Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius allegedly kills his girlfriend - reports

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bail hearing has started at around about the same time as Reeva's funeral. Media blackout at funeral I believe, but family will hold press conference later apparently.

Following on twitter so very patchy, but gist of hearing appears to be:

Prosecutor says Pistorius put on prosthetic legs and walked 7 metres before firing through the locked bathroom door. He then broke the door down and carried her downstairs. Prosecutor argues that this is premeditation. No mention of bloodied cricket bat. "I walk seven metres, I see a bathroom door, I shoot... The motive is to kill." They argue that there is no evidence to support his theory of there being a burglar in the house.

Defence council says that there were problems in the relationship - she did not want him anymore and told friends that she was scared. They are surprised that the state have not put this into evidence (for opposing bail)
OP is going to detail his version of what happened that night in a affidavit.
Defence says that the house was unlocked, but living in these secure estates gives a false sense of security and there are murders at these places all the time! Evidently there are many cases of husbands shooting wives/children thinking that they are burglars! This is therefore not premeditated.
They also say that "there may have been an argument earlier" but this is no proof of murder.

Prosecutor: having heard defence's version of events, he is even more convinced that it was premeditated! It's not like he woke up with someone at his bedside and he reacted. That is not premeditated. The motive now is "I want to kill". I see a closed door and I shoot. I want to kill, I don't care.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
On being asked about OP carrying Reeva downstairs- Prosec; 'It was pre-planned. If he felt bad after, that's something else'
Pre-plan doesn't means months, weeks or hours.
Why didn't #Pistorius look for his girlfriend if he suspected a burglar, prosecutor asks.
#ReevaStaankamp locked that toilet door for a purpose. We will get to that purpose.
Prosecutor: You don't fire four shots into a small toilet just to scare someone. It was a planned killing.
The state focusing now on why the door was locked, suggesting she locked it for a purpose. Using the word 'horrific'.
prosecution also questions why Pistorius carried dying #Reeva Steemkamp downstairs after breaking down the door to get to her

Legal teams arguing over what constitutes pre-planned. Defence says walking to a bathroom cannot be seen as pre-planned
Prosecutor. The murder was intended and planned until the moment he shot her. Then perhaps he felt bad about it.
Defence arguing there is something between spontaneous and premeditated.
Defence also questioning how Prosec know that OP put on his legs before walking to the bathroom

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Magistrate concludes that he cannot rule out premeditation. Therefore this is a "Schedule 6 offence", the most serious, which makes the possibility of bail much harder. OP is crying again, apparently.[/FONT]

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Actual Bail application will start in a moment. Commentators are saying that he would have to show really exceptional circumstances to be granted bail. If denied, he could be in jail for months before trial.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
My wife has been to a few prisons in SA and her instant response was that OP must be a huge suicide risk now as not many can survive in prison and the prospect on being sent down must be awful.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
My wife has been to a few prisons in SA and her instant response was that OP must be a huge suicide risk now as not many can survive in prison and the prospect on being sent down must be awful.

That has crossed my mind too. What was your wife doing?

- - - Updated - - -

That has crossed my mind too. What was your wife doing?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Defence now reading out an affidavit from OP.

Says he does not understand why he has been charged with murder as he did not mean to kill her. Has no intention of relocating to another country as he loves SA. Has properties here worth R7m in total. Earns over R5m a year, has cash investment of over R1m. Says nothing can be further from the truth that he planned to kill his girlfriend.

Spent evening at home, by 10pm Reeva was doing Yoga and he had taken his legs off whilst watching TV. They were deeply in love. At end of evening they got into bed. They could not be happier.

Proceedings halted as OP is utterly distraught apparently.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Magistrate urges OP to compose himself and will give him a few minutes. Which is a blow as I have got to go and get the kids from school in a minute.

You can follow @ewnreporter, [MENTION=17609]Alex[/MENTION]crawfordsky or [MENTION=26685]Smith[/MENTION]inafrica if you are interested - makes Twitter worthwhile actually!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
He got up in night to close sliding door (without his legs on he says) and he heard someone in bathroom. Screamed at them thinking it was an intruder, got his gun and shot through the door. Thought Reeva was in bed. When he realised she was not in bed, he kicked down door. She died in his arms.

Is not going to flee, did not flee the scene afterwards and is willing to give up his passports.

Says he has been victim of crime before, has had death threats and is not a violent person. Felt vulnerable without his legs on.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
wife was interviewing inmates in the prisons around j'burg as part of her psychology training. Didn't sound like the most fun to have when your a young woman!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He got up in night to close sliding door (without his legs on he says) and he heard someone in bathroom. Screamed at them thinking it was an intruder, got his gun and shot through the door. Thought Reeva was in bed. When he realised she was not in bed, he kicked down door. She died in his arms.

joking, but serious, how does a man with no legs kick down a bathroom door?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You've got to ask the question - even if his story is true and he did believe it was a burgler, would you not say something first before shooting someone you can't see 4 times through a door?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here