Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
sounds very similar to my prep that I had planned out - 13 saturday morning, 9 on Tuesday, and ....

Is that 13 pints or miles on Saturday? Due to month out I only intend to enjoy the day. Luckily, as I have my brother over from LA tomorrow with wife, baby and 8 year old for a week. Then an Irish funeral on Friday followed by a 50th at the Deep Sea Anglers on Saturday. I can't wait to be In Preston Park to run away from it all.

My plan A is to run 9 to 9' 10" for half, up to 8' 50 to 9' for 20 miles and then keep it up for the last 6 miles when the race begins. Then maybe break 4 hours. 4' 10"my gut feeling though. Unfortunately I run within 200m of my house 3 times somewhere between 15 and 20 miles. Plan B is to finish even if I walk.
Did you need a wee in previous years? Where?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am doing London for the first time this year, training going well, got an 18m and a 20m training runs under the belt and will be doing another 20m on Sunday. The following Sunday I will be a steward at the Brighton Marathon (around Grand Avenue in Hove) so will look out for anybody I know. I have done some different training this year, mainly Spin classes and lots of interval training to stop running fatigue!

I am running for the Martlets Hospice and if anybody wants to sponsor me go to

Mark Raven is fundraising for The Martlets Hospice

I have a charity place so have to raise a minimum of £1,500.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
After only running once since Hastings due to injury I did the parkrun at Hove Park this morning. Good turnout including Mark Mcghee (not drinking pints of whiskey) Leg felt fine so will do a couple of gentle runs this week. Aiming for 3hrs 45m approx next week.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Cars, Well done on the running. It's runners knee. I got it in mid January after upping mileage too quickly. same diagnosis. I had sports injury massage and was 100% in 3 days. Mine was caused by tight central quads. Runners knee can caused by a number of problems as it is the misalignment of the knee causing pain and inflammation. One £35 session would let you know where you stand or you can rest.
Interesting that mine went after buying new inners and yours with new trainers. Maybe we should have worn them in gradually?

Possibly, I'm sure I got splints from upping my mileage to quickly as well. I land on my heel to, which isn't good either. Have been trying to run with my toes curled up, supposedly makes you land flat footed.

Bit of a pain the arse though trying to do it while on long runs, has helped though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry I meant that reply for RickofBHAFC. I got my quotes mixed up.
Did park run l yesterday in slowest time ever 241 and 26" 30secs. But still ran too fast for next weeks planned pace. 10 pints later and a 12 miler morning after has left me feeling shagged rather than raring to go for next week.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Did my first significant hilly race today. A 10km climbing 200 metres in around 4km. Was really hard work, hence my time of 44m. Learnt a lot in those three quarters of an hour!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This time next week it will all be over. I can't wait. I just wish I had a fast forward button to get me to that point in time.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
This time next week it will all be over. I can't wait. I just wish I had a fast forward button to get me to that point in time.

me too! I went to Preston Park this morning and practiced the first mile a few times over, forgot how steep the hill is there...then simulated the first 3 miles of the Marathon, getting to the pavillion in appx 25 minutes...starting to get really nervous as I've never run for a time or used splits before, really worried I won't be able to keep up to the pace I set myself!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
me too! I went to Preston Park this morning and practiced the first mile a few times over, forgot how steep the hill is there...then simulated the first 3 miles of the Marathon, getting to the pavillion in appx 25 minutes...starting to get really nervous as I've never run for a time or used splits before, really worried I won't be able to keep up to the pace I set myself!

What's the furthest you've run so far?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Good Luck. I'm giving Brighton a miss this year having done the last two and doing London instead. I'm a week behind you so had my last long run today (17 miles) and for what seems like the first time since I started training it wasn't freezing!

I think this will be my third and last one.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good Luck. I'm giving Brighton a miss this year having done the last two and doing London instead. I'm a week behind you so had my last long run today (17 miles) and for what seems like the first time since I started training it wasn't freezing!

I think this will be my third and last one.

I said my first one would be my last one. And then I decided to have another go this year.

Right now, this feels like a bad, bad idea. What was I THINKING? :lolol:

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
What's the furthest you've run so far?

21 miles...I'll be fine getting around as I've done the last 3 years Marathons, but this year I'm actually running to do around 8 minutes a mile...after running the 3 miles this morning, I was a bit behind but think I can attribute that to A) the massive hill, and B) having run 13 miles yesterday

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's like childbirth! My wife said you forget the pain otherwise you would never have another one.

I completely understand that. The fun and atmosphere of the day makes you forget about all the crappy long, lonely training runs.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
21 miles this morning, NDV marathon 5th May. Poor planning given last game of the season 4th May. Best of luck to all you Brighton Marathoners and London also.

Happy Running.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
21 miles...I'll be fine getting around as I've done the last 3 years Marathons, but this year I'm actually running to do around 8 minutes a mile...after running the 3 miles this morning, I was a bit behind but think I can attribute that to A) the massive hill, and B) having run 13 miles yesterday

Okay. If I have remembered correctly you have run fairly long distances at 8 minute miles right? Anyway, I would not worry about being a little off especially given the hill.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Just a drop of advice needed please, if anyone has had a similar experience

I was a keen (overweight) runner for about 16 months, building up to comfortable 10k's, then damaged my left ankle/lower leg at the end of last June. I finally saw an orthopaedic consultant a couple of weeks ago, where she asked me a few questions, had a feel of the affected area, and got me to stand on tiptoe on both feet. She then said she wasn't going to operate, but was going to refer me for physio, and see me again in four months, when she *might* scan/x-ray it...

Basically, I slipped while walking on wet chalk, and managed to pull my calf muscle, sprain my ankle, and chip the very bottom tip of my fibula (narrower of the two lower leg bones) all in one go! OUCH! I deffo can't run on it, as have had a little go, and it really hurts after 100 metres, but can walk 10k's repeatedly with no probs...

So my query is does this sound like normal NHS procedure, and how effective will physio be on this sort of injury? I ask, as I can't see manipulation of the area having any beneficial effect if there is ligament or bone damage?

Thanks for reading

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Okay. If I have remembered correctly you have run fairly long distances at 8 minute miles right? Anyway, I would not worry about being a little off especially given the hill.

yep good memory...I should be fine, I might not start off at quite 8 minutes to the mile but I will be there, or there abouts....as long as I manage 9 then I will be ok

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yep good memory...I should be fine, I might not start off at quite 8 minutes to the mile but I will be there, or there abouts....as long as I manage 9 then I will be ok

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports