Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Possible Brighton Half Marathon / FA Cup 5th round Northern Sunday clash coming up.

The draw has saved you. Wouldn't have thought the poice would allow both on same day but they aren't the brightest of souls. I'll run it for you if there's a problem or for anyone else come to that.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hey guys, I am planning on doing the Brighton Marathon in 2015 and want to start training around about now, but have not got any JOGGING TRAINERS.

Do you have to go in and get tested on what "stance" you are or something?

Also, in terms of training has anyone got any nifty TIPS? (Apart from run lots and don't eat crap obviously)

Also #2, are jogging trainers absolutely vital at this stage when the most I can run really is about 3 miles if I'm lucky.

Also #3, would you recommend getting a check up at the doctors? You do hear occasionally of people just like collapsing dead and stuff when running:down:, dying is not part of my training plans...

As someone who only took up running after meeting my wife a few years ago, and spent a couple of years clumping around in football trainers, I can't emphasise enough what a good investment a pair of running shoes (and running socks too) will be - I went from regularly having blisters and a sore ankle, to having neither and feeling much more comfortable whilst running.

One other piece of advise - things chafe, use Vaseline.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
As someone who only took up running after meeting my wife a few years ago, and spent a couple of years clumping around in football trainers, I can't emphasise enough what a good investment a pair of running shoes (and running socks too) will be - I went from regularly having blisters and a sore ankle, to having neither and feeling much more comfortable whilst running.

One other piece of advise - things chafe, use Vaseline.

Cannot emphasise the trainers part enough [MENTION=27901]Ravids[/MENTION] and the vaseline.

Especially the Vaseline.

Happy running everyone.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Done £260 in Sweat Shop this lunch time, completely new running wardrobe minus shoes taking advantage of their sale plus my very first Garmin watch the 110.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do you live bottom of Carlisle Road? I always leave my garmin by the window whilst getting ready and the satellites have been located by the time I leave. The only problem I have with the garmin is sticking to a pace. I always seem to be up to 20 secs off or up on the desired pace. Still a brilliant device.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Almost princes crescent Hove which is where I set off from. Ill follow that advice and leave the watch next to my balcony door.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks for the responses, I will grab a pair of jogging shoes from the jog shop on Monday.

I have £90, will this be enough for a size 11/12 pair? What are their prices like?

Yes comfortably I'm the same size - Let them put you on the treadmill first to get an idea of your running technique, if your like me then the Brooks Ravenna's are on sale at £90 and are a great shoe.

Last edited:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I seem to be having a couple of issues when I'm running above 5k, blisters on the bottom of my big toe just above where it joins the foot (mainly on the left foot) and bruising on my second and third toenails (right foot). I'm using Sketchers Go Run 2 which promote a fore/mid foot strike and when I first put them on it feels like there's some extra room, but not too much, and I usually wear Nike anti blister socks.

Any advice on how I could (try to) remedy these 2 issues?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would appreciate some advice from experienced runners around training for a marathon.

This is my second marathon so I've been through the process before but I'm looking to get quicker, my original time was 4:20:00 I'm certain I can reduce that to under 4 hours.

I'm up to 14 miles which I completed in 1 hour 59 minutes. What I want to know is how long should your longest run be? Researching this anywhere from 18-22 seems to be the general rule. With 10 weeks to go and 3 of them tapering down I have 7 weeks of increasing distance so a mile per week up to 20 with the final run of 22 seems realistic.

Also there seems to be some conjecture over the length of taper most agree 21 days is optimum but others suggest 2 weeks is ample. What are your experiences?

And finally is two long runs per week too much? For the past two weeks I've run Sunday & Tuesday both as long runs.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I'd usually go for one long run a week, longest at 22 miles seems fine with a two week taper.

Perhaps some mile reps on the Tuesday - 6 x 1 mile at a faster pace? Don't just plod out miles, make sure you do some faster stuff too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would appreciate some advice from experienced runners around training for a marathon.

This is my second marathon so I've been through the process before but I'm looking to get quicker, my original time was 4:20:00 I'm certain I can reduce that to under 4 hours.

I'm up to 14 miles which I completed in 1 hour 59 minutes. What I want to know is how long should your longest run be? Researching this anywhere from 18-22 seems to be the general rule. With 10 weeks to go and 3 of them tapering down I have 7 weeks of increasing distance so a mile per week up to 20 with the final run of 22 seems realistic.

Also there seems to be some conjecture over the length of taper most agree 21 days is optimum but others suggest 2 weeks is ample. What are your experiences?

And finally is two long runs per week too much? For the past two weeks I've run Sunday & Tuesday both as long runs.

I follow a Runnersworld training plan which only has one long run a week but 4-5 days of mixed distances. It's served me well. I taper down from 18 miles over 3 weeks but the last week is 5 days of very light running and 3 or 4 miles max - the idea being the work is done and you now need to build up the energy and fluid levels.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am sure you can beat 4 hours too. It's all up to getting the training right.

For myself in 3 marathon training sessions 20 miles is longest run. This year I will do this 3 weeks before. Any nearer and I would not recover for marathon day.

Best look at runnersworld training plans (for all finish times). The important factor for me is getting 50% of the week run at slow pace. Recovery or easy. I am aiming for sub 3.45 at Brighton. This 50% is run at 9'30" to 10'30" pace. Mileage so far is 49 miles a week and maxes at 57 miles. Monday Friday and Satuday ae easy days. Tuesday strength running 6 miles from 7'40" fartlek sessions, Thursday running 8-10 miles at 10 seconds off marathon pace (8'15" to 8'30") and Sunday long run at 8'50" to 9'05".

God knows what will happen at the end but I am enjoying it this year but I must say even I got bored reeading that!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd usually go for one long run a week, longest at 22 miles seems fine with a two week taper.

Perhaps some mile reps on the Tuesday - 6 x 1 mile at a faster pace? Don't just plod out miles, make sure you do some faster stuff too.

Absolutely. Last year I messed up by too many miles too slowly and feel much better this year and less injury prone (fingers crossed).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I follow a Runnersworld training plan which only has one long run a week but 4-5 days of mixed distances. It's served me well. I taper down from 18 miles over 3 weeks but the last week is 5 days of very light running and 3 or 4 miles max - the idea being the work is done and you now need to build up the energy and fluid levels.

Absolute agreement again. At 54 the taper is even more important, the springs in my legs need much more recovery and wd40.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been out in my new Brooks Ghost 6 trainers. Wow, didn't realize how much my old shoes had worn down; literally had a spring in my step this morning.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks for all the advice above, went to Hove Park Run today and I think thats good training as I find running 5k at 7 minute mile pace just as tough if not tougher than a long run at 8:30 pace.

The Fartlek sessions sound interesting so I might incorporate that into one of my shorter mid-week runs.

Upping it to fifteen miles tomorrow morning which will be my 50th mile in 8 days so definitely wearing the new shoes in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here