Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks! Will do! Getting very excited but I think the nerves are just creeping in because I've got too much time this week to sit around and worry about it!

That pretty much sums up my feelings - started to feel a little nervous coming down the A23 last night seeing the signs for "delays on 14th" and it feels strange not doing a long run, and not running much. I, too, am aiming for a decent time - closer to 3:30 than 4:00 I'd be happy with - between 3:30 and 3:40 I'd be delighted.

Carbs and light runs this week, then before the big day. Anybody got any must do/must not do tips for pre-marathon week? It's been so long since last time, all I remember then is eating pasta every day.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
The days are really crawling by now, can't wait to get this thing started!

Out of curiosity, how many of you listen to music during the big race itself? During the first Brighton Marathon I didn't, but during the 2nd and 3rd I did...thoughts and opinions please!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Dress rehearsal. Sitting here wearing race kit ready for 6 miles with just 2 miles at race pace. 7.18 thanks for reminder of hill around Preston park. I will conserve energy here by not overtaking and generally warming up. Maybe as slow as 9.30 to 10.00.
Then from mile 2 I hope to do the following: Up to mile 15 at 9'10" to 9'15"
Up to mile 20 at 8'45" to 8'55"
Up to mile 23 continue as above or push a little
Last 3.2 miles give it what I can

Thats is the master plan. I will break 4 hours and hopefully run home at my fastest pace of the day. Overall time 20 minutes slower than wanted but missed 4 weeks in March to injury, Harveys and a continuing addiction to jelly babies. I will write this on my hand for the day. Luckily for me no pressure as I already will not reach my target. Day will be an enjoyable extra long run.

Picking up race stuff on Friday to miss the masses on Saturday. Good luck everyone.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting article here about the build-up to the Marathon day. Unfortunately I won't be following it, having done 10 miles this morning. I've done nothing since Saturday and was dying to get back out there.

Reload to race - Racing - Runner's World

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The days are really crawling by now, can't wait to get this thing started!

Out of curiosity, how many of you listen to music during the big race itself? During the first Brighton Marathon I didn't, but during the 2nd and 3rd I did...thoughts and opinions please!

I only ever listen to music during long easy runs on my own as you don't need to concentrate. I'd never put earphones in during a race; there's no way you can concentrate on running a steady pace. Also you lose the atmosphere and support that you get in bigger races; you may as well be running on your own.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Suppose you'll all be preparing for tomorrow's marathon - but did anyone else see Mark McGhee on this morning's Hove Parkrun? Was wearing his Scotland trackie bottoms, but seemed to go fairly unnoticed by the majority. Not sure what time he clocked in at - would guess around the late 20s.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
nsc.jpg

Ok gang, final few posts on here before the big day...

I''ve taken the advice of a lot of you, and will be going out at an even 9 minute a mile pace rather than my original plan of 8s. Everyone who knows anything about running seems to be advising me of this, especially some of the "coaches" at the Marathon exhibition yesterday. I've convinced myself its the right plan, just worried that it doesn't leave any room for movement to get a sub 4 time...worried about fatigue and running the last few miles slower than 9s.

Trying to think positive, it means I should have more left in my legs for the final push, I shouldn't have to do any walking at all this year, I'll have the mental advantages of negative splits AND passing tiring runners in the last third of the course, and my best training run was a 21 mile run at 8 minutes per mile. Going to take my iPod along and start with it, but may or may not stick with it depending on how I feel. Got my cliff bar for mile 5 and two gels for miles 10 and 15. Really excited and basically can't wait to have a crack at it tomorrow, but very nervous...guess I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to get round evenly in 9s and achieve appx 3 hours 55 minutes. My PB was last years effort, of 4.08...but that included a bit of off/on walking in the last 7 or 8 miles.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice and support, good luck to those who are running tomorrow and if you see me, shout some encouragement!

