Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Do you mean to say that although the LSZ reduction formula cannot handle bound states, massless particles and topological solitons, it can be generalized to cover bound states, by use of composite fields which are often nonlocal. Furthermore, the method, or variants thereof, have turned out to be also fruitful in other fields of theoretical physics. For example in statistical physics they can be used to get a particularly general formulation of the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

Or did I miss the point?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Running is going to be my "thing" this year. I've always been pretty good stamina wise, having played football pretty much all my life, but it's time for a change in direction. My brother runs avidly, and it's time I caught up. I go for regular jogs, just to keep fit, but my goal this year is to run at least a couple of half marathons, and then maybe look at a marathon early next year.

I bought a pair of bare foot running shoes, and have read quite a bit about getting used to them, etc. Quite excited seeing how they compare to the normal running shoes I'm used to.

Already got a couple of short races in my mind that I'd like to do. Was already to get going, but then badly tweaked my knee in my last football match. Rested for 5 days, and now off traveling for 4 days, so hopefully when I get back I'll be good to go.

Excited.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Rottingdean and back from Shoreham-by-Sea early this morning in the pissing rain and strong winds. Now look at it out there! Completed in just under three hours, which I was quite happy with...

Good luck to those in marathon training doing their long run today.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Running is going to be my "thing" this year. I've always been pretty good stamina wise, having played football pretty much all my life, but it's time for a change in direction. My brother runs avidly, and it's time I caught up. I go for regular jogs, just to keep fit, but my goal this year is to run at least a couple of half marathons, and then maybe look at a marathon early next year.

I bought a pair of bare foot running shoes, and have read quite a bit about getting used to them, etc. Quite excited seeing how they compare to the normal running shoes I'm used to.

Already got a couple of short races in my mind that I'd like to do. Was already to get going, but then badly tweaked my knee in my last football match. Rested for 5 days, and now off traveling for 4 days, so hopefully when I get back I'll be good to go.

Excited.

So far, I've completed one 3.3 mile outdoor run in 30 minutes, and two 5k runs, on a treadmill admittedly, in 25 minutes. You have to start somewhere, right..?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
January saw me total 115 miles. Aiming for 1200 miles this year so a good steady start. Missed a few days due to the sodding weather so quite happy. Parkrun tomorrow.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Run my first ever 10 miler last week. No particular event, just the sheer fun of it. Unbelievable the difference in motivation when you go running with someone else. Crossed the finishing line in 1 hour and 23 minutes. The thing that surprised me was from a cardiovascular point of view I could have run another 10 miles. My legs on the other hand said differently. Has got me thinking about a marathon now though. I know for sure I can do it, I'm just not sure I have the time or motivation to train for it. Its a big commitment.

Would be interested to hear from some marathon runners reference the training side of things

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Run my first ever 10 miler last week. No particular event, just the sheer fun of it. Unbelievable the difference in motivation when you go running with someone else. Crossed the finishing line in 1 hour and 23 minutes. The thing that surprised me was from a cardiovascular point of view I could have run another 10 miles. My legs on the other hand said differently. Has got me thinking about a marathon now though. I know for sure I can do it, I'm just not sure I have the time or motivation to train for it. Its a big commitment.

Would be interested to hear from some marathon runners reference the training side of things

I have done two marathons (2010 & 2012) and I am by no means a runner. The first year I didn't train enough, I was running quite a bit but not the long distances that you need and basically fell apart during marathon, finishing in about 4:40 and feeling horrific. Last year I did more long runs/interval training and the difference was crazy. Felt ok going round and if it wasn't for my knee packing in at mile 24 think I could have beaten my time of 3:58 quite considerably.. I honestly don't think the training is that time-consuming once you get running and the short runs become more of a hobby. Basically gotta find 45 mins out of your day 2/3 time a week. Those long Sunday morning 20mile jobies alone are by far the worst part. If you can run 10 without too many problems you could easily do a marathon with a bit of training.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Do you mean to say that although the LSZ reduction formula cannot handle bound states, massless particles and topological solitons, it can be generalized to cover bound states, by use of composite fields which are often nonlocal. Furthermore, the method, or variants thereof, have turned out to be also fruitful in other fields of theoretical physics. For example in statistical physics they can be used to get a particularly general formulation of the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

Or did I miss the point?

