Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i have my first half in Bristol next Sunday. anyone have any tips on what to eat before and night before etc? was thinking eggs and toast around 3 hours before then a Lucozade and maybe a choc bar within the last hour?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
i have my first half in Bristol next Sunday............................ then a Lucozade and maybe a choc bar within the last hour?

You're joking Shirley?

The eggs on toast is fine if that's your normal breakfast before a run.

No need to eat chocolate & sugar drinks straight before. Banana and water would be better.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
You're joking Shirley?

The eggs on toast is fine if that's your normal breakfast before a run.

No need to eat chocolate & sugar drinks straight before. Banana and water would be better.

Skip the eggs have toast and jam,agree with the banana and water.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
i have my first half in Bristol next Sunday. anyone have any tips on what to eat before and night before etc? was thinking eggs and toast around 3 hours before then a Lucozade and maybe a choc bar within the last hour?

Not as important as for marathon but I would have a decent bowl of pasta on the Friday and Saturday nights (carb loading). On the morning of the race make sure you finish your food intake at least 2 hours before race (in order for it to digest and possibly come out before race!). Much better porridge or muesli than eggs/toast as will keep more energy as you go round.

Lots of water up to 45 mins before start and also a coffee/caffeine good, then I try to avoid anything until race except the odd sip of water (don't want bladder full at start of race and peeing not always easy with long WC queues!).

On way round, you might take an energy gel at half way point, but for a half not very important (and don't introduce something you haven't tried before when running, in case it doesn't agree with you!), and take regular water at stations.

Should see you right!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Am doing Brighton marina triathlon a week on Sunday. Anyone else?

Not me, I'm afraid. Looked at the route and it looked a bit too hilly for my liking. Plus I normally run the Chestnut Tree House 10km, and that's the same day.

I'll be doing the Portsmouth tri the following week, though. First Olympic distance one for me :eek:

Good luck :thumbsup:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Not as important as for marathon but I would have a decent bowl of pasta on the Friday and Saturday nights (carb loading). On the morning of the race make sure you finish your food intake at least 2 hours before race (in order for it to digest and possibly come out before race!). Much better porridge or muesli than eggs/toast as will keep more energy as you go round.

Lots of water up to 45 mins before start and also a coffee/caffeine good, then I try to avoid anything until race except the odd sip of water (don't want bladder full at start of race and peeing not always easy with long WC queues!).

On way round, you might take an energy gel at half way point, but for a half not very important (and don't introduce something you haven't tried before when running, in case it doesn't agree with you!), and take regular water at stations.

Should see you right!

Its really a try and see thing with pre race food (i agree with the night before stuff). I found I would get dody guts with bananas and porridge etc, so I stick to black tea/coffee, toast & jam and a flapjack. But I go for eating 3 hours before the race as a minimum.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Should see you right!
cheers for the info. will be taking on a decent Pasta meal night before, just wasn't too sure on best options the morning of the race.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Any fellow NSCers joining me in the Great North Run next weekend? I thought the London marathon was too crowded so I'm not too sure what its going to be like running with 56,000 others. Probably not a PB!

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

Good luck. I'm doing the Bristol half too - my first ever race. I'll be the bloke in the Albion training top :thumbsup:

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Just seen this thread and now spent about an hour reading some of it. I am 46 useless at all sports and apart from cycling to work not done any exercise since giving up badminton about 8 years ago. Started running back in March after my work offered some coaching sessions. Now absolutely love it and am running 4 times a week, distances between 6 and 10K. Can do roughly 10K in an hour, I say roughly as I don't use a precise measuring device. Have been a moderately heavy drinker for the last 20 years. My first race will be in Amsterdam de Bos 10K on 14 Sep. last week I had a complete loss of energy but seems to be coming back. Really looking forwards to it but nervous already.

Remember, the week before any long run, you can't do enough of doing nothing!

Give your body the rest you need and you will be ready and raring to go by the 14th!!

Good luck!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Any fellow NSCers joining me in the Great North Run next weekend? I thought the London marathon was too crowded so I'm not too sure what its going to be like running with 56,000 others. Probably not a PB!

I absolutely hated my Great North run experience.

I lined up in the area designated for my finish time and found myself behind walkers in the first half mile, and having to zigzag between slower runners all the way round. Far too many people running IMHO.

My tip? Get as near to the front as you can, ignoring the time pens. Everyone else does!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I absolutely hated my Great North run experience.

I lined up in the area designated for my finish time and found myself behind walkers in the first half mile, and having to zigzag between slower runners all the way round. Far too many people running IMHO.

My tip? Get as near to the front as you can, ignoring the time pens. Everyone else does!

Think I will take your advice. Sounds a lot like London where some were walking after the first corner despite being in the sub 4.30 pen.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does anyone have any goods recommendations for headphones for running? I've got some in ear ones that have hooks that go over the ears, but they're useless especially once I start to sweat a bit and go flying out. I'm thinking I need one with a full headband to put some pressure on the speakers and hold them against/in my ears.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Did my first half marathon in Bristol today and chuffed with 1.45.05!!

was running well until around 10.5 miles well it really kicked in...by 11.5 i was struggling so need to get more miles under my belt next time

overall a great experience though and keen to keep going!

@Nail Z how did you get on? was looking out for the colours.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

was running well until around 10.5 miles well it really kicked in...by 11.5 i was struggling so need to get more miles under my belt next time

Well done - that's a great time!

I completed it in 2hrs 10. Not as quick as I wanted but learnt a few lessons for next time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done - that's a great time!

I completed it in 2hrs 10. Not as quick as I wanted but learnt a few lessons for next time.

Congratulations on your first halfs....and pleased to see you both alluding to doing more races!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here