Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Advice on moving to London

If you are working in Holborn, travelling from Brighton using the Thameslink to Farringdon MUST be a better option.

No tube, easy walking distance, and the ability to leave this festering smegheap on Friday for the delights of Gods Own County is SUCH a great sensation.

and ther's plenty opportunity for :drink: and more :drink:

Dandyman

In London village.
Meade's_Ball said:
Are you fancy Crouch End N8 or dirty Turnpike Lane N8?
Either way, good work.

On the "Ladder" Green Lanes stylee.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
right firstly Stretham is one of the worst place in London, a year or 2 ago they moved all the dealers out of Brixton to there ...(well known fact)

Peckham is a disgrace!! loads of crack heads and building a few crumby "new" housing blocks aint gonna change that

I would recommend- Surrey quay, Earls Court (right next to chelsea without the chelsea prices), battersea (prounounced battersia), Harrow (bit far out)

Stick to the west most of the east is still shitty, certain parts of Hackney are ok though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I agree with your commenst about Streatham, Brixton is trying to become the new Camden Town isn't it ? Peckhan is not bad along the Rye but bloody dangerous in the centre, I believe it has the highest crime rate in London.

As for the other areas, like I said much earlier, all well and good but horrendously expensive.

Last edited:

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
my missus is trying to get me to move to the 'big smoke',she works at st george's,tooting...i'm currently working at victoria and i'm reasonably happy with the commute but if we did move to london i'd propbably be thinking of streatham,is it really that bad...? brighton's coke city after all...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tooting is a sod of a place to get to from Brighton, I'd be thinking more of somewhere out Mitcham way if I was you.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
OFAHrulz said:
I hear Blackheath is a lovely area :clap2:

Lovely, yes, but too far out - or it was for me (I lived there for a year).

Used to take me an hour, sometimes more, to get into the West End (walk/bus then train then tube). The same trip was 30min from Balham.

On the plus side, a couple of months after he played for us, Paul Emblem spotted me in an Albion shirt on Shooter's Hill Road, and gave me a lift to our match at Barnet. :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhaexpress said:
Tooting is a sod of a place to get to from Brighton, I'd be thinking more of somewhere out Mitcham way if I was you.

Oi, Tooting's all right. It takes me exactly hour from Brighton station to home if I get the connections right. Mitcham's not much quicker to Brighton, although a lot cheaper.

What Tooting has got going for it are the sub-continent restaurants; best place in London for Indian food (and Pakistani and Sri Lankan).

Streatham's not that bad: Peckham's to be avoided though - it's dog rough around there.

Answering the original question: I think you'll be pushing it to find somewhere cheap within 30 minutes of Holborn, perhaps around Turnpike Lane/Wood Green is an option.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
When I first moved to London, and worked in Holborn, I found a place in Wood Green. Not an area of outstanding natural beauty but convenient and a clear run on the Piccadilly Line. Harringay used to be OK but in the last couple of years there has been an increase in gang crime, mostly Kurds and Turks battling each other so more tense than it used to be.

Dandyman

In London village.
cheshunt seagull said:
When I first moved to London, and worked in Holborn, I found a place in Wood Green. Not an area of outstanding natural beauty but convenient and a clear run on the Piccadilly Line. Harringay used to be OK but in the last couple of years there has been an increase in gang crime, mostly Kurds and Turks battling each other so more tense than it used to be.

True enough, Green Lanes used to be very Cypriot when I first lived there. It's now more Turkish/Kurdish/Kosovan and there are a few "business discussions", the flip side is no one is stupid enough to try any street crime and the shops and restuarants tend to be open for 18 hours a day.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Lot depends if buying or renting really..

General concencus is that it's cheaper to commute, and live in BTN (by the time you take into account house prices etc) but what price minimum 3 hrs a day travelling...?

Too much for me to move back i'm afraid....

It was about £2500 p/annum for a years travel card into LDN Bridge....add more for a underground card....and the Thameslink trains are generally full out of London Br until E.Croydon..and then you've got 1/2 hour to get home from the station too..

I bought in Herne Hill (SE24) 5 mins from Brixton, 25 mins from City, has Brockwell park/Dulwich on it's doorstep.
We've even just had a Sainsbury's Local recently open..(I know that will not mean much to some people, but means a lot to me <extra value on house etc>)

If i was going to buy now, (and wanted to make money on the house) then i'd look at Gypsy Hill/Forest Hill

If your renting (it's about £100 a week where ever you go anyway) look at Battersea/Clapham Junction/Balham for ammenities, social life, fitties, and bars

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Cheers for the comments. Commuting from Brighton is out of the question. Its my first proper job after graduating and hours are minimum 8.30 to 6.30. Looking for a flatshare. Cheapest and nearest seems to be the east end - bethnal green, mile end, leytonstone. Considering holloway road or further up bounds green/wood green aswell.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Stick to south London whatever you do but sorry rowdey's having a laugh if he thinks £100 will get you anything.

Get a very fast motorbike and commute pleasurably in less than an hour from the seaside would be my recommendation.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Brixtaan said:
Stick to south London whatever you do but sorry rowdey's having a laugh if he thinks £100 will get you anything.

OK explanation needed then.
What i meant was that you can pay £100 for even for the cheapest nastyish flatshare in London (anywhere- Tooting, Streatham, Mitcham, Peckam, Norwood) so you might as well pay up to 40/50% more to live in a nice place like Battersea/Clap J...

I know of a (nice) flatshare in Streatham which is only £80 a week, so can't be that far off the pace with £100..

jeez...

Agree with South Ldn.....cleaner, closer to BTN etc but that argument prob deserves it's own thread...

Robyn

Oct 8, 2003
London
I live on the streatham hill/streatham border. Streatham Hill is a vague place between Streatham and Brixton which benfits from the low rents for big houses while not having the pain in the arse eliments who'd stab ya as soon as look at ya. Although i did catch a strange man sat in my car once.

I'd commute if i could.

The problem is London is a city (no shit sherlock!) and with a city comes crime whereever you go. Just because you live in a posh end of town doesn't mean you're away from the criminals or hookers...they're probably just richer and better dressed than you!

:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here