Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Advice on moving to London

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Have recently got a job in Holborn and am wondering where would be a reasonably cheap but ok place to live in London. (Has to be within half an hours commuting distance of Holborn). Any ideas?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simple answer, Don't ! You're better off comuting. Anywhere decent will decent will cost you an arm and two legs. Anywhere else will be a shithole.

Don't believe anything Dwayne says either.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
If you're renting, I would recommend the Ealing or Hammersmith areas. You'll get easy access to Holborn on the Piccadilly or Central lines. It's much nicer out west than south/north/east IMHO.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
bhaexpress said:
Simple answer, Don't ! You're better off comuting. Anywhere decent will decent will cost you an arm and two legs. Anywhere else will be a shithole.

Don't believe anything Dwayne says either.

belive him hes talking sense !!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
my advice . . . .dont . .. its a shit hole, unless your earning well in eccess of 100k PA and you can afford to avoid the riff-raff :nono:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I live up Holloway Road and rent is pretty cheap. Its a 15 minute tube journey to Holborn or a 25 minute cycle. All the pubs show premiership football at 3pm and they are generally all open until 2am. Its not a fancy area, but its pretty safe (i've not had any trouble). Its all Arsenal round there, but there's a decent atmos.
I only really know North London. I love it. Camden and Islington are not far away for ok nights out too and some alright music venues.

I don't earn much at all and i have a good time.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
As CTS saviour said some areas of Peckham are actually quite good. Cheap as well. Trains to Victoria and London Bridge take under 15 mins. Just avoid anywhere on the Northern Line at all costs. Commuting is painfully depressing.:angry:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Meade's Ball has the right idea.

North London - on the Piccadilly Line.

I come in to Holborn from Barnet, by car to Arnos Grove then by Tube, less than an hour door to door.

Robyn

Oct 8, 2003
London
If you're a brighton native then you could stay south of the river. That way you'll have an easy and quick route back down for games.

You could do Clapham, Balham, Streatham (SW16 17 codes) all have overground rail and good buses into town which can be a god send when the tube drivers decide to walk out or they decide to shut your tube station for 3 weeks in the run up to christmas of all bloody times coz of asbestos.

Streatham isn't to bad and a lot cheaper than Clapham and Balham but like most areas you have to be selective!!

Get the loot and then you'll get an idea on prices for areas etc.

However Bhaexpress has a point.....it could be cheaper (and on very bad days quicker) to commute.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Too late for my "don't move to London or get a job there, it's a festering hellhole" line, so the Peckham suggestions sound good to me. Bit near Selhurst for my liking, but that can't really be helped.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Unless you work on the doorstep, travelling across town can take longer than commuting, and that's on a motorbike. If your work is near a mainline or tube I suggest commute.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If you can afford it, go for Battersea, SW11. Very good access to Central London from Clapham Junction, and back to Sussex, East, West or Brighton, lovely area with some cracking restaurants, though the pubs tend to be yuppie places. Peckham is not really Palace territory, more Millwall. If you choose Peckham, choose south of the High Street. North is where the estates are that they are knocking down.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Peckham Rye - Dulwich end. Queens Road Peckham is what they call a hole. Streatham, Balham, Clapham, Battersea are all good. Quite expensive though. Ive heard Croydon is lovely:lol:

Dandyman

In London village.
Meade's_Ball said:
I live up Holloway Road and rent is pretty cheap. Its a 15 minute tube journey to Holborn or a 25 minute cycle. All the pubs show premiership football at 3pm and they are generally all open until 2am. Its not a fancy area, but its pretty safe (i've not had any trouble). Its all Arsenal round there, but there's a decent atmos.
I only really know North London. I love it. Camden and Islington are not far away for ok nights out too and some alright music venues.

I don't earn much at all and i have a good time.
)
I'd second that. I 'm a few miles further north than MB, N8 - land of 1000 kebabs;)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
MikeySmall said:
Just avoid anywhere on the Northern Line at all costs. Commuting is painfully depressing.:angry:

I did Balham to the West End - 30 mins on the Northern Line - for over four years.

Couldn't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't that bad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wozza said:
I did Balham to the West End - 30 mins on the Northern Line - for over four years.

Couldn't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't that bad.

I agree. South Wimbledon to Bank for 4 years, 50 minutes, guranteed seat and really not that bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here