I'll be honest Knocky1, my knowledge of Quantum Field Theory is somewhat limited.

I think what we are looking at here is a 'pocket post' caused be not closing down the Tapatalk app before stuffing my phone in my pocket.

Either that or I am the reincarnation of Wolfhart Zimmermann ...

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I have done two marathons (2010 & 2012) and I am by no means a runner. The first year I didn't train enough, I was running quite a bit but not the long distances that you need and basically fell apart during marathon, finishing in about 4:40 and feeling horrific. Last year I did more long runs/interval training and the difference was crazy. Felt ok going round and if it wasn't for my knee packing in at mile 24 think I could have beaten my time of 3:58 quite considerably.. I honestly don't think the training is that time-consuming once you get running and the short runs become more of a hobby. Basically gotta find 45 mins out of your day 2/3 time a week. Those long Sunday morning 20mile jobies alone are by far the worst part. If you can run 10 without too many problems you could easily do a marathon with a bit of training.

Great insight there. I go 2/3 times a week as well as playing regular squash so getting out there isn't a problem. The problem I've got is I get bored very easily. The majority of runs I go on end up in me sacking it off after anything between 3-5 miles. Not because of fatigue but simply boredom. I cannot seem to overcome this unless I'm running with someone else when my competitive streak and personal pride comes into play.

Perhaps a marathon just isn't for me

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
So far, I've completed one 3.3 mile outdoor run in 30 minutes, and two 5k runs, on a treadmill admittedly, in 25 minutes. You have to start somewhere, right..?

I seem to find running on a treadmill harder than running outside these days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be honest Knocky1, my knowledge of Quantum Field Theory is somewhat limited.

I think what we are looking at here is a 'pocket post' caused be not closing down the Tapatalk app before stuffing my phone in my pocket.

Either that or I am the reincarnation of Wolfhart Zimmermann ...

Glad to hear that. Can now get back on thread. Marathon training going well and after 18 miles last weekend hoping to do, on Sunday, the first of three 20 milers in my training plan for Brighton marathon. For poidy I would point out that LSD (not LS Z) is important for the weekly long run. Long SLOW distance. Run first half at 20% marathon pace and 10% off pace second half. Be realistic on your marathon pace. This run trains the body to burn fat for energy and conserve your glycogen. It strengthens slow twitch fibres.

Anyone doing the portsmouth half same day as Beacon half?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Alright all

Really getting in to running again this year and have a few points/questions

me and some mates are aiming for the Bristol half in September, just wondering if anyone has one this race and what would a realisitic time be? I'm 25 and am pretty fit but havent done loads of running before. Excercise 6 times a week however and have a pretty good tank though. my only other race was Brighton 10k a few years ago in horrific weather and i did it in 47.45.

also are their advantages in running up hills and doing some severe climbing? i work in the countryside and did a horrific 4.6 mile hill run yesterday and my knee and hip feel screwed beyond belief...any tips?

thanks

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
First time I've dipped into this running chat.
Always hated running but need to get fit so I'm in the Brighton marathon and all has been going well. Now I've stepped up in distance my knees are completely shot to bits for at least a week. A half marathon is ok but 15 miles+ means I can hardly walk for a week, let alone train. I'm taking daily amino acids and cod liver oil. Anyone else with knee problems got any tips to help me ?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I seem to find running on a treadmill harder than running outside these days.

This. I never seem to sweat as much outside because of the cooling breeze, plus there are more distractions because you're actually going somewhere and seeing things.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
First time I've dipped into this running chat.
Always hated running but need to get fit so I'm in the Brighton marathon and all has been going well. Now I've stepped up in distance my knees are completely shot to bits for at least a week. A half marathon is ok but 15 miles+ means I can hardly walk for a week, let alone train. I'm taking daily amino acids and cod liver oil. Anyone else with knee problems got any tips to help me ?

glad someone has brought this up without me having to trawl through the thread. I did 10k today following a quite severe hill run on Thursday and one area of my right knee has been hurting since, not sure whether it's an injury or just my body getting the shock as i haven't ran properly for a while? not sure whether it's minor or whether i should wait a week until it's fine again and then try another run. If i have similar pain i guess i must be doing something wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here