear. It was the biggest decision our country had made for decades, so I think it would be pretty poor if she campaigned against what she believed in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If she wanted us to leave, but campaigned for remain to help her career, then yes, it seems pretty clear. It was the biggest decision our country had made for decades, so I think it would be pretty poor if she campaigned against what she believed in.

Well of course that would be the case but you start of by saying 'if'. Your previous post suggested you knew she did it purely as a career move.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well of course that would be the case but you start of by saying 'if'. Your previous post suggested you knew she did it purely as a career move.
I was replying to smeg's accusation that May was a leaver, but in the remain camp. I can't think of a good reason for that to be the case, can you?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well that would be her spin on it yes. In reality the EU aren't going to say that Brits have to come home while their citizens are free to stay here, but there's no need to state now that these people are bargaining chips. It's bad enough for foreigners here already, I think it's better to reassure them that they won't be kicked out.

But I'm not against May, she may be the best person for the job, I really don't know.

Once we've left The EU, will the reciprocal future rights of citizens definitely be down to an agreement between the UK and the EU or down to an agreement between the UK and individual countries though? Nothing is guaranteed.

EU citizens currently here and UK citizens in the EU are protected by the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties and British citizens in The EU will additionally be safeguarded by the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. As Home Secretary I would assume Theresa May would know that and could give an assurance on that to current residents, but future arrangements are far from certain.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Teresa is a good old Sussex Girl
Maybe DC will have time this season to watch his team at the Amex. ��

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Rumours are now circulating at Westminster about a new centre party being formed by Labour MPs if Jeremy Corbyn stays in place and by Tories if Andrea Leadsom wins their leadership. Peter Oborne first hinted at this on the Week in Westminster on the Saturday after the referendum:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/labour-tory-mps-talk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...new-pro-eu-centrist-party-reported-at-westmi/

Depending on the result of the Tory leadership contest, this might interest me, as I know it might some on here (as a member of the Mid Sussex Association at that time I watched in despair in 2001 as the MPs rejected Michael Portillo, then voted for Ken Clarke, knowing the membership would go for Iain Duncan-Smith). The thing I can't understand is though, why form a new party, why not just defect to the Liberal Democrats en masse? A new party would have to work closely with them in a General Election anyway.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Rumours are now circulating at Westminster about a new centre party being formed by Labour MPs if Jeremy Corbyn stays in place and by Tories if Andrea Leadsom wins their leadership. Peter Oborne first hinted at this on the Week in Westminster on the Saturday after the referendum:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...new-pro-eu-centrist-party-reported-at-westmi/

Depending on the result of the Tory leadership contest, this might interest me, as I know it might some on here (as a member of the Mid Sussex Association at that time I watched in despair in 2001 as the MPs rejected Michael Portillo, then voted for Ken Clarke, knowing the membership would go for Iain Duncan-Smith). The thing I can't understand is though, why form a new party, why not just defect to the Liberal Democrats en masse? A new party would have to work closely with them in a General Election anyway.

The Sunday Times is reporting today that a 'senior Tory MEP' has approached the Lib Dems in regards to co-operating if Leadsom wins. It reported last week that members of the Labour party had also approached Lord Ashdown. It states Tim Farron is interested in re-branding The Liberal Democrats as 'The Democrats' as well. If Leadsom wins and Corbyn hangs on, things could get very interesting. 20 MP's prepared to resign from The Conservative party if Leadsom wins too, according to The Sunday Times.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Rumours started to increase pressure on Corbyn and influence Tory members in the leadership vote perhaps?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds like a vote of no confidence and an election if 'No Leader As Mad' wins ? ???

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sounds like a vote of no confidence and an election if 'No Leader As Mad' wins ? ???

That's what I'm starting to think. I'm also starting to think if you want Brexit and you actually want to get on with it, you want Theresa May as Prime Minister despite her supporting 'remain'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...The thing I can't understand is though, why form a new party, why not just defect to the Liberal Democrats en masse? A new party would have to work closely with them in a General Election anyway.

because they dont share the same philosophies and core political ideaology? its quite unlikely to see a Conservative-Labour centre party for this reason, theres some fairly entrenched believes about how you approach running the country that they wouldnt agree on. policy can be flexible, agreeing on individual acts to address certain objectives, but on how you form the policies and broader outlook, there are deep divisions. thats not to say its not possible, though you'd wonder why they were in their respective parties in the first place. and i dont think it would last, they would be unifying on one issue, why divided on so many others as to be unworkable in the medium to long term.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Rumours started to increase pressure on Corbyn and influence Tory members in the leadership vote perhaps?

More to do with the grass roots coup within the labour party being organised via Momentum. They took control of the Brighton and Hove labour party yesterday for example, with membership numbers swollen by green voters and the SWP.

The centre of UK politics is in danger of imploding, which would leave us with something much closer to the policitical situation in France (oh the bitter irony of it).

The Sunday Times is reporting today that a 'senior Tory MEP' has approached the Lib Dems in regards to co-operating if Leadsom wins. It reported last week that members of the Labour party had also approached Lord Ashdown. It states Tim Farron is interested in re-branding The Liberal Democrats as 'The Democrats' as well. If Leadsom wins and Corbyn hangs on, things could get very interesting. 20 MP's prepared to resign from The Conservative party if Leadsom wins too, according to The Sunday Times.

That would be interesting indeed.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
More to do with the grass roots coup within the labour party being organised via Momentum. They took control of the Brighton and Hove labour party yesterday for example, with membership numbers swollen by green voters and the SWP.

The centre of UK politics is in danger of imploding, which would leave us with something much closer to the policitical situation in France (oh the bitter irony of it).

If May wins under the unity/safe pare of hands ticket (which is likely) I think she is sensible enough to anchor the new Government in the centre ground.

Labour on the other hand look doomed and may well split. Some sort of realignment on the centre left will be needed while Corbyn and his delusional band of followers can disappear to the fringes holding protest rallies/meetings of like minded people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here