Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I run into the wind first to get the lift back. The Albion Challenge is an interesting training run, maybe when you turn to endurance marathons Gillingham could be included.

What I am most upset about is your mapping is much better than my 4 year old U.S. Garmin Forerunner 305 provides. I have tried updating the software but still only get A roads. Mine is not connected to the internet any ideas what I need to do anyone? Maybe I need Garmin Connect?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I run into the wind first to get the lift back. The Albion Challenge is an interesting training run, maybe when you turn to endurance marathons Gillingham could be included.

What I am most upset about is your mapping is much better than my 4 year old U.S. Garmin Forerunner 305 provides. I have tried updating the software but still only get A roads. Mine is not connected to the internet any ideas what I need to do anyone? Maybe I need Garmin Connect?

Talk to myself....Have got Garmin Connect up and running now. Much better information. This Sunday's run, if I have got it right.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/441615263 Thanks for giving me the tip.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just realised that gives access to all runs. Julian Assange would have a field day. So can see Nuts did a very respectable Screwfix 10k dash yesterday! No lazy runs now.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Did anyone do the longman run last Sunday? Was a good little cross country in Falmer - I did the 18.5 with about a mile or so to go I came across a crest and the AMEX came into view :albion2:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I just bought some 'Sport Beans' as I've been finding that on my longer runs, despite having no stamina issues, my legs get rather heavy after about an hour. I'm hoping that these will a) help with my legs, and b) not mess up my guts, as I don't run well if I run within an hour of eating.

So, I'll give them a go on my long run this weekend to see how I react to them, but I was wondering what other people's experiences of using these sort of running gels are?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I just bought some 'Sport Beans' as I've been finding that on my longer runs, despite having no stamina issues, my legs get rather heavy after about an hour. I'm hoping that these will a) help with my legs, and b) not mess up my guts, as I don't run well if I run within an hour of eating.

So, I'll give them a go on my long run this weekend to see how I react to them, but I was wondering what other people's experiences of using these sort of running gels are?

Sugary stuff like that is good for instant energy needed on a run, and is easy to digest so shouldn't cause any stomach upsets.

Was it you that had an issue with 'heavy legs' after not very long that posted on here previously? An hour of steady running is still a relatively short period of time to be suffering from depleted glycogen stores.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sugary stuff like that is good for instant energy needed on a run, and is easy to digest so shouldn't cause any stomach upsets.

Was it you that had an issue with 'heavy legs' after not very long that posted on here previously? An hour of steady running is still a relatively short period of time to be suffering from depleted glycogen stores.

Ta, thanks for the heads up, that has rather set my mind at ease.

Wasn't me that posted about heavy legs previously, and to be fair I've only just got up over an hour within the last few of weeks as part of my half marathon training - longest run so far was 11 miles in 90 minutes at an easy pace so I was barely breaking a sweat at the end... just my legs were a bit heavy, which I assume is just because I'm not used to running for that length of time!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ta, thanks for the heads up, that has rather set my mind at ease.

Wasn't me that posted about heavy legs previously, and to be fair I've only just got up over an hour within the last few of weeks as part of my half marathon training - longest run so far was 11 miles in 90 minutes at an easy pace so I was barely breaking a sweat at the end... just my legs were a bit heavy, which I assume is just because I'm not used to running for that length of time!

Heavy legs after 90 mins does sound like normal tired muscles. The guy I was thinking of was specifically saying he had weak legs after only a few K if I remember correctly, which to me indicates a potentially trapped nerve at the base of the spine rather than muscle fatigue.

Hope the gels/jelly beans work for you now; they should be fine. However, I take no responsibility if you end up running your last 3-4 miles with shitty shorts!!

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Like the idea of the Brighton Challenge - When I'm down in Poole visiting the folks I often go past Dean Court on route to the beach on a 15/16 miler. Obviously been on the same site for ever, only turned round 90 degrees!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I used to use gels on longer runs but have long since given up - found the instant sugar hit was not long lasting, and some of them played havoc with my guts. Have progressively tried to train my body to use fat rather than glycogen (God knows I have unlimited amounts of it) and can now run for quite a while without food. Running snacks for me now are high fat low carb things like nuts. If I'm doing a race I'll grab whatever is on offer - typically biscuits and stuff and I'm still experimenting for really long events - currently trying sachets of baby food which seems to work. I always run 'empty' (no breakfast) and don't deliberately eat carbs the night before. Recent studies show you can only store enough glycogen for max 2 hours effort anyway, any more will be stored as fat.

I'm not a racing snake by any means - more of a middle aged, mid-pack plodder who plods along for fun

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I don't like gels, I use wine gums

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Talk to myself....Have got Garmin Connect up and running now. Much better information. This Sunday's run, if I have got it right.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/441615263 Thanks for giving me the tip.

Garmin Connect also gives updates so you should now get far more accurate routes.

I'll leave Gillingham for now, never really took a shine to the place anyway. I'm going to do the Albion challenge either tomorrow or Tuesday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Albion challenge kind of completed today, although I stopped at 18 rather than run in a full loop to make 19 miles.

It was a really tough run, very hilly up Carden Avenue & The Falmer Road and then I had to contend with a strong head wind from Rottingdean to Hove so the 18 miles took me 2 hours 45 mins which initially I was disappointed with, but on reflection it's not too bad based on route and conditions.

Passed the old Goldstone at just over a mile, Withdean at 3 miles and the Amex came in to sight just before the 7th. I ran around the East stand and then up onto the Falmer Road.

It's a good route, but in hindsight should have reversed the loop and then I would have got a good tail wind out and then went more inland with the wind against.

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/444013672

Above is a link of the run detailing the route I took for any interested.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Brighton half tomorrow for a few on here, including myself, tomorrow. Thankfully the weather forecast is decent if a little chilly perhaps. Has anyone been down on the seafront today to see what the course looks like? Good luck to all taking part anyway.

[tweet]434667303163420673[/tweet]

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Brighton half tomorrow for a few on here, including myself, tomorrow. Thankfully the weather forecast is decent if a little chilly perhaps. Has anyone been down on the seafront today to see what the course looks like? Good luck to all taking part anyway.

[tweet]434667303163420673[/tweet]

That is a very good point! Doubt with everything else Council has to deal with at present that clearing pebbles will be a priority. Potentially a major hazard for the runners particularly in prom sections where runners both ways so cant avoid.

But at least decent weather and good luck to all those taking part....and hey, be careful out there (name the detective series from the 80's I copied that from?).

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Ive taken a last minute place for Brighton Marathon for REMF any tips or 4 week marathon program. Mu general fitness is ok nothing special

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ive taken a last minute place for Brighton Marathon for REMF any tips or 4 week marathon program. Mu general fitness is ok nothing special

Good lad!

Depends on whether you want to get round, or go for a time?

Have you done a marathon before, and if so, what was your time and how much training did you do?

And what sort of distance are you used to running of late?

BTW you've still got 7 weeks presuming you aren't considering a 3 week taper?!

Get back to us on the above and the regular racers amongst us might be able to help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here