Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic empty seats

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
He's too late but putting all the corporates on the same side as the main cameras would stop the issue being highlighted in every shot which is causing more of an issue than it is

That's a good point. At the basketball yesterday, the cameras were on the same side as the 200or so media tables and the dignitaries such as the French ambassador, Michelle Obama etc. However they were all there, on time in their seats. For some reason though, the first lady didn't stay to see China v Spain.

But as you say, this is problem swimming has an issue as there are again 15k tickets and most of them are in the wings that were added to the building which are full. It's the c1000 to 2000 that are poolside that's the problem.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really? even Wembley was half empty (or full whichever way you want to look at it) for a Team GB game, well I saw many empty seats around the ground anyway. Also center court of Wimbledon half full!

I will be very interested to see the next Team GBs game on Wednesday at the Millenium Stadium, I have really tried to get tickets for this as its very local for me and its a sell out apparently, I so hope it is, I will be right pissed off if its like Wembley was last night!!

You must have left it pretty late to try. There was ample opportunity to apply for Mill Stad football tickets in the original ballot before it was known who was playing where.

After that, there was still a lot of time when it was known where GB were playing when you could simply choose tickets. I know this because I bought my tickets for this Wednesday pretty late on in the day and I had full choice of all price categories too.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Really? even Wembley was half empty (or full whichever way you want to look at it) for a Team GB game, well I saw many empty seats around the ground anyway. Also center court of Wimbledon half full!

I will be very interested to see the next Team GBs game on Wednesday at the Millenium Stadium, I have really tried to get tickets for this as its very local for me and its a sell out apparently, I so hope it is, I will be right pissed off if its like Wembley was last night!!

I've got tickets for this and was hoping it would be a sell out. On our way to Pontypool tomorrow to the in-laws before the double header at the millennium.

I was hoping for Wimbledon tickets but couldn't in the first round and then organised holiday in Devon for the remainder of Olympics but it seems tickets keep cropping up!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I've got tickets for this and was hoping it would be a sell out. On our way to Pontypool tomorrow to the in-laws before the double header at the millennium.

I was hoping for Wimbledon tickets but couldn't in the first round and then organised holiday in Devon for the remainder of Olympics but it seems tickets keep cropping up!

I have tried a few times for tickets for this game but with no luck, I tried again yesterday, i will keep trying but don't hold out much luck now.

Give my regards to Pontypool, my daughter was born there and we used to live in Cwmbran when we first moved to Wales some 27 years ago :eek:

Enjoy the game :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have tried a few times for tickets for this game but with no luck, I tried again yesterday, i will keep trying but don't hold out much luck now.

Give my regards to Pontypool, my daughter was born there and we used to live in Cwmbran when we first moved to Wales some 27 years ago :eek:

I believe there are QF tix left for the Mill Stad on Saturday - why not gamble and buy some. It might be GB or it might not. Regardless, you'll get some Olympics action...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Really? even Wembley was half empty (or full whichever way you want to look at it) for a Team GB game, well I saw many empty seats around the ground anyway.

Another throw away comment that bears no relation to reality.... I thought it was fairly full.... and was not surprised that the attendance was 85k......... so a few empties yes, but a very decent turnout for any game, let alone a pool game against UAE....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Oh - I do actually have a spare for Wednesday. It is, however, for a 2 year old. If you're able to find out if it's upgradeable, then you're welcome to have it for nothing.

(I can't be arsed with the first game, and I'm sure many will be similar, so expect a lot of empty (but sold) seats for that. I'll be in Cardiff from 6ish and can hand over the ticket then.)

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
You're all wrong. Lord (sic) Coe has told us all today that the venues are all rammed.

Reminds me of comical Ali (?) 'all of our seats are now full'

I can't Stand Seb Coe. I refuse to call him Lord. In denial about the empty seats. Ever since the 1980's when he clearly thought Ovett was a bit "common". Another Michael Heseltine in the making.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have tried many times- including this morning to get tickets and the ticket site tells lies. It was showing 30 and 40 pound tickets for various things, but when you clicked on them and tried to pay, it says " no tickets available" but there are plenty of 125 for a couple of hours of basketball etc.

A lot of the empty blocks are corporate, but we are all happy to accept corporate hospitality when offered so if you sup with the devil......

The mrs came up with a good idea....if you are not in your seat - or through the turnstile so registered, by half an hour before the event, those seats should be given away to people milling around the stadiums. Bit harsh if you are delayed, but there you are

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh - I do actually have a spare for Wednesday. It is, however, for a 2 year old. If you're able to find out if it's upgradeable, then you're welcome to have it for nothing.

(I can't be arsed with the first game, and I'm sure many will be similar, so expect a lot of empty (but sold) seats for that. I'll be in Cardiff from 6ish and can hand over the ticket then.)

Sounds like you should be OK to just pay some sort of upgrade. From the ticket Ts&Cs. Let me know...

LOCOG may set special Ticket prices, including Tickets for children under the age of 16 (as at 27 July 2012 for the Olympic Games or 29 August 2012 for the Paralympic Games) and/or persons over the age of 60 (as at 27 July 2012 or 29 August for the Paralympic Games). Ticket Holders taking advantage of such special Ticket prices may be required, upon request by any official, steward or employee of LOCOG or the Venue, to provide proof of his or her age with appropriate Photographic Identification. Failure to produce proof of age may result in a Person being refused entry, being asked to leave a Venue or being asked to pay the full adult price of the Ticket.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

Cheers, I will find out if it is upgradeable, will get back to you :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
You must have left it pretty late to try.

Yes I did leave it late.

I believe there are QF tix left for the Mill Stad on Saturday - why not gamble and buy some.

I can't go on saturday I have family coming over from malaysia to stay with us.

Another throw away comment that bears no relation to reality.... I thought it was fairly full.... and was not surprised that the attendance was 85k......... so a few empties yes, but a very decent turnout for any game, let alone a pool game against UAE....

Please accept my apologies, you are right, i was getting mixed up with games, sorry.

Sounds like you should be OK to just pay some sort of upgrade. From the ticket Ts&Cs. Let me know...

LOCOG may set special Ticket prices, including Tickets for children under the age of 16 (as at 27 July 2012 for the Olympic Games or 29 August 2012 for the Paralympic Games) and/or persons over the age of 60 (as at 27 July 2012 or 29 August for the Paralympic Games). Ticket Holders taking advantage of such special Ticket prices may be required, upon request by any official, steward or employee of LOCOG or the Venue, to provide proof of his or her age with appropriate Photographic Identification. Failure to produce proof of age may result in a Person being refused entry, being asked to leave a Venue or being asked to pay the full adult price of the Ticket.

I havnt checked anything yet but happy to go on those rules above, Im only 16ish miles from Cardiff so will take the chance and meet up if thats still on? have you still got my mobile number? if not i will PM you it, Cheers

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
He's too late but putting all the corporates on the same side as the main cameras would stop the issue being highlighted in every shot which is causing more of an issue than it is

It's not the corporate seats that aren't being taken up (I had a load of people from Visa close to me on Saturday when I was at the handball) it's the accredited areas i.e. athletes, coaches, IOC, foreign Olympic associations, and the Media.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

I have just spent quite a long time on the customer service ticket line only to listen to lots of messages (non which helped me!) and then it disconnected, I will keep trying to find out if its ok to upgrade, but as i said im happy to take the chance, thanks.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

You could try PMing my brother, piltdown man, as he has a couple of tickets and wasn't sure if he was going or not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have just spent quite a long time on the customer service ticket line only to listen to lots of messages (non which helped me!) and then it disconnected, I will keep trying to find out if its ok to upgrade, but as i said im happy to take the chance, thanks.

It's yours then. Hoping to be on the 16:54 out of Temple Meads that should have us at Cardiff Central at 17:43.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
It's yours then. Hoping to be on the 16:54 out of Temple Meads that should have us at Cardiff Central at 17:43.

Excellant, i will train it in from Bridgend so I can have a few beers or ten! will arrange the train times to coincide with yours arriving at Cardiff, I will PM you my mobile number as well :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't Stand Seb Coe. I refuse to call him Lord. In denial about the empty seats. Ever since the 1980's when he clearly thought Ovett was a bit "common". Another Michael Heseltine in the making.

Totally agree. I was especially pissed off seeing the huge gaps at the swimming, equestrian and gymnastics, as those were the top three choices of my eldest daughter and despite spending hours/days on the process we missed out.

Coe isn't portrayed as a stupid man, but if he thinks someone in our position (and there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions) is going to be placated by seeing some troops handed some free empty seats for the afternoon (Why?) then he is a total fuckwit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here