Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oh no, Ken Bruce quits Radio 2!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The decision to move Ken Bruce on early, seemingly at the same time as Vernon Kaye is announced as his successor, seems to me, orchestrated to give Kaye a run up to maybe persuading the present Ken Bruce audience to stick with Radio 2 rather than decamp en masse to GHR.
Personally, I’ve already left, more through Radio 2s music playlist now, than any of the personalities. I don’t like a lot , probably the majority of the music they play now.
Also, I’m not convinced the present policy of chasing younger listeners at the expense of older listeners will pay off. My kids, all in the new audience target age range, don’t listen to the radio, except my eldest, who only listens to Radio X or Radio 6, if he listens at all.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Hate the way the BBC do this, force younger presenters on us, that are just no good. They're started to do it a few years ago on 5 Live with Nick Bright, he's terrible.

Vernon May as a replacement for KB is embarrassing. Smart tactic from the beeb though, like someone else said, KB won't be starting GHR until the end of March, so effectively placing him on gardening leave and hope that the listeners will stay.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The decision to move Ken Bruce on early, seemingly at the same time as Vernon Kaye is announced as his successor, seems to me, orchestrated to give Kaye a run up to maybe persuading the present Ken Bruce audience to stick with Radio 2 rather than decamp en masse to GHR.
Personally, I’ve already left, more through Radio 2s music playlist now, than any of the personalities. I don’t like a lot , probably the majority of the music they play now.
Also, I’m not convinced the present policy of chasing younger listeners at the expense of older listeners will pay off. My kids, all in the new audience target age range, don’t listen to the radio, except my eldest, who only listens to Radio X or Radio 6, if he listens at all.
I don’t know when Ken’s new show starts but Kaye isn’t starting until April apparently, Gary Davies is covering the slot in the meantime.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I may be completely wrong but I THINK as most DJ's are freelance, they can take 'their' show to a station.

I know many hugely dislike him but I listen to Moyles on Radio X each morning. He took/often references a lot of concepts/features that were present/similar on his old R1 show.

I'm pretty sure Chris Evans' show on Virgin has many many similarities to his R2 show.
I suppose a " Star " name DJ always pulls a few listeners along no matter where they decant to. However,I would not know where to find Evans and Moyle on my car stereo and I'm not going to start looking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Obviously they had to do it.

Could GHR just go ahead and start Ken a week Monday? The BBC don't want him, so I don't think they've got much cause to argue him working elsewhere. Obviously he wouldn't be paid by the BBC for that time, but it would be a good move for GHR.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Noel Edmunds may need a pension top up. He's R2 in clubs.

Mike Read is busy . . . The holes not deep enough to drop him just yet.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Obviously they had to do it.

Could GHR just go ahead and start Ken a week Monday? The BBC don't want him, so I don't think they've got much cause to argue him working elsewhere. Obviously he wouldn't be paid by the BBC for that time, but it would be a good move for
But the Beeb doesn't want the Ken Bruce audience to stay. It wants them to bugger off and make room for a new younger audience. Personally, I prefer a presenter who appears to know music, rather than a name from some other field of entertainment - yes Rylan, I mean you !

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hate the way the BBC do this, force younger presenters on us, that are just no good. They're started to do it a few years ago on 5 Live with Nick Bright, he's terrible.

Vernon May as a replacement for KB is embarrassing. Smart tactic from the beeb though, like someone else said, KB won't be starting GHR until the end of March, so effectively placing him on gardening leave and hope that the listeners will stay.

Attachments

• 07BA8960-C95F-4D85-97DB-C6575C29F806.jpeg
    07BA8960-C95F-4D85-97DB-C6575C29F806.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 24

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Radio 2 will be an older clone of Radio one soon. Just need Chris Moyles, Dave and Chappers, and it's the full house..🙂
That full house will never happen. Moyles and Comedy Dave had a huge falling out and haven’t spoken since.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

More to do with the fact that Ken Bruce's "name, image and voice" are all over Greatest Hits radio, according to this thread.

Have to say, if I was employing Bruce and his voice appeared on a rival station, I would have put him on gardening leave immediately.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t know when Ken’s new show starts but Kaye isn’t starting until April apparently, Gary Davies is covering the slot in the meantime.

I read today that Mr Tess won't be starting at Radio 2 until May (Daily Mirror I think)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here