Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He was there last week too. Seemed to not have a barcode (or had forgotten it) as not listed in the results.

Yep, I clocked him too. Was trying to take it easy because of tomorrow, but still clocked sub-22.

Nerves are setting in now... pasta done, hope I get some sleep!

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Cars, Well done on the running. It's runners knee. I got it in mid January after upping mileage too quickly. same diagnosis. I had sports injury massage and was 100% in 3 days. Mine was caused by tight central quads. Runners knee can caused by a number of problems as it is the misalignment of the knee causing pain and inflammation. One £35 session would let you know where you stand or you can rest.
Interesting that mine went after buying new inners and yours with new trainers. Maybe we should have worn them in gradually?

Sounds like good advice - I will try out getting a sports massage done and see how I get on.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I did the first ever Preston Park parkrun this morning, and it was my first ever parkrun too...bloody brilliant!

It was so well organized, the whole concept is amazing and I think it will be around for a VERY long time. It was my first run since the Brighton Marathon and 5k was a nice leisurely jog. Perfect weather, 279 runners, and great to see so many people supporting the new run. The volunteers were great too...anyone else on here take part?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I did the first ever Preston Park parkrun this morning, and it was my first ever parkrun too...bloody brilliant!

It was so well organized, the whole concept is amazing and I think it will be around for a VERY long time. It was my first run since the Brighton Marathon and 5k was a nice leisurely jog. Perfect weather, 279 runners, and great to see so many people supporting the new run. The volunteers were great too...anyone else on here take part?

I did the test run on New Year's Day, but am sticking to Hove Park. It is a fantastic operation, and I can see why it is so popular and has gone global.

Good to see such a good turnout, I'm sure it will continue to grow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was a nice article about Mo Farah in the Guardian this weekend.

Inside Camp Farah: the making of marathon man Mo | Sport | The Guardian

But, at bottom of the ipad edition they reproduced a typical days training. I am always inawe of the pro long distance runners and their ability to maintain a fast pace for so long. See below for Farah's times and judge them against your own....it's mindbending. His warm up and recovery/rest pace is pretty much the same as me running at full tilt in a race. And I cannot get my head around 4:30 minute miles. That's insane. I probably wouldnt even do that if I was fired out of a cannon.

Anyway, really pleased he is stepping up to 26.2.

Warm-up
3 miles at 7min mile pace, 25 minutes of stretching and drills

Interval circuit
1600m at 4min 30sec a mile pace
400m recovery at 7min a mile pace
1200m at 3min 20sec
800m in 2min 10sec pace 400m at min a mile pace
400m in 60 seconds
3½ mile run
Repeat three times getting faster each time (last 800m was in 1.58min, the last 400m in 55.1sec) Jog to running track

Sprints and drills
Approximately a mile covered

Warm-down
3 mile run
Total distance 18 miles

One hour’s core mobility workout
Includes kettlebell swings, mountain climbers, boxing on pads, planks on swiss balls, Jane Fonda hot salsa

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I went out to run this afternoon, did 4 miles along the seafront in under 30 minutes...but man was it hot, and of course very crowded...going to start getting back into medium/longer distances with an eye towards April already...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was talking to some guys at parkrun the other week about running to your resting heart rate (effectively running slower to run longer). Anyone else got any experience of this? I've not gone to this level of accuracy, but I've given it a go by slowing down to running 9:00 miles and, while it seems a bit slow to begin with, I think I'm getting used to it.

But what I really wanted to know was how much difference it makes in longer runs. Seems to go against the supposed benefits of fartlek and HIIT, but are they just designed to make you go faster over shorter distances?

Confused of Shoreham-by-Sea.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Talking of Parkrun, I did my first one last week and second one on Saturday. First one was 23.54 and the second one I was convinced I was much faster but did in about 24.20. I was however lapped before I did my first full lap by the lead runner who set a course record in 14.28, which is one minute and one second behind Mo Farah's Moscow 13 World Championship time. I was also beaten by a terrier dog. Having hung up my marathon shoes I am planning to go shorter and quicker so the Fratlek training is for me!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was talking to some guys at parkrun the other week about running to your resting heart rate (effectively running slower to run longer). Anyone else got any experience of this? I've not gone to this level of accuracy, but I've given it a go by slowing down to running 9:00 miles and, while it seems a bit slow to begin with, I think I'm getting used to it.

But what I really wanted to know was how much difference it makes in longer runs. Seems to go against the supposed benefits of fartlek and HIIT, but are they just designed to make you go faster over shorter distances?

