Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Cheers.

At this stage getting round will be good. I used to run a lot but never done a Marathon. My fitness levels have dropped the past 2 years or so though and exercise had been dropped to walking.
Ive done a 3 mile gentle jog today in 40 minutes and it was ok little tough.
7 weeks makes me feel a little better.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just thought I'd share this. Ran a 10k last September in 55 minutes or so. Not fast but not bad for a beginner. Then I hurt my knee running downhill and haven't really been able to run at all. So today went for my first run in four months. Just 7k but up and down the inevitable T Wells mountains. Time was nothing special but I'm back in the straps and looking forward to running more regularly.

Anyone whose fallen off the running wagon since the bad weather set in, it's now time to stop with the excuses and get out there to enjoy a run. Will report back when I start to get my distances up a bit.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
After getting the all clear to resume running three weeks ago after 19 months out, I posted a new PB for 5k this morning of 26:26, aided in no small way by myself being 3st lighter now than when I last ran :) SC is back, SC is back...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good work SC. I found my times drop dramatically when I'd shed the pounds.

Now I've bumped this, I need some help/advice about eating/drinking while running.

I'm running the Brighton Marathon, but am also completing a Olympic Triathlon immediately beforehand. I've never eaten during races, but given I'll be on the go for at least seven hours, I feel I need to change that approach. I tried a gel once - just before the big hill on the Mince Pie 10 course – and it destroyed me and my momentum. Clearly a lack of understanding them, but I've been too scared to try them again.

So what would people recommend and when? I'm open to integrating gels into my runs, as well as sweets, fruit, or anything else that works (I recall someone suggesting chocolate brioches). At the moment I'll have a drink on the bike but that's it. I'm also wary of trying anything that might play havoc with my guts and cause me to need a 'comfort break'.

Apologies if it's already been covered in here, but 83 pages is a lot to trawl back through...

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I'd be wary of Brioche - isn't that a croissant type of thing? All I know is that for me, croissants just cause indigestion/heartburn and have no calorific value at all. Flapjack and a snickers are my pre cross country staple..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good work SC. I found my times drop dramatically when I'd shed the pounds.

Now I've bumped this, I need some help/advice about eating/drinking while running.

I'm running the Brighton Marathon, but am also completing a Olympic Triathlon immediately beforehand. I've never eaten during races, but given I'll be on the go for at least seven hours, I feel I need to change that approach. I tried a gel once - just before the big hill on the Mince Pie 10 course – and it destroyed me and my momentum. Clearly a lack of understanding them, but I've been too scared to try them again.

So what would people recommend and when? I'm open to integrating gels into my runs, as well as sweets, fruit, or anything else that works (I recall someone suggesting chocolate brioches). At the moment I'll have a drink on the bike but that's it. I'm also wary of trying anything that might play havoc with my guts and cause me to need a 'comfort break'.

Apologies if it's already been covered in here, but 83 pages is a lot to trawl back through...

Rather you than me. Is it training for an ironman? I take it it will be a personal triathlon. Where will you do the swim? I have just shed half a stone this year but only have about a quarter stone to lose before being underweight. I eat loads of organic coconut fat in my porridge everyday. It helps body to burn its fat due to it being medium chain trigycerides and I found it gave me a massive energy boost in triathlons. You could experiment with this. When I did the Caledonian Etape I had boiled eggs in my pocket. They were easy to get through. I would use the bike leg to eat as much as I could. Nearly got a DNF at London when eating a date in transition before run. It got stuck halfway between mouth and stomach and hurt for about 10 minutes and slowed me down a minute or two.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd be wary of Brioche - isn't that a croissant type of thing? All I know is that for me, croissants just cause indigestion/heartburn and have no calorific value at all. Flapjack and a snickers are my pre cross country staple..

I just remember someone (on here possibly?) talking about eating them as they ran. I sometimes have Jaffa Cakes before a run, but never during, hence me wanting to find out what is good and bad.

Rather you than me. Is it training for an ironman? I take it it will be a personal triathlon. Where will you do the swim? I have just shed half a stone this year but only have about a quarter stone to lose before being underweight. I eat loads of organic coconut fat in my porridge everyday. It helps body to burn its fat due to it being medium chain trigycerides and I found it gave me a massive energy boost in triathlons. You could experiment with this. When I did the Caledonian Etape I had boiled eggs in my pocket. They were easy to get through. I would use the bike leg to eat as much as I could. Nearly got a DNF at London when eating a date in transition before run. It got stuck halfway between mouth and stomach and hurt for about 10 minutes and slowed me down a minute or two.

Thanks Knocky - yes, it's just my own mad idea - to help fundraising by doing something a bit more than 'just' a marathon. I had thought about the sea, or the River Adur (being in Shoreham-by-Sea), but soon binned that idea for a number of reasons. The latest plan is to mix up the official Triathlon order and go Run-Swim-Bike, with the swim at Wadurs before biking over to Preston Park.

Boiled eggs are a good shout, and eating on the bike is probably the easiest.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Cheeky 10 miler in the bag today. 1 hour and 24 minutes

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I went out for a run today but after about 100 yards my knee started hurting, I struggled on for about a mile before returning home as the pain was too much, is this common?

Really annoying!

Knee injuries are common. Unfortunately you shouldn't be running until it's sorted, either through rest or maybe Physio.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Thanks Knocky - yes, it's just my own mad idea - to help fundraising by doing something a bit more than 'just' a marathon. I had thought about the sea, or the River Adur (being in Shoreham-by-Sea), but soon binned that idea for a number of reasons. The latest plan is to mix up the official Triathlon order and go Run-Swim-Bike, with the swim at Wadurs before biking over to Preston Park.

Boiled eggs are a good shout, and eating on the bike is probably the easiest.

You sir are CRAZY, but total respect to you...I know I could never do this!

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Ok so before the parkrun at Hove on Saturday I spotted Tony Bloom, he started right in the front row and I saw him finish somewhere around 23-25 minutes...he isn't listed in the results, but it was 100% him. It was great to see him there, but not surprising in the least.

What was surprising, is who I just spotted in the results...finishing with a time of 22:18 was none other than Torbjorn Agdestein! Bizzarre! What is his current situation, I thought he was playing up in Scotland? Makes me feel good to know I beat a professional footballer, a young one at that!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Ok so before the parkrun at Hove on Saturday I spotted Tony Bloom, he started right in the front row and I saw him finish somewhere around 23-25 minutes...he isn't listed in the results, but it was 100% him. It was great to see him there, but not surprising in the least.

What was surprising, is who I just spotted in the results...finishing with a time of 22:18 was none other than Torbjorn Agdestein! Bizzarre! What is his current situation, I thought he was playing up in Scotland? Makes me feel good to know I beat a professional footballer, a young one at that!

Saw TB down at Hove Park parkrun about two years ago, and a mate of mine had a very brief chat with him. Very approachable guy. I was also interested to see him 'warming up' on the pitch with the mascots on Saturday…

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry about the multiple re-quoting. I can't seem to edit it now…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here