Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Has anybody got any thoughts on alcohol - just about to pour my second glass of wine. I do not drink Mon-Thur but usually have 2pints + 2 glasses of wine Fri Sat Sun. Do you think it makes a difference for a 4hr runner ?
Will try and lay off week before although have a few reunions with Uni mates next week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thanks to everyone for the advice...will think very carefully about running down the middle of the roads

Just to clarify whilst you run down the centre for long stretches you still need to cut the corners/run close to the corners to take a shorter distance.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Just to clarify whilst you run down the centre for long stretches you still need to cut the corners/run close to the corners to take a shorter distance.

gotcha :thumbsup:

when do you start tapering down your training? how much running do you do in the week leading up to the Marathon?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Has anybody got any thoughts on alcohol - just about to pour my second glass of wine. I do not drink Mon-Thur but usually have 2pints + 2 glasses of wine Fri Sat Sun. Do you think it makes a difference for a 4hr runner ?
Will try and lay off week before although have a few reunions with Uni mates next week.

I try to lay off a little building up to a race but to be honest I don't think it makes much difference. I wouldn't recommend a session the night before but otherwise you should be fine.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
middle of the road has the least camber?? Over 26 miles running on the camber leads to a large imbalance and poses an injury risk such as IBS (not bowel but band). I suppose there would be a time addition over the thousands of steps taken.

I am off the drink till the marathon except 8 pints of Harveys before and after the Leicester game. Maybe a glass of wine night before. It certainly makes a difference at 53.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
middle of the road has the least camber?? Over 26 miles running on the camber leads to a large imbalance and poses an injury risk such as IBS (not bowel but band). I suppose there would be a time addition over the thousands of steps taken.

This is the point I was trying to make. If you run nearer the gutter then you will generally run on a slight angle as the road slopes into the gutter. Running on the ridge of the road is better. And entering turns from the middle of the road is less strenuous as there is less of an angle. I read this theory many years ago and it has served me well, this is all. I could be wrong?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

when do you start tapering down your training? how much running do you do in the week leading up to the Marathon?

Mine generally starts to wind down 3 weeks before. From memory typically my long runs are 18 miles two weeks before the race, 12 the Sunday before and the week before is 5 days of very short and generally light runs, one will be a tempo run, but little more than this. You just need to tick over for the last few weeks as all the milage will be in the bank by now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oh, and good luck!

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Oh, and good luck!

Thanks!

Did 9.2 tonight in an hour and 15 minutes...kept running at my 8 miles a minute and felt great, and that was without taking any fuel on board or anything...so going to stick with 8 minutes per mile for the first 17 on the big day and see how it goes. If after the first few miles I feel I need to adapt it, I'll switch to 9 minutes per mile. Going to try and have a few flexible options depending on conditions, and how I feel when I get to the pavillion.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Thanks!

Did 9.2 tonight in an hour and 15 minutes...kept running at my 8 miles a minute and felt great, and that was without taking any fuel on board or anything...so going to stick with 8 minutes per mile for the first 17 on the big day and see how it goes. If after the first few miles I feel I need to adapt it, I'll switch to 9 minutes per mile. Going to try and have a few flexible options depending on conditions, and how I feel when I get to the pavillion.

Bloody hell man that's impressive!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Negligible effect. Just don't get smashed the night before a race or a planned long run.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having had two grim runs at the weekend (19 miles & 8 miles), both of which felt horrendous, I went out tonight for a cheeky 6 miles just to blow the cobwebs off, and it felt great. I don't really get how runs can feel so different, but I feel really encouraged just from that one short run, and next weekend's 20 doesn't seem nearly so daunting now. Tonight for the first time in ages I just seemed to zone out (normally find that quite difficult to do) and it flew by. Perhaps the impact of donating blood last week has worn off. Very relieved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having had two grim runs at the weekend (19 miles & 8 miles), both of which felt horrendous, I went out tonight for a cheeky 6 miles just to blow the cobwebs off, and it felt great. I don't really get how runs can feel so different, but I feel really encouraged just from that one short run, and next weekend's 20 doesn't seem nearly so daunting now. Tonight for the first time in ages I just seemed to zone out (normally find that quite difficult to do) and it flew by. Perhaps the impact of donating blood last week has worn off. Very relieved.

I had the opposite this morning. Struggled doing 7.5 miles of hills after I had breezed through 16 miles on Sunday? Very odd. Nice to see the sun out today, hopefully it won't be hat, 2xgloves and two tops on 14th as it was this morning...

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Having run almost 350 miles in 2013 with no injuries at all I appear to be suffering from shinsplints or at least very painful shins. I'm taking a few days off and hoping for the best.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having run almost 350 miles in 2013 with no injuries at all I appear to be suffering from shinsplints or at least very painful shins. I'm taking a few days off and hoping for the best.

If you still have them and its definitely shinsplints, £35 will get rid of them. I can give you the number or check out Coral's gym website.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks!

Armchair critic here. That is not tapering. Be patient. Hold back for the big day. You have the ability for under 3' 45". Don't blow it now. Run at 9 minutes on weekend long run spend a couple of days in next 10 doing careful speed intervals eg 3x1 mile at 5k pace with jogging recovery. Last week do 5-7 miles on Wednesday with only 2 of them at marathon pace-8min miles. HOLD back!

With your legs and my training programme we would break 3 and a 1/2 hours. Good luck and maybe see you at the start. I am in the 3.30 to 4.00 wave and will be wearing my Crystal Palace shirt with Glen Murray on the back. Not really but that would stop you walking....

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Armchair critic here. That is not tapering. Be patient. Hold back for the big day. You have the ability for under 3' 45". Don't blow it now. Run at 9 minutes on weekend long run spend a couple of days in next 10 doing careful speed intervals eg 3x1 mile at 5k pace with jogging recovery. Last week do 5-7 miles on Wednesday with only 2 of them at marathon pace-8min miles. HOLD back!

With your legs and my training programme we would break 3 and a 1/2 hours. Good luck and maybe see you at the start. I am in the 3.30 to 4.00 wave and will be wearing my Crystal Palace shirt with Glen Murray on the back. Not really but that would stop you walking....

not the time to tell you I did 21 miles this morning then? Took me 2 hours and 50 minutes. Decided it would be my last long run and will be doing much shorter and slower runs from here on in...I will hold back from now on, just wanted to push myself one last time. Off work for the next 2 weeks so will be getting plenty of rest. I'm not planning on walking at all, far from it...FFS Murray!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here