Owen

Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | Brighton Marathon 2013

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Suppose you'll all be preparing for tomorrow's marathon - but did anyone else see Mark McGhee on this morning's Hove Parkrun? Was wearing his Scotland trackie bottoms, but seemed to go fairly unnoticed by the majority. Not sure what time he clocked in at - would guess around the late 20s.

He was there last week too. Seemed to not have a barcode (or had forgotten it) as not listed in the results.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
View attachment 41528

I''ve taken the advice of a lot of you, and will be going out at an even 9 minute a mile pace rather than my original plan of 8s. Everyone who knows anything about running seems to be advising me of this, especially some of the "coaches" at the Marathon exhibition yesterday. I've convinced myself its the right plan, just worried that it doesn't leave any room for movement to get a sub 4 time...worried about fatigue and running the last few miles slower than 9s.

Trying to think positive, it means I should have more left in my legs for the final push, I shouldn't have to do any walking at all this year, I'll have the mental advantages of negative splits AND passing tiring runners in the last third of the course, and my best training run was a 21 mile run at 8 minutes per mile. Going to take my iPod along and start with it, but may or may not stick with it depending on how I feel. Got my cliff bar for mile 5 and two gels for miles 10 and 15. Really excited and basically can't wait to have a crack at it tomorrow, but very nervous...guess I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to get round evenly in 9s and achieve appx 3 hours 55 minutes. My PB was last years effort, of 4.08...but that included a bit of off/on walking in the last 7 or 8 miles.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice and support, good luck to those who are running tomorrow and if you see me, shout some encouragement!

Owen

I'd go for the 8:45 to 9:00 for first 15 miles and the see what you have left. This should be within your ability. As someone pointed out earlier the wind could be an issue. At moment forecast is for a southerly which should be fine but I have also seen BBC forecast saying South South Easterly. This means upping the pace running to power station and dropping the pace out to Rottingdean and the final miles from power station to that wonderful finish line. Feeling stressed now but hoping that's because Bolton have scored and equal on points as it stands. Enjoy the day everyone.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I'd go for the 8:45 to 9:00 for first 15 miles and the see what you have left. This should be within your ability. As someone pointed out earlier the wind could be an issue. At moment forecast is for a southerly which should be fine but I have also seen BBC forecast saying South South Easterly. This means upping the pace running to power station and dropping the pace out to Rottingdean and the final miles from power station to that wonderful finish line. Feeling stressed now but hoping that's because Bolton have scored and equal on points as it stands. Enjoy the day everyone.

If it cheers you up, Forest are losing :) thanks for the advice, will take it into account!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If it's a sub 4 hour 7:18 is after then 9 minute mile-ing will achieve this. If there is concern there is little margin for error run 3 or 4 mid-race miles at 8 to give a good buffer? He has shown he can run 20 miles at 8 so this will not be an issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 41528

Owen

Good luck!

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Good luck!

thanks, and have seen your advice above...thinking maybe 8s on miles 10-14 (if I'm feeling good at that point) as they are downhill/very flat and on the return into the city there is always a good crowd and feeling along this stretch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thanks, and have seen your advice above...thinking maybe 8s on miles 10-14 (if I'm feeling good at that point) as they are downhill/very flat and on the return into the city there is always a good crowd and feeling along this stretch.

From the times you gave earlier this is well within your ability. I always knock out some slightly quicker miles mid-race during halfs and full marathons.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
From the times you gave earlier this is well within your ability. I always knock out some slightly quicker miles mid-race during halfs and full marathons.

I agree with that. One way or the other I think 7.18 should be targeting, or at least eyeing, 3:45. Sub 4:00 is too easy an object. Not for me though. I will see.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I agree with that. One way or the other I think 7.18 should be targeting, or at least eyeing, 3:45. Sub 4:00 is too easy an object. Not for me though. I will see.

3:45 I would be over the moon, 3:50 more realistic for me to target I think...with the few quicker miles between 10-14 coming back into the city, hopefully I'll build up a buffer and be able to push at the end...would be content with anything under 4 hours though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here