This is for doing long slow runs in between your harder sessions. You still do the fartlek, hills, intervals etc. 3 times a week but do very easy long mileage in between and make sure that your heart rate doesn't go a certain %age above your resting rate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Out of interest what speed you sowing down from?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is for doing long slow runs in between your harder sessions. You still do the fartlek, hills, intervals etc. 3 times a week but do very easy long mileage in between and make sure that your heart rate doesn't go a certain %age above your resting rate.

Ah, ok. The way these guys were talking, they ran at that pace every time. What you describe makes more sense.

Down from about 7:45/8 min miles, Herr T.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You mean working heart rate or max heart rate. Long runs are done at 70-75% of either you use. This promotes the slow twitch muscles for endurance. Even top athletes train at this level for over 50% of a training plan. It's not possible to move at resting heart rate let alone run! Hence the word resting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You mean working heart rate or max heart rate. Long runs are done at 70-75% of either you use. This promotes the slow twitch muscles for endurance. Even top athletes train at this level for over 50% of a training plan. It's not possible to move at resting heart rate let alone run! Hence the word resting.

No fair point - that makes more sense.

Thanks all.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've used the 70% of Maximum Working Heart rate principle both for long runs & recovery runs, but also when coming back from injury have used it to build a base.
For the first 4 weeks or so I'll run all my runs at 70% WHR, after a couple of weeks my pace at that exertion will get faster, then I know I can start putting back the longer runs and the effort sessions.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
Just seen this thread and now spent about an hour reading some of it. I am 46 useless at all sports and apart from cycling to work not done any exercise since giving up badminton about 8 years ago. Started running back in March after my work offered some coaching sessions. Now absolutely love it and am running 4 times a week, distances between 6 and 10K. Can do roughly 10K in an hour, I say roughly as I don't use a precise measuring device. Have been a moderately heavy drinker for the last 20 years. My first race will be in Amsterdam de Bos 10K on 14 Sep. last week I had a complete loss of energy but seems to be coming back. Really looking forwards to it but nervous already.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just seen this thread and now spent about an hour reading some of it. I am 46 useless at all sports and apart from cycling to work not done any exercise since giving up badminton about 8 years ago. Started running back in March after my work offered some coaching sessions. Now absolutely love it and am running 4 times a week, distances between 6 and 10K. Can do roughly 10K in an hour, I say roughly as I don't use a precise measuring device. Have been a moderately heavy drinker for the last 20 years. My first race will be in Amsterdam de Bos 10K on 14 Sep. last week I had a complete loss of energy but seems to be coming back. Really looking forwards to it but nervous already.

Good luck with the race. I dropped a few pounds recently by doing more and eating less and decided to try out a 10k run. Registered for the Hospice in the Weald 10k in Tunbridge Wells and it's suddenly 10 days away (15th) - gulp. Haven't done any running training but have been doing spin so thought I ought to try the course. It's a beautiful but hilly run which I managed in 61 minutes. Was very pleased that I didn't have to stop/walk at any point but would obviously like to go a bit faster. There was a little left in the tank, so I reckon I could improve with a little more pace on the flat and using the down hills more sensibly. Ramble over - now my question.

Question - I'm getting a bit anxious about the start. I think they take the elite runners to the front but the rest is up to me. Looking at last years times, I'll be roughly in the middle. So do I stand roughly in the middle as people queue to start? Will people at the back mind if I'm pushing in? What's the etiquette in these things? Also, does shuffling along at the start slow you down (I'd like to crack 60 minutes)?

Any advice gratefully received.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've had a look and it's chip timing, so start where you like. Starting the first 400m slightly slowly is no problem and the benefits of warming up will outweigh a few seconds lost. If time is important to you muscle up to the front for the start.

This will make you laugh.

This Sunday will be my 68th full marathon at Denbies Vinyard, Dorking. The event organisers encourage runners to run in fancy dress, so yours truly went out to buy a superman outfit. Thought I would try it on & go for a cheeky 4 mile run a couple of days ago, to check it would be ok to run in. Not wishing to embarrass myself, I drove to Jack n Jill windmills several miles from my home, at the end of the day, thinking I could go for a quick run (out & back) without being noticed.

Within two minutes of setting off, I bumped into my neighbour (two doors), SO EMBARRASSING.
Then on the way back, bumped into her again. Within an hour of getting back home, it was splattered on her Facebook account!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports