Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official Train Commuters Discussion Thread ****

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My solution for the time-being would be to reduce the number of Gatwick Express trains to 2 an hour - it's not really a business airport so doesn't need the same level of service as Heathrow.

The problem with that idea is that when a train breaks down (and the GE ones do with remarkable regularity), there's an extra half an hour to wait for the next train, if you throw in some signalling problems and people could be stuck at Victoria for ages

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The problem with that idea is that when a train breaks down (and the GE ones do with remarkable regularity), there's an extra half an hour to wait for the next train, if you throw in some signalling problems and people could be stuck at Victoria for ages

Not sure how much it will help but in theory each hourly and half hourly Gatwick Express service will go from Vic-LGW-Btn from December with the 15 and 45 doing the Vic-LGW route. And from next year sometime the unreliable old 442 stock will be replaced with brand new trains which should, in time, be more reliable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And the prize for Britain's worst train?

Rebecca Francis, 37, aboard the 07:29, said she failed to reach work in Marylebone on time for the past three months: “It’s at least 10 minutes late on a daily basis."

Whilst acknowledging that commuting is an absolute ballache, and that the train operators ARE utterly inept, I'd be running very short on sympathy, if I were Rebecca's boss. Late for work EVERY DAY for THREE MONTHS? At some point, would she not consider that she might have to switch to the previous service?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Whilst acknowledging that commuting is an absolute ballache, and that the train operators ARE utterly inept, I'd be running very short on sympathy, if I were Rebecca's boss. Late for work EVERY DAY for THREE MONTHS? At some point, would she not consider that she might have to switch to the previous service?

Quite agree. Which is why I get the 0630 out of Brighton to make sure I'm at my desk by about 0820. It's mental the difference just a few minutes can make. Yesterday I missed the 0630 and got the 0640 instead, but by leaving Brighton just 10 minutes later, I didn't get to my desk until about 8.55 - over half an hour later than normal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite agree. Which is why I get the 0630 out of Brighton to make sure I'm at my desk by about 0820. It's mental the difference just a few minutes can make. Yesterday I missed the 0630 and got the 0640 instead, but by leaving Brighton just 10 minutes later, I didn't get to my desk until about 8.55 - over half an hour later than normal.

What time do you get up in the morning to catch a train at 06:30?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I used to get up at 5.00: the 6.30 is the one I got when I commuted. And pasty's bang on when he says that catching the next one is so much later - I got to the office about 25 minutes later if I got the 6.40

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to get up at 5.00: the 6.30 is the one I got when I commuted. And pasty's bang on when he says that catching the next one is so much later - I got to the office about 25 minutes later if I got the 6.40

I'm not sure I'd be fit for work if I had to get up at 5am

That's about the latest my wife and I used to leave when we worked for the Orange Balloon at Brentford/Greenford and is the reason we left - exhaustion. I walked to work this morning, she's trying to save Whitty's bonus with some fancy patent lawyers in Washington.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Yep, alarm goes off at 5.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
8 late this morning 5 late tonight - 13 minutes of my life I lost

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only train rant Twitter account worth following.

https://twitter.com/shitecommute

[tweet]555784242127732736[/tweet]

15xjwpx.jpg

Tony Meola's Loan Spell is the Rantosaurus Rex.

theboybilly

Not sure how much it will help but in theory each hourly and half hourly Gatwick Express service will go from Vic-LGW-Btn from December with the 15 and 45 doing the Vic-LGW route. And from next year sometime the unreliable old 442 stock will be replaced with brand new trains which should, in time, be more reliable.

I drive the things and haven't been able to get this info from either my management or my union reps, so thanks for that. That said they are leaving it a bit late for drivers to get the necessary route-learning in (Gatwick Express drivers don't go further south than Three Bridges at the moment) Given that we are short of drivers as it is I don't know quite how they are going to release drivers to learn the route to Brighton and also cover the service. I'm actually very surprised at how Southern have got away with the traincrew change at GTW for so long. If the Southern driver who takes over is held up on his previous working the train can't go any further which holds up everything behind. The only alternative is to detrain passengers and put the train in sidings at Gatwick or Three Bridges. Daft and unnecessary.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I drive the things and haven't been able to get this info from either my management or my union reps, so thanks for that. That said they are leaving it a bit late for drivers to get the necessary route-learning in (Gatwick Express drivers don't go further south than Three Bridges at the moment) Given that we are short of drivers as it is I don't know quite how they are going to release drivers to learn the route to Brighton and also cover the service. I'm actually very surprised at how Southern have got away with the traincrew change at GTW for so long. If the Southern driver who takes over is held up on his previous working the train can't go any further which holds up everything behind. The only alternative is to detrain passengers and put the train in sidings at Gatwick or Three Bridges. Daft and unnecessary.

I very much doubt anyone has thought far enough ahead to consider route learning! No doubt if it happens it will be a last minute scramble as usual. Here's the link to the consultation document: http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...ches-consultation-on-december-2015-timetable/
The pdf with all the proposed timetables is at the bottom of that link. If anyone has any strong opinions you have a month or so to let Southern know.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm actually very surprised at how Southern have got away with the traincrew change at GTW for so long. If the Southern driver who takes over is held up on his previous working the train can't go any further which holds up everything behind. The only alternative is to detrain passengers and put the train in sidings at Gatwick or Three Bridges. Daft and unnecessary.

As you're in the know on this, can I ask why there's a need to change driver at Gatwick (I speak as one who's been held up countless times while they change over)? Is it purely because GE drivers don't know the route? Is there a union issue? Is it because of liability concerns if there's an accident? Surely there must be some way round it, whatever the reason?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

She probably still gets there ahead of her London based colleagues, who in my experience are fashionable late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here