Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Did 5 miles on saturday and had issues with my shins. Might have to give these compression socks a go as my trainers are only about 100 miles old.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Just restarting my training for the Brighton half next Feb, does anyone use any GPS trackers? My phone keeps losing signal

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I'm starting today spurred on by the fact that I have been ill for about a month and all of my "fit and healthy" mates get ill but seem to fight it off very quickly. Also, for the first time in my life I feel like a complete slob. I am not a heavy drinker and I don't smoke but I work from home and due to a combination of factors I have realised that I have found myself in a very unfit place.

Anyway, I am not the kind of person that feels sorry for myself, I know what I need to do and in about an hour I will start doing it. I have also joined a gym as I feel like I need a few varying kicks up the backside.

I have found reading through this thread very inspirational. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm starting today spurred on by the fact that I have been ill for about a month and all of my "fit and healthy" mates get ill but seem to fight it off very quickly. Also, for the first time in my life I feel like a complete slob. I am not a heavy drinker and I don't smoke but I work from home and due to a combination of factors I have realised that I have found myself in a very unfit place.

Anyway, I am not the kind of person that feels sorry for myself, I know what I need to do and in about an hour I will start doing it. I have also joined a gym as I feel like I need a few varying kicks up the backside.

I have found reading through this thread very inspirational. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Good stuff - it's amazing the mileage you can do if you take a little and often approach and slowly add more to your runs each time.

............... Good for you. I used to be very unfit in my 20s, took up running at 28, ran my first marathon at 29, became fitter & peaked at age 40. Now 45 years & age is being relatively kind. Still run one marathon a month, one race at least half marathon a month, and only catch a bad cold once every two years, as eat well & drink in moderation. You never come back from a run thinking I wish I hadn't.

The step outside of the door is always the hardest.

You can do it.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Just restarting my training for the Brighton half next Feb, does anyone use any GPS trackers? My phone keeps losing signal

I use a Garmin Forerunner 310. It's a little on the chunky side but I actually like the oversized look as it makes it easier to read and operate as you run. The technology is a few years old now but from a reliability POV it's rock solid. It sometimes takes a while to find the GPS signal but once 'locked' it very rarely drops out. I'm a bit of a statto when it comes to logging my training so for me it's an essential bit of my running kit. I got mine for around £150 via Amazon a couple of years back ...

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Anyone planning to give this a go on Wednesday - http://thepebbledash.co.uk/

From the website - 'We're a friendly 10k race held every month, on a Wednesday evening, along Hove Prom. The next race will be held 9th January, 2013.

Starting every month at 7:30pm, we're the ideal opportunity for you to mix up your mid-week running with a fast 10k timed race.

Whether you're an experienced runner with a hard midweek session in your training program or you're running 10k for the first time - there's something for everyone at the Pebbledash.'

I'm going to give it a try, always nice to break up the training with something a little different!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I use a Garmin Forerunner 310. It's a little on the chunky side but I actually like the oversized look as it makes it easier to read and operate as you run. The technology is a few years old now but from a reliability POV it's rock solid. It sometimes takes a while to find the GPS signal but once 'locked' it very rarely drops out. I'm a bit of a statto when it comes to logging my training so for me it's an essential bit of my running kit. I got mine for around £150 via Amazon a couple of years back ...

Got exactly the same one and its a great bit if kit and I swore by it when training for the London Marathon last year
Been out ill for a month but first run yesterday of 8 miles in an hour and eight mins, so happy with that and back on course for running for REMF in the Brighton Marathon

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
............... Good for you. I used to be very unfit in my 20s, took up running at 28, ran my first marathon at 29, became fitter & peaked at age 40. Now 45 years & age is being relatively kind. Still run one marathon a month, one race at least half marathon a month, and only catch a bad cold once every two years, as eat well & drink in moderation. You never come back from a run thinking I wish I hadn't.

You can do it.

Thanks. Just got back from twice around Hove Park though I am not going to pretend I ran even half that. My plan is to spend the next week or so just getting things moving again with a mixture of walking and jogging (I have been advised to do this but I'll happily accept any other suggestions) and slowly increase the jog to walk ratio.

My calves ached more at the beginning but seemed to loosen up as I got going. My legs definitely ache but less than I thought they would. I think I might need some better/newer trainers.

Other than that - all good.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Thanks. Just got back from twice around Hove Park though I am not going to pretend I ran even half that. My plan is to spend the next week or so just getting things moving again with a mixture of walking and jogging (I have been advised to do this but I'll happily accept any other suggestions) and slowly increase the jog to walk ratio.

My calves ached more at the beginning but seemed to loosen up as I got going. My legs definitely ache but less than I thought they would. I think I might need some better/newer trainers.

Other than that - all good.

Good work!!

That is exactly how I got going, before you know it you will be up to 5k and then the world is your oyster!!

Get some decent running trainers sooner rather than later. Whilst you are building up your distance you can break them in.

Best of luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Water taps. Are there more than this on seafront between hove Lagoon and Rottingdean?

.Hove lagoon near Deep Sea Anglers
.near Babylon Lounge (West End Cafe)
.west end of Hove Lawns on seafront

I get a bit thirsty after this. Any further East so I dont need to carry too much to Rottingdean and back?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I took a look at that, can't really justify £200 which is what Amazon says now so I picked up the 110. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning. Cheers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You can do it.

This is so true. When I woke up yesterday, I had initially binned plans for fahrtlek training, and resigned myself to completing a fast-ish run. However, after a gentle warm-up, I was soon sprinting between lamp-posts and other assorted markers. I managed 6.1 miles – screwing up my plans for a 10km in the process because I cocked up the conversion from miles. Fatigue had set in by then.

Thankful of a rest day today, and looking forward to that longer run early doors tomorrow.

Another mention for parkrun (5km), in case anyone's not aware of it. Starts at 9am every Saturday in Hove Park. You need to register first, and print off a barcode - http://www.parkrun.com. It's free and great fun, and it also gives you a bit of a competitive edge at the same time.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Been on 1 run since November, but my girlfriend goes back to uni on Saturday, so ill either go Saturday night if I feel like crying, or Monday! Doesn't take me long to get back into it! I love running. Especially with you the problems I'm having with my ex and access to my son, helps so much

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Water taps. Are there more than this on seafront between hove Lagoon and Rottingdean?

.Hove lagoon near Deep Sea Anglers
.near Babylon Lounge (West End Cafe)
.west end of Hove Lawns on seafront

I get a bit thirsty after this. Any further East so I dont need to carry too much to Rottingdean and back?

I cant believe Brighton Council answered before NSC! Viki at seafront office added these taps for any long runners not wanting to carry to much water.

"The only tap that is available between the Brighton Pier and the Marina is one located just by the Chalets on Madeira Drive. The chalets are on the beach just on the West side of the Volleyball Centre (Yellowave) you will find it on the fence by the gate. I have checked the tap this morning and it is operating as it should. Once you get along to the Marina the next nearest tap is a Saltdean on the Eastern wall of the last set of chalets. "

So that I haven't only replied to my own thread I will say that the Garmin Forerunner 305 I use is brilliant and helps keeping those training runs at the right pace. I am not sure if I would buy one at £200 but my brother got given a load as freebies at work 3 years ago.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Any place available for Brighton half marathon? I can donate £30 to Martlets in return.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here