Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Your trainers' uppers may still be in decent condition, but there is no way that the cushioning will be. Most trainers are good for about 500 miles. So depending on weekly mileage, the average runner will replace them at least 2 times a year to avoid impact related injuries.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hear you on the Asics' longevity! Had mine around five years and must've stood up to a good few thousand km all told. They're still pretty usable, but thought I'd pre-empt them falling to bits during a race by breaking in some new shoes. I had the same thing - I very nearly bought the same ones, but those Adidas jumped out and I'm (so far) glad I went with them.

Your trainers' uppers may still be in decent condition, but there is no way that the cushioning will be. Most trainers are good for about 500 miles. So depending on weekly mileage, the average runner will replace them at least 2 times a year to avoid impact related injuries.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I ran the Great South Run yesterday, did the 10 miles in 1hr 51mins. Would have liked to have been a little quicker, but there were probably too many runners for a 10 mile run and it was pretty difficult to get into a rhythm whilst dodging in and around people.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I ran the Great South Run yesterday, did the 10 miles in 1hr 51mins. Would have liked to have been a little quicker, but there were probably too many runners for a 10 mile run and it was pretty difficult to get into a rhythm whilst dodging in and around people.

Good effort, PP.

In contrast I ran the Midnight half marathon around Brighton and Hove pretty much on my own, in 1:54. Not that many people doing it, and as I missed the first 'mass' start at 11:30, I went off with a few others, but we soon got split up because of our different race paces. Anyone that is interested in hill training, look no further than Mill Road. The climb seems to go on, and on, and on, and just when you think it's going to level out, there's another tester!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Just a quick question if I may?

I was running 5k. (and a few 10k.) comfortably for about a year, and then sprained my left ankle, for the second time, and was out for about twelve weeks. I went back to my usual 5k. routine, and ran it about 6 times over two weeks, then found after about 1.5k. I was getting pain down the front of my legs between my knees and ankles, in my shins. I looked on the net, and shin splints came up. No other variables have changed in the twelve weeks, so I'm hoping it is just the layoff that has had this effect. I'm going to try running on alternate days, and see if I can 'run' through it. Any thoughts anybody? Ta

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Just a quick question if I may?

I was running 5k. (and a few 10k.) comfortably for about a year, and then sprained my left ankle, for the second time, and was out for about twelve weeks. I went back to my usual 5k. routine, and ran it about 6 times over two weeks, then found after about 1.5k. I was getting pain down the front of my legs between my knees and ankles, in my shins. I looked on the net, and shin splints came up. No other variables have changed in the twelve weeks, so I'm hoping it is just the layoff that has had this effect. I'm going to try running on alternate days, and see if I can 'run' through it. Any thoughts anybody? Ta

Shin splints indeed. Extremely common particularly after a lay off such as yours. Rest up until you're no longer in any discomfort and then get out there again. After a few workouts your body should recondition itself to how it was before and you shouldn't have any more problems. If however it refuses to go away then perhaps try one of those sports shops who will analyse your running style and recommend a particular trainer which best suits your style. Incorrect and unsuitable footwear can also cause shin splints. Hope this helps

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I thought I had shin splints a couple of years ago

At the same time, I tried wearing compression socks after running and the pain suddenly went away. Obv not sure if the two are linked but since i've been wearing the socks after (and sometimes during) long runs, I haven't had the pain since.

Worth a try maybe?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought I had shin splints a couple of years ago

At the same time, I tried wearing compression socks after running and the pain suddenly went away. Obv not sure if the two are linked but since i've been wearing the socks after (and sometimes during) long runs, I haven't had the pain since.

Worth a try maybe?

This with bells on. Compression socks after runs were the only thing that kept me going when I first took up running - anything over 1 and a half miles used to leave me in agony! After a while I found that the compression socks weren't needed as I got used to running the longer distances.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
F**king Bloomberg.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My target race is the SDW50, Worthing to Eastbourne along the South Downs Way, in April.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Completed my 11 full marathons this year & 13 other races. A few days rest & then flying out to Israel in early January to run my 60th marathon in Tiberias. Probably the only Brit!

I doff my cap to you sir, an amazing effort. Completing one was hard enough for me although I'm planning on running the Brighton 2014.

Tried my first run in eight months yesterday could barely complete two miles.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Completed my first run of the year on Thursday.
4 miles in 41 minutes which is pretty decent for me.
I'm on an Adidas 'MiCoach' plan of 4x run per week for 9 weeks.
Got some new shiny runners for Xmas so no excuses :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First marathon of 2013 ( & my 60th) will be run next Thursday in Israel.
Three people doing it from the UK.
I have a chance of making a bronze for Blighty!

Good luck Steve. My build-up to Brighton Marathon has started better than expected, with 41 miles clocked up in 2013 already.

I was very welcome of a rest day today, before I embark on some speed work tomorrow...

Good luck to all other NSC runners for 2013, whatever your goals or races